Triumph 675 Forums banner

Newbie with coolant bleeding issues

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Juncura11 
#1 ·
First of all just wanted to say hi to all.
Please can anyone help me. I have a Street Triple 675R on a 12 plate that I'm trying to bleed the cooling system. I got just about all the old coolant out (approx 2.3 litres) the expansion bottle was on minimum when I started. When I refilled to flush out I only managed to get about 2.1 litres back in. I bled the radiator on the opposite side to the cap and also the top hose bleed screw just to the right of the radiator cap. I ran it up to temp and let it cool for a while. Dropped all the coolant again and repeated only to find that I can only get about 1.8 litres into it. I tried running and topping up as I go, squeezing the pipes etc. But still I can't get as much coolant in as I take out. Am I missing another bleed screw somewhere? I am measuring the coolant each time to compare so I know I must have air in there somewhere. Is there a sequence I need to follow? Please help. Thanks
I also forgot to add this is a very low mileage bike so the engine is very clean.

#3 ·
Grab the upper left hose and pull it down and squeeze it several times. Add coolant. Do it again. tip bike to right. Add coolant. After doing that put the cap on and add coolant to the overflow until its below the cold/minimum line. Don't fill it. Now run the bike until the fan comes on and then shut it off. As it cools it may pull in more coolant from the overflow. If it uses it all then repeat this procedure. Once it's done pulling in extra coolant if the bike is still hot fill to the upper line on the overflow. If the bike is cold then only fill to the lower line on the overflow. Now run it and make sure the fan comes on and goes off again. If the fan continues to run and the temp continues to climb then there is still air. If the fan brings the temp back down and goes off you got all the air out.

#5 ·
This^. I prepped my 09 for track with fresh Ice a few weeks ago. I really wanted to get .63 gallons in there and nearly did. It took a lot of tilting left and right, starting running to temp, burping the the hoses and repeating to get the .61 I got in there. I'm with you, I measure everything, but don't get bent if it doesn't all fit. Better too little than too much. I used the below directions I found here from BenieBlanco

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3820&d=1220284804

#4 ·
Follow MacBandit's advice, he's very knowledgeable.

On a side note don't worry too much about what amount of fluid you get out or put in. When you drain any fluids you never get everything out, there's always some fluid in hard to drain areas. As long as you top up to the relevant mark then all is well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.