Triumph 675 Forums banner

question about the 1050 throttle tube mod

17K views 99 replies 45 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
When ordering a 1050 throttle tube for my '12 str, does it matter if its for the regular 1050 or the r? Or are they the same?

#73 ·
Thanks Mac. I was at work before posting. When I got home and looked at things more closely with a flashlight it was easy to remove.

However I'm rather embarassed to admit that my sticking throttle issue was my new grip hanging up on the bar end :laugh:

I put new OEM grips on when I switched to clip ons and the 1050 throttle tube and completely forgot about the end of the grip that wraps around just a little bit. It was dragging just a tiny bit on my bar end weight.

#77 ·
TBF assuming the return spring exerts the same force but on a larger diameter then the twist needed to open the throttle is greater after the mod. Whether you can feel it is another question - doesn't feel different to me after 2hrs riding but that's the longest I've ridden so far this year.

#83 ·
I did the 1050 mod also, gotta say that I like the quicker action and better response.

But I haven't felt any extra force needed. But my question is when I go from low rpm's and jump on the gas kinda hard the bike bogs a little. I figured it was because of the quick fuel increase but now Im not so sure. Anyone else with this issue as well?

#86 ·
MadMel, I think you have it backwards...Tie a small weight at the one end of the line and then tie it to a stick on the other. Now try rolling it to wind it up. Now try a larger diameter stick and see for yourself.

Given same amount of work, a smaller cam will have a less of a lever arm requiring more rotation but less force to accomplish the same work as a larger cam with less rotation which requires more force.

#96 ·
is there a bigger throttle tube that requires minimal fuxin with that fits? i'd like even less play than the 1050 i already have.

im not trying to spend massive dollars on a quick turn kit

#99 ·
I decided to retry this mod. I'd had it on once before and didn't like the twitchiness.

I've been working on throttle smoothness and there is no longer a problem with how the bike behaves. Make sure to grease the throttle tube for buttery smooth action.

And by the way, blip downshifts while braking are vastly improved with this mod since you get a bigger engine RPM change for the same wrist action. :thumbup:

#100 ·
Don't grease under the throttle tube. It will collect dirt and bind the throttle. This would never happen if left just dry. If you find the throttle not moving free then it's possible the return cable is too tight. Alternatively if you just absolutely have to lube it use a dry graphite lube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.