Triumph 675 Forums banner

New chain time

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  tlax04 
#1 ·
Do you guys take your bikes to a shop or change the chain yourself?
Id like to try to do it myself. What kind of rivet tool do you use?

#6 ·
I've used the Cycle Gear chain tool kit, but I only end up using the riveter. I do all the grinding/removal with "regular" garage tools (drill, etc).

Once you've done it, it's not too bad, did my last one (I always do new sprockets at the same time) in a couple hours, and about half of that time was spent looking for tools since I was borrowing some of my roommates drills and stuff...plus I was an idiot and cut the chain off before I loosened the front sprocket, so made that part more difficult for myself.

#7 ·
I always liked doing my own maintenance on bikes and hate to pay people to things that I can do at home. I used the RK tools chain kit and never had any issues with it. I know a lot of people complained about the tool and broke it because they did not use it correctly. STG had an ok video on how to use the tool on their youtube channel if you are able to find it.

#8 ·
If you are going to do this yourself, PLEASE buy at least 1 spare master link, especially if it is your first time installing a chain.
2 extras is ideal, as shit happens.

Check cyclegear as they have them from time to time for like $45.. still using my RK tool kit from 2004!

#13 ·
Hahahaha. Definitely going the tool route.

i used the cyclegear stockton tool - no problems if you use the correct pins.

as others have done, used angle grinder to grind head off rivet before pushing out with tool.

maybe not absolutely necessary, but using a caliper to measure the new master link rivet gave me more confidence in getting the correct amount of flare...you want enough to keep the sideplate on, but DO NOT split the rivet!
Might go with this tool. Seems like a good deal.

I always liked doing my own maintenance on bikes and hate to pay people to things that I can do at home. I used the RK tools chain kit and never had any issues with it. I know a lot of people complained about the tool and broke it because they did not use it correctly. STG had an ok video on how to use the tool on their youtube channel if you are able to find it.
I love doing my own maintenance. You feel more in tune with the bike the next time you go out.

If you are going to do this yourself, PLEASE buy at least 1 spare master link, especially if it is your first time installing a chain.
2 extras is ideal, as shit happens.

Will keep this in mind. Still learning the process.

Check cyclegear as they have them from time to time for like $45.. still using my RK tool kit from 2004!
Its on sale now. Thinking about jumping on it.

#12 ·
i used the cyclegear stockton tool - no problems if you use the correct pins.

as others have done, used angle grinder to grind head off rivet before pushing out with tool.

maybe not absolutely necessary, but using a caliper to measure the new master link rivet gave me more confidence in getting the correct amount of flare...you want enough to keep the sideplate on, but DO NOT split the rivet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.