Triumph 675 Forums banner

Race Suit Damage - Lexol

6K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  MotoMeets 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, figured I would begin a thread here as I have begun discussions with Alpinestars/Lexol regarding the damage to my Alpinestars Atem race suit.

It's a white suit and I would like to keep it that way.

The suit was purchased in 07/2015, and has been cleaned weekly (as long as I had rode that weekend) using an microfiber applicator and Lexol's 3-in-1 daily care leather cleaner. Based on the fact I am riding in NY, this is 8-10 cleaning sessions.

I had begun to notice a sticky film when I was finished cleaning, despite the fact that I had followed the instructions, apply Lexol to applicator > clean > buff with dry applicator. While this wasn't preferable, it didn't bother me until it began peeling off the red highlights on the suit.

Anyway, both companies are currently processing it as a claim, despite the fact that I just reached out to get some knowledge. Lexol is stating "Once a week is likely too often to condition that material. We suggest once every 3-4 months depending on the use of the item. You could try the Lexol Cleaner or a soapy water with a mild dish detergent to remove the excess however the friction is likely to continue pulling the red accents off. " ...despite the fact that it is a product advertised as "daily care".

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you might be cleaning your suit too much. Once a week? That's borderline crazy.

No white suit stays white for very long, no matter how you clean it. Eventually all white suits become tan/gray.

My advice, learn to love the bug guts on your suit. Makes you look more like a road warrior and less like a power ranger. :D

#4 ·
less like a power ranger. :D
But that's what I was going for!

Here I am saving a Harley rider in distress:

A short 40 mph slide into a gravel pit will take care of those highlights.

For images of what a suit should look like, check out the IoM TT guys. Real people, real roads, real racing.
You mean it isn't just for matching my bike?

#3 ·
A short 40 mph slide into a gravel pit will take care of those highlights.

For images of what a suit should look like, check out the IoM TT guys. Real people, real roads, real racing.

cheerios,

x

#5 ·
Like other said.... daily cleaning may be overkill, but I get it since I also have a white Atem Suit that I try and keep immaculate. Its nice to hear that the companies are actually issuing a claim in your case. I clean my suit about once a month, or about every 2-3 trackdays, for a total of maybe 10 cleanings and have not ran into your issue. Have you tried not using the "daily" cleaner?

Some things I can add to the topic overall...
I also use Lexol cleaner and conditioner, but I use the ones that come in separate bottles. I have learned its better to apply the conditioner to a microfiber first then your suit. I say this because I was using a spray bottle top and when you spray the conditioner directly on the dark areas of the suit, It left small grease type spots that are very slightly visible and won't go away.

I have not had any color come off of my suit from the ten thorough cleanings I have done, I have had the white color from the elastic knee panels come off from rubbing on my stompgrips.

#6 ·
ts nice to hear that the companies are actually issuing a claim in your case.
Alpinestars shot it down rather rudely, and frankly, I was a bit offended considering I did not contact them for a claim and I own/have owned $3k+ in Alpinestars over the last 7 years. Currently in the Atem suit, Super Tech-R boots and GP Tech gloves.

That said, I specifically picked this one up because they "advertised" daily cleaner. I have been applying it as per the instructions, not directly to the leather, to a micro fiber applicator and buffing excess.

All in all, I am going to begin cleaning regularly w/ water and saddle soap. Conditioning with the Lexol once per month.

I am going to push Lexol for misadvertising to get the cost of the repair covered, we will see how that turns out.

#7 ·
For a quick or daily wipe down I use baby wipes. They work good on all but the worst bugs. I only use leather cleaner and the conditioner about once a month if I'm riding a lot. Seems to work ok on my black suit and white gloves. Haven't ridden in my new white suit enough to know how well it will work on that yet.

#9 ·
I've just been using a chamois skin rag soaked in hot water to clean my leather. I think it's key to do it as soon as you get home, vs letting the bug stains soak in and dry over a period of time.

I have used Lexol on my other leather jackets, but just at winter time when I'm not going to be riding for a while. Also use it in my truck a few times a year without any issue. I believe there is a warning statement on the Lexol bottle to try in an inconspicuous area.

#16 ·
You know before I wrote this yesterday, I said to myself, "Should I look into the cosmetic damage that is occurring to my race suit or solve world hunger?". While both sides have major advantages/disadvantages, it was a tight decision. Here is why opted to start the thread.

Race suit damage:
  • Prevent further damage to my suit
  • Learn how to properly care for my suit
  • Rectify the current damage
  • Share the experience on a forum so that others can benefit from my experience

#22 ·
Since it gets pretty warm here in the summer (aka copious amounts of sweat getting into suit), I tend to clean mine 3-4x/year, mostly to condition the leather (more than worrying about it being "clean").

Leather can be cleaned pretty frequently - when I was still active in horses, I would clean my saddle daily with saddle soap (usually a bar, but did use some spray on) and condition it once a week or so.

I still only use the more "traditional" cleaners (in fact, still usually purchase through some horse supplier because they're cheaper). The stuff for car leather isn't the same, so I choose not to use it. My saddles would last far longer than I ever owned them, and they could take a beating.

Daily scrubbing can loosen painted leather I would imagine - unless it's dyed, it's still just a surface color, and scrubbing will eventually loosen it.

#23 ·
UPDATE

UPDATE

Lexol admitted that the formula in the "Daily Care" could potentially be harmful, causing stickiness.

Paid the cost of shipping, and professional cleaning at Anthony's Leather Works that I requested. $200+.

On a side note, Anthony's did a killer job. My suit is so clean that it is like an air freshener, and my entire room smells like clean race suit.

I have taken the recommendations from here, and will be cleaning my leathers with warm water, and a small amount of dish soap going forward. Conditioning every few months, or as needed.

Thank you all for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.