Triumph 675 Forums banner

My bike died on me

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  nixthewiz 
#1 · (Edited)
So I was riding my Triumph 675 on the freeway and the engine started cutting in and out. Then as I come to a stop the engine shut down. If I turn it off and then back on again it would work for a while and then engine will cut in and out and then shut down again. Is my regulator rectifier dead?

#6 ·
I asked the previous owner and he said before he sold it to me his local dealer replaced the RR under the recall.

Is there any instance when bikes get new a new rectifier and the new one dies also?

@Allworld You made me think. The bike sat for about 3 weeks unused and in my area only E10 gas is available. Is 3 weeks enough for water to collect in the tank? The weird thing is I rode the bike for about 40 miles on that old tank of gas and nothing happened. All of a sudden the bike just shuts down on me.

#13 ·
I asked the previous owner and he said before he sold it to me his local dealer replaced the RR under the recall.
If you bought the bike more than a couple of months ago then it wouldn't have been done under the recall as that only came up in about August. It may well have been replaced, but with another crap one. If you look for a thread I started recently then you will see I have posted a photo of the crap R/R next to the good recall R/R. See which one you have. In any event give your dealer the bike VIN and see if it has been fixed under warranty. If not then get it done sharpish.

Not sure if the R/R is the problem in your case as the symptoms seems different to those usually reported on here, but for peace of mind I'd find out for sure if the R/R has been replaced with the MOSFET unit. Quick and easy to do if you check out my photo.

#7 ·
Changing the gas might be a good idea for a test, and dead R/Rs usually exhibit telltale symptoms seemingly absent here. What the previous owner told you might be wrong, or the stator might have been fried or frying without his dealer noticing.

#10 ·
When my r/r went bad, it did not exhibit any of the classic signs i.e low fuel light and gauge cluster not funtioning properly. It would intermittently cut out at around 8k rpm.

When the stator went bad, it felt like there was a misfire/dead spot between 4.5k and 6k rpm. Then the turn signals started to flash 3 time as fast, and finially resulted in stalling. This was over a period of a week. It started with the misfire/dead spot, then a couple of days later the turn signals would blink like crazy, and finially after a few more days the bike would stall when coming to a stop.

My bike had two stators put in it and they both were the exact same symptoms both times.

As for the r/r I only had one replaced (shunt type), and it was upgraded to a mosfet.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm not so sure if it's the RR that went bad. Other people with bad RRs report their batteries got drained. My bike just doesn't do that. I started up 3 times no problem after I shut it down.

I'm hesitant to take it back out cause I don't want it to die on me in traffic again. All of a sudden when I'm riding the rev just goes crazy. No power then goes up to 7-8k rpm and then no power and then goes to 7k rpm and then no power and then goes back to high rpms. After that it just lose all power to the rearwheel no matter how much throttle I give it and I have to coast to a stop then the engine shuts off when the bike is stopped. I'll check the voltage tomorrow and see if it's something electrical.

#18 ·
So today I took the power commander off the bike then went for a test ride. The bike ran well for the first 20 minutes or so. Then as I accelerate from low RPMs to 4-4.5k RPM the rev start increasing and decreasing by itself again. The oscillation is a lot quicker than before. As I get to 5K RPM the jerking stops.

The engine doesn't stall however. Maybe I just need to reflash a new map for aftermarket exhausts? The ECU is still running an old stock map, I have a Jardine slip on on the bike.

#19 ·
When my regulator failed I installed a Rick's Motorsports Hot Shot regulator and have had no problems since. Been about a year or two since I installed this. Before my regulator went bad on my 2007 I had a different issue with the pickup coil on my stator and also had that replaced. Lately no problems.

I would try using the Arrow/Triumph slip on tune from your Triumph dealer for the Jardine slip-ons. This should make it run correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.