Triumph 675 Forums banner

question about the 1050 throttle tube mod

17K views 99 replies 45 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
When ordering a 1050 throttle tube for my '12 str, does it matter if its for the regular 1050 or the r? Or are they the same?

#36 ·
I did the switch and it took all of maybe 5 minutes to complete. The first (and only time so far as it is damn cold) time I got out on the bike, I noticed a big different with how little you have to twist the wrist to have the bike start moving. I'll need a few rides to get use to it, but I think it was a good switch.

#39 ·
I got the throttle tamer a couple of days ago....but its to freaking cold to go put it on the bike. I did get the grip changed over though...should have taken a pic of it first, but latter on I will take one that shows the difference in the cam profile and post it here. Just wish I could report on how well it WORKS, but according to the weather man, that will be at least a couple more weeks.

#41 ·
Just did this today, wasnt hard at all.

1.) Unscrew 2 x screws under the throttle cable cap area

2.) Unhook the two cables from the throttle:

3.) Tighten the adjuster all the way so its going to the left (this gives you more cable to attach)

4.) Connect throttle cables to new tube.

5.) Screw everything back together and adjust cable

Attachments

#42 ·
This mod is well worth doing. It makes the throttle so responsive. When I sold my D675 I took the 1050 tube off so I could fit it to my new Street Triple.

Riding the D675 with the stock tube on again felt horrible having been used to the 1050 tube.

Needless to say as soon as I got the Streety home the 1050 tube was fitted about 30 seconds after switching off the engine!! Lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#45 ·
FYI: Rizoma grips come with three cams; the middle-sized cam is the largest that fits in our housing and I imagine is similar effect to the Speed 3 cam. The smallest cam (the one your "supposed" to use) is just a hair larger than the stock cam. I like the large cam so much better.

#46 ·
Ugh. I started doing this but there wasn't enough free play in the throttle cable to get it to work smoothly! Triumph had the adjuster nut all the way in already. :(

I started going down the route of adjusting the throttle cable itself, but that required a good bit more work than I was willing to do this evening (removal of the ECU, fuel rail, air box, just to get to the adjuster).

#47 ·
I started going down the route of adjusting the throttle cable itself, but that required a good bit more work than I was willing to do this evening (removal of the ECU, fuel rail, air box, just to get to the adjuster).
On a Street Triple ????

Once the tank is off it only take 10 minutes to get to the throttle bodies...

The ECU stays with the top of the airbox, just remove the lid screws and flop it all over the left side of the frame.

The fuel rail is not touched.....

The airbox is only held in with 7 screws and two hoses ....

#50 ·
Totally - though the '13 Daytona and Street Triple have the same instructions in the Triumph service manual. So should be applicable either way. I think the main thing is that I was tired and hungry and it was dark out. I'll try again when I have time.

#51 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, for the encouragement

Especially Tronix and Ken C for their illustrated step by step photos.

I was a bit wary about this mod, as the stock throttle was a bit jumpy.

I installed the 1050 tube yesterday, and just came back from a test ride. The part number is:T2040331. Interestingly it is made in Italy.

It was a snap to install, once I got past the fact the one of the screws on my
bike had been buggered, and I was very careful in removing it.

The reports of doing it in five or ten minutes are all true.

As far as riding goes, I feel it is a big improvement in two ways:

1. The bike just feels faster, and the sense of throttle control in acceleration and deacceleration seems better to me.

2. Shifting is smoother, both up shifting and down shifting, due to more positive throttle control.

As everyone has said - " the best ten dollar modification one can make".

While I was at it, I replaced both of the screws that hold the throttle on the handlebar with stainless allen head 5x20mm screws.

That being said, I am not sure that I will recommend it to a friend of mine who is a novice, and just got his Streety, until he has gotten a few more miles under his belt: he doesn't need to go any faster.

#59 ·
Especially Tronix and Ken C for their illustrated step by step photos.

I was a bit wary about this mod, as the stock throttle was a bit jumpy.

I installed the 1050 tube yesterday, and just came back from a test ride. The part number is:T2040331. Interestingly it is made in Italy.

It was a snap to install, once I got past the fact the one of the screws on my
bike had been buggered, and I was very careful in removing it.

The reports of doing it in five or ten minutes are all true.

As far as riding goes, I feel it is a big improvement in two ways:

1. The bike just feels faster, and the sense of throttle control in acceleration and deacceleration seems better to me.

2. Shifting is smoother, both up shifting and down shifting, due to more positive throttle control.

As everyone has said - " the best ten dollar modification one can make".

While I was at it, I replaced both of the screws that hold the throttle on the handlebar with stainless allen head 5x20mm screws.

That being said, I am not sure that I will recommend it to a friend of mine who is a novice, and just got his Streety, until he has gotten a few more miles under his belt: he doesn't need to go any faster.
glad to help

#56 ·
This has probably been covered before but the Street 675 throttle measured out at 32.04mm diameter and the Speed 1050 throttle measured out at 36.46mm diameter. My measurement of the throttle turn (1" turn out of 4" circumference) put the stock throttle at 90 degrees to WOT. Based on both turn measurements and comparison of the diameters, I think this puts the Speed 1050 throttle at 70 degrees to WOT. Or thereabouts. On my last couple bikes, I've installed the Yam R6 throttle which, I think, is 60 degrees. 60 would be nice but 70 will have to do for now...

Attachments

#69 ·
Has anyone needed to adjust their throttle cables under the air box? After my clip on and 1050 installation I'm not getting a quick snap back for throttle closure. I'm digging around for the throttle cable adjustment and find it's under the air box which is rivited in place for some god forsaken reason.

#70 ·
Very few have found not enough adjustment range at the top adjuster (or didn't know about the top adjuster) and had to go under the airbox (which is not riveted in place) although I would suspect that not having a snappy throttle return has to do with your cable routing when you installed the clip ons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.