Triumph 675 Forums banner

AustinRacing vs racefit !!!

18K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  Cvzg77r 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Rather a restrained reply TWW! You feeling OK?

I would have to agree, get the one YOU want, we don't know what your tastes are.

Be warned though, both of them will be VERY loud. And if you live in Surrey, England and do track days, I doubt you'll get past noise testing with either.

#7 ·
I just added the AR GP2R along with the left side metal panel, stock stainless plate is connected to the stock exhaust. Workmanship, welds and over all quality of the exhaust and the sound is simply perfect. I ordered directly from Rich (the manufacturer of the exhaust) in the UK and have no complaints shipping perfect, install instructions were good, you will need a dermal to remove stock exhaust tab on the stock lower metal heat shield. Oh don't forget some sort of survo buddy, you'll need this to prevent a check engin light for the exhaust valve being out of wack. (You remove the stock exhaust, motor for the exhaust flap overall you'll save weight as we'll. stock exhaust is roughly 20lbs AR exhaust in the box was 6.2lbs.

Anyhow good luck and as others have said pick what makes you happy.

#8 ·
I like the austin racing one more. You should get that one. You are welcome.

Why? it looks better and Its more expensive, so that means its better...right?

#13 ·
Would like to see some pics and hear some feedback if you decide to keep the Racefit.

I have the AR GP2/R in titanium and love it. Only gripe is that it has a hot spot (purple part before the can):

I've seen the same on another '13 D675R at the track and also an Austin Racing (same style) on the latest gen ZX-10R. Only the ZX-10R looked like it was in the early stage and wasn't as noticeable as on the D675.

#14 ·
I have the AR GP2/R in titanium and love it. Only gripe is that it has a hot spot (purple part before can)

Easbasav - I have the exact same exhaust on my 2013 675 (non R), I only have about 150 miles on the exhaust (455 miles on bike total) and my exhaust isn't showing any purple hot spots. Maybe you should contact AR and ask questions as to what May have caused the pipe to turn purple? Rich at AR seems pretty customer friendly.

By the way I have the stock ecu map, I plan on getting the arrow slip on map when I get the first service performed. Do you have any additional map programed?

Thx Mario

#15 ·
I have the exact same exhaust on my 2013 675 (non R), I only have about 150 miles on the exhaust (455 miles on bike total) and my exhaust isn't showing any purple hot spots. Maybe you should contact AR and ask questions as to what May have caused the pipe to turn purple? Rich at AR seems pretty customer friendly.

By the way I have the stock ecu map, I plan on getting the arrow slip on map when I get the first service performed. Do you have any additional map programed?

Thx Mario
It started to discolor (light purple/brown) around 200+ miles IIRC and eventually got to what it is today which is around 1100 miles with the exhaust. Also one trackday in the mix.

Give yours some more seat time and I'm almost positive it will discolor.

It discolors where the removable insert (I'm using the smaller inner diameter/quieter insert) sits in the pipe. The heat restricts right there because the plate on the insert creates a wall rather than allowing the exhaust to exit smoothly. It probably does it right there because that is where the plate on the insert touches the pipe.

At least, that's my theory on why it's happening.

I'll probably contact AR and show them a pic, but see it kind of pointless even if they replace it because I think it would be bound to happen again.

I'm currently not running any map. I've got the SKUTR ServoBuddy to eliminate the CEL and just waiting for some time install my Bazzaz. Once I get the Bazzaz in, I'm gonna get a custom map.

#18 ·
Mine is turning blue aswell, the AR pipes are made of titanium and it turning blue is normal when it heats up, just make you have a proper map loaded so it isn't running too lean.

This is the akra exhuast from RD's 2013 racebike after it's been ridden hard:

#19 ·
(Sorry about the hijacking of this thread OP) but I think it's important that you have all the latest info on what the users of the exhaust are experiencing.)

It's my understanding that AR uses Inconel for their exhaust Not Ti.

Here's what AR has on their website:

ABOUT US

AUSTINRACING

OUR INCONEL SYSTEMS: YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED>

Inconel is superior to Titanium and Stainless for exhaust manufacturing due to the following:

Unlike Titanium it will not burn through, it can be as thin as 0.37mm wall due to it's unrivaled strength. It disperses hot gasses far quicker as it retains heat 6 times more efficiently than Titanium, this helps get rid of the gasses quickly, (you often see Ti & stainless systems with wraps around them, this is to keep them as hot as possible so they get rid of the gasses quickly). By holding high temperatures this keeps the ambient temperature low, it also cools down very quickly. In a like for like full system test of the Evo Titanium full Akrapovic against our full AR22 Inconel system on the same bike on the same dyno with pcV our system gave 5BHP more power. We also use a 0.5mm wall thickness for even further weight reduction.

#26 ·
The dB killer is sold separately, unless you bought that also. The insert looks like a roll of steel wool. If you look down the canister, you'll see one insert. That should have a larger inner diameter (louder insert) and the package should've came with a smaller inner diameter (quieter insert).

Have you tried run without all the insert? Any difference? Thanks
No. I can't imagine how ridiculously loud that would be.

#27 ·
Easbaysav

You were spot on about the AR GP2r exhaust turning brown at aprox 200 miles where your's turned blue.

I took the can off, pulled the insert out and discovered the problem.

If you look down the pipe once you remove the insert you'll notice a second similar looking "insert" down the pipe which you'll notice is stuffed in at an angle. Take a look at the bottom of the insert that you pulled out and you'll notice that it's a flat no angle so it leaves a wedge shape of pipe exposed between the removable insert and the one further down that you cannot remove. So the pipe that's turning blue is exposed to the hot exhaust without any protection from the hot exhaust thus causing the blue "hot spot". In a nut shell by the current design were stuck with the blue ring.

I left the insert out, loud as a jet car, but hopefully the blue ring will go up the pipe into the can at least it will look a bit more like it's supposed to be there. It pretty much sucks considering what these exhaust cost.

Anyhow just thought I would update you on what I came up with.

#28 ·
Easbaysav

You were spot on about the AR GP2r exhaust turning brown at aprox 200 miles where your's turned blue.

I took the can off, pulled the insert out and discovered the problem.

If you look down the pipe once you remove the insert you'll notice a second similar looking "insert" down the pipe which you'll notice is stuffed in at an angle. Take a look at the bottom of the insert that you pulled out and you'll notice that it's a flat no angle so it leaves a wedge shape of pipe exposed between the removable insert and the one further down that you cannot remove. So the pipe that's turning blue is exposed to the hot exhaust without any protection from the hot exhaust thus causing the blue "hot spot". In a nut shell by the current design were stuck with the blue ring.

I left the insert out, loud as a jet car, but hopefully the blue ring will go up the pipe into the can at least it will look a bit more like it's supposed to be there. It pretty much sucks considering what these exhaust cost.

Anyhow just thought I would update you on what I came up with.
Cool, thanks for the update. I finally tried contacting Austin Racing but all the email addresses listed on their website said inbox full. WTF is up with that?!? Anyway, I'm going to see if I could get a hold of Triumph Race Support and see if they can get a hold of them.

It shouldn't change color with the insert removed, but I guess you'll find out over time. For me, it's too late because the pipe has already discolored. I'd say maybe get the dB killer from them just so it isn't so loud. I couldn't bear the pipe without no insert.

#38 · (Edited)
Wow I sure missed that I thought it went together at the weld and the larger pipe was some sort of cover. I just removed mine so far the pipe has turned a light shade of brown but no blue I have 644 miles on it now. Was in the shop for about a week for the 500 mile service, CS seal leak and the arrow slip on tune. Bike appears a bit smother with the slip on tune and fresh oil.

If you know a fabricator you may be able to take both pieces in and the can modify the lower insert then repack with the fiberglass material. My brother mentioned that, similar to some Harley's. Yup he rides a HOG. And he's 7 yrs younger.

Thanks for following up. :thumbup:

MB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.