Triumph 675 Forums banner

Handle bar mounted dash

7K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Knolly 
#1 ·
I have never been happy with the look and location of the dash and factory headlights. So I started by designing my own bracket to mount the dash on top of the handle bars. I have posted a screen shot of the CAD model also. The bracket was laser cut from 4mm stainless steel, with stainless steel spacers. Now to mount my new D2 LED lights to replace the factory headlights.:hooray:

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I plan to work on the CAD model this weekend so I can mount the Denali D2's. The big bug eye factory lights will not be put back on the bike. As for the dash being mounted on top of the bars the ergonomics are the same as any other bar mounted dash. The sight plane has been moved down, ie you have to look down a little more than the standard position. The stem whole will, which is also the air in take, be covered with a 3D printed part. All this will save a bit of weight also and reduce the visual mass of the the front.

#13 ·
Curious as to the positioning. Why not have it more on top of the handle bars than behind? Also, could you post a picture or two a bit further away? Maybe it just seems like it 's further behind/more perpendicular to the ground from the angles. Not hating on it at all, just observations and thoughts. Respect for the personal touch, as well.

#14 ·
There was a couple of reasons for the location being back on the bar. There is a plug which attaches underneath the dash, any more forward and you would not be able to plug it in and power up the dash. Second if it was to far forward it would block access to the key hence the placement.

Attachments

#18 ·
Yes I like the street fighter look. The weight savings for me was another plus also. There is nothing bad with the out of the box factory look of the street.

The tank cannot be rotated up with the rear cross bolt still in it. So removing the tank will take more time than usual.

The motorcycle is a project with a few mods still to come. I want it to be my motorcycle, retro, minimalist and one of a kind.

#19 ·
I see - no offense intended. :smile2:

As for the "raising the tank" issue - that's something you should really try to accommodate. My fuel pump fitting recently popped off while on a ride, the tank has to be raised to get to it. A couple years ago, I had to raise the tank (again while out in the middle of nowhere) to work with a shorted-out ignition harness. Unfortunately, this was a trip-killer and the bike needed trailering home. It was close to midnight, but I believe we had to raise the tank to get to the upper-end part of the R/R wiring harness to do an emergency R/R swap (happened to OKStriple back in May).

#20 · (Edited)
I am not offended at all. I like changing things up, my bike is a blank canvas to a large degree and their will be compromises sometimes when I am fiddling with things (no free lunches as they say). The imput and information I receive from fellow forum members I greatly appreciate and value. I have leant so much in the short time being a part of the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.