Triumph 675 Forums banner

For those that went from a literbike...

9K views 49 replies 31 participants last post by  Dozerdogue 
#1 · (Edited)
...To a 675.
I'm debating on selling my CBR1000RR, and stepping into a D675R. I've got a local dealer that has discounted a '12 model. It's the bike I've wanted for some time. (Besides a S1000RR, which is too expensive)

I like the '13 model, mainly because of the slipper clutch, which my CBR has, but I can't bring myself to spend twice what I paid for my CBR1000RR.
I do think the new generation will be a force to be reckoned with, controversial looks aside. :whistle:
This '12 model is priced well enough to convince me to grab one. I would love to keep my Honda, but my garage is getting a bit ridiculous. :rofl:

Now. My CBR has about a 50 hp advantage. I realize the Triumph has tremendous torque, and is a blast to ride. I'm not saying I wouldn't love it. I've just never ridden one.

My question is for anyone that went from a literbike, to a 675...
Did you miss the raw power of the full liter?

EDIT: Updating 1st post. I purchased the D675R. See post #41.

See less See more
#31 ·
I went the other way from a 675 -> s1000rr. I still ride my 675 occasionally (my brother has it now) and there is a lot I love about that bike...the ergos are perfect, enough grunt, good mileage for street riding and it handles really well. As others have said the power on the s1k is simply berserk and being a BMW fanboi for me I love it.

I dont think you will be disappointed going with a 675R.

#33 ·
a 1000cc SBK / motoGP bike can't be compared to riding a 1000cc sportbike on the road really, neither can a SBK / motoGP racer on a 1000 be compared to someone on a middleweight who chased down a 1000 on the road, street triple is my 7th bike & is absoltely quicker on road than my 2009 R1, Buell 1125CR, Buell XB12, 954 fireblade etc, it can keep up with my mate on a Tuono V4 aprc while he lays black lines out of corners, i couldnt keep with him on my other bikes through the twistys...any monkey can hit the straights & wind on the throttle, cornering is where the skill is & the smaller bikes do it better for me anyway

#34 ·
There is a lot of discussion about "faster" here. That liter bikes, because of more power are, therefore, "faster". That isn't necessarily true. Maybe in a flat out drag, that may be the case, but just because a bike has more power it isn't necessarily faster, particularly on the street. There is a threshold on the street that ALL sportbikes have. 100 mph is just as illegal on a 675 as a liter bike, one MIGHT get there faster, but it's no different. A 70 mph corner is a 70 mph corner. Doesn't matter what you are on. I've seen plenty of middleweights slaughter liters on the track. A lot has to do with the rider, the acceleration curve, and the setup of the bike.

#37 ·
yep i agree , ive had inline 4 1000's, 1200 v-twins, 1125 v-twins, and now on my 675 i'm faster, so the same rider who is quick on a 675 will not always be faster simply by jumping on a 1000, i am proof of that as i was instantly faster on my 675 than on my crossplane R1, the whole reason i went to a 675 is because after many different types of bikes i have found max RWHP is not always quickest bike once you add corners into the mix.

i have another mate who was on a 2006 636 ninja & moved to a 2012 zx10R , he is so much slower now than before, & yep the little 675 is quicker than him through the hills, the zx10r is not slow & powering out of the apex he can pull away but under brakes & corner speed the smaller bike is much better, now if i jumped on his ninja would i be quicker than on my streety ? doubt it

#38 ·
Keep the CBR1000RR for the road, liter bikes are great street bikes and they have power throughout the rev's way more than 600/675's.

My first street bike ever is my '12 S1000RR. I absolutely love the power on the street.. I can just pull the throttle to about 50% and it reminds me of its 193 german hp. Plus the girls like the bigger numbers on the bike's :laugh:.

My 675R would be a great streetbike too, it's just I don't need something that can turn easier when I don't go around finding curves to replace a track.

And yes, between my S1000RR & 675R, I did notice a pretty big difference in power. I feel like on the street you would notice even more of a difference because you are stop and going all the time. The 675R on the track though keeps a higher speed around corners so it's harder to tell a difference in power. Is the 675R slow? Absolutely not.

With the bike's you have, it seems like you would be happy with anything you chose. So, get the 675R cause it's always cool getting something brand spankin' new :nod:,

#39 · (Edited)
And everyone arguing about the 1000 vs. 600 and which one is faster, you're wasting your time arguing. Some of the post's I just read really makes me question if some of you have even been to a track or just have common sense when it comes to this.

Someone could get on a 1000 and go faster on a track than if they were riding a 600. And vise versa. Plus, when you guys constantly are talking about track speed, you don't make any sense. "I bet the 675R is faster on a technical track with small straight's than a 1000". Really? Yes that is true if we are talking about stock form, but you are acting like we are comparing these bike's completely decked out...

Yes, 600's are better on a track for a Novice/Intermediate because it teaches them to hit the apex's better and corner speed. On a liter bike you can be lazier with it on the track because you can catch up to people from the power on straights (I'm not talking racing here).

But since 99% of people don't compete with stock bike's, anyone saying 600's are faster than 1000's on track is wrong. Look at AMA/WERA/CCS/etc.

If were talking about the track here, get a 1000 if you can put lot's of cash into it because it will handle like a 600, but pull like a train :laugh:.

And direct word's Jason DiSalvo told me, "Both classes of bikes have a different style of riding; 1000's are more point and shoot style, while 600's you can keep a higher corner speed so you exit at a faster speed." Something like that haha.

#41 ·
I want to thank you all again for your input. I bought the bike today, after a lot of price negotiating. :chair:
I found out it was the last '12 model in the surrounding 5 state area, so I feel pretty lucky. :cool:
Time to figure what to mod 1st. I have about 10 weeks before my riding season starts again...

Here are pics of it today, on the dealer floor, and on my trailer.
Sure wish I could ride it!:itsok:

Attachments

#47 ·
Great find! that would sure suck having to wait 2.5 months to ride a bike you just bought lol. :laugh: some good starter mods are:

frame and covers protection (great kit from TJ @ RD)
arrow slip on (take out DB killer)
watsens flush mount turn signals (they take about 2.5 months to get in so order today!)

#49 ·
Thanks again guys. And thanks for the heads up on the Watsen delivery time. I was just on their site the other day. :thumbup:

#50 ·
I have several litre bikes and hyper bikes and find that the triple motors can easily hold there own in the back roads. It's on the longer straights that the larger displacement bikes really have the advantage to stretch there legs. Generally the smaller bikes are quicker in back roads where I ride. The litre bikes with there taller gearing are usually out of there power band. You can flame me all you want as I know it's a hell of lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast then fast bike slow. This is my first Daytona I will be getting this month a 2013 R and never even rode one prior till. I own a speed triple R and a street triple R and always lead the pack when riding back roads. I can only assume that with superior aero dynamics hp and tq along with increased handling confidence it will only be better. I find it boring on litre bikes on back roads as the bikes never feel like they are working no matter how hard you push them. If you are on the highway thats another story. I also own a S1000RR and feel that thing is better left to the track. It's suspension is punishing and there is no power below 7k. At around 10k you better be ready for the pogo stick as the needle will smash the limiter faster then you could blink. That bike requires more focus and kinda takes the fun out of tight curvy roads. I find the motor way to peaky and enjoy my street fighter 1098's torque much better and useable in back roads. Every bike motor has its good points along with it's bad and find the triple motors to be a happy median.:biggrinjester:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.