Triumph 675 Forums banner

Race Bike Build X 2 (2008 & 2009 Daytona 675)

25K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  -LG- 
#1 · (Edited)
So here it is. I bought this 2008 D675 approx. 8 Months ago which was already partially setup as a track bike. The bike was bone stock except for a Remus slip on and Race Glass.

Mods started after her first outing on track. This was prompted by very poor OEM suspension that made my day on track challenging. I ran off track twice and experienced a few decent tank slappers.

Anyway, 8 Months later and this is her now. Plenty more photos to come after the mod list.

Suspension:
- OEM Forks re-valved with Racetech Gold valves and Wilbers 10.5 Fork Springs.
- OEM Rear Shock also re-valved with Racetech Gold valves and fitted with an Ohlins 13.5kg spring

Deleted OEM Gear:
- Removed Intake Flapper
- Removed SAI (Rerouted crank case breather to Reed Valves)
- Removed O2 Sensor
- Removed EXUP Valve
- Removed Idle Stepper Motor
- Removed OEM Rad Overflow Bottle
- Removed ignition (replaced with missile switch)
- Removed Heat Exchanger
- Removed left switch block

Intake and ECU:
- BMC Filter
- 09 D675 Velocity Stacks
- Balanced TB's with TuneECU
- Uploaded Arrow Full System Map
- Installed Manual Idle Control

Engine:
Stock

Exhaust:
Custom built low mount system using OEM Headers. System uses a cone engineering merge collector to 2" pipe leading to a SP Engineering muffler.

Brakes:
- Yamaha R6 front calipers
- R6 Braided lines
- Brembo RCS19 Radial Master Cylinder
- OEM Rotors
- SBS Sintered Pads
- OEM Rear brake

Other Mods:
- Renthal Sprockets
- DID 520 ERV3 Chain
- Lightech Chain Adjusters
- Axle Armour sliders on the rear and home made sliders up front
- GB Racing case protectors and frame sliders
- Alien Motion Li Battery
- Motion Pro Rad overflow bottle
- Attack Rearsets
- HM Plus Quickshifter
- Cox Radiator Guard
- Renthal grips
- Samco Sport hoses
- JHS Oil Cooler
- Monkey Bones front brake guard
- HM GPS Dash
- Hyperpro top mount steering damper
- Motoholders Fairing Stay
- SES Lock Stop Protector
- NJCustoms Tank Sliders (still in the post)

The bike hasn't been on track since all of these bulk mods have been done but am looking forward to it. I am new to racing and will be racing this bike next season. Am making the transition from track days to racing.

I would like to thank everyone on this forum. During the build this forum has been my number one resource for information, all of which has made this build easy and enjoyable.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
LG

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks 2B Will try and get a few track days in before I get into racing. Also need to put in some weight reduction time on the treadmill in preparation.

Looks great and I bet it weighs nothing. Some good reliability improvements, too. No plans for a manual CCT?
Cheers MGFChapin. That was the plan, to be reliable and quick. I actually have an APE manual CCT in the spares box but am yet to fit it. I was talked into buying it by one of my mates. Also a forum member here.

I love it. Your setup looks great. Nice list of useful mods. I'm particularly interested in your header/can setup and relocation. Where does that can attach to the bike to keep it from bouncing around? I've been looking at headers for my 2011, you're solution is not only handsome, but I bet it saves weight even against full Ti systems that route under the tail. Would you mind PMing some specs to me?

thanks.
Thanks IronCactus. The can is attached to the fixing point for the old EXUP valve. I had to remove the original exhaust mount from the frame to get the muffler to sit nice and tight behind the rearsets.

I made up a couple of videos on the exhaust build process. Here they are. All the info you need should be in there. If you need any more detail shoot me a PM.

#4 ·
Exhaust:
Custom built low mount system using OEM Headers. System uses a cone engineering merge collector to 2" pipe leading to a SP Engineering muffler.
LG
I love it. Your setup looks great. Nice list of useful mods. I'm particularly interested in your header/can setup and relocation. Where does that can attach to the bike to keep it from bouncing around? I've been looking at headers for my 2011, you're solution is not only handsome, but I bet it saves weight even against full Ti systems that route under the tail. Would you mind PMing some specs to me?

thanks.

#6 ·
Thanks LG. Great video for how to on that custom pipe/relocate. Looks like a lot of work and thought went into it. Nicely done. Please let us know how that mount location works out at lean with load in the swing arm. Hopefully without a hitch. I'm not as handy as you are, so I'll need to find a good fabricator if I'm going to pull this off. Thank you for videos the new exhaust sounds and looks incredible.

#10 · (Edited)
Thought I'd mention that I also have another build on the go at the moment, haven't got any glamour shots of her at the moment as it is stripped back up on stands at the moment with suspension out but here's some history on her and some pics.

This one is a 2009 Daytona 675.

I picked this bike up with a red tank and grey primed fairings with a little bit of rash on the tank etc from a lowside at the Broadford Road Race circuit. The bike has an interesting story though.

It looks fairly stock in appearance at first glance but has a fair amount of engine work done by a well known builder in Australia that built all of the AARK racing bikes quite a few years back for the Australian Motul Supersport Series. The engine is built to the same specs as the AARK bikes and is putting down a decent wack of power compared to a stock rig. The bike was built for the General Manager of a local dealership as the bike was to be a display bike for the store. After it had finished it's display duties it did a very small stint on the road then only a handful of track days. The bike was parked up in 2011 - 2012 after its small lowside and wasn't ridden until I purchased it. Bike still had its 2009 rubber on it and ridiculously low mileage.

Here she is when I got her home.

Current Mods:
- Fully Blueprinted Engine
- Ported/Polished Head
- Race Kit Head gasket
- Race Kit Velocity Stacks
- BMC Filter
- Custom Ground Cams, Race Kit valves, springs etc
- Race Kit Gear Detent
- Modded Oil Pump
- Arrow Stage 3 Full Race System
- STM Race Slipper Clutch
- PCIII With custom tune
- 520 Chain Conversion
- Manual Idle Adjuster

How She is looking now.

I currently have the forks and rear shock out as they are being setup for me as they were previously untouched OEM. Also have the tank and fairings being painted. I am having the forks fitted with Wilbers Springs and Racetech Gold valves and rear shock is getting an Ohlins Spring and also Racetech Gold valves.

Rear shock is back now. Just waiting for my forks to come back before I put her back together.

Other parts that I have in to fit up to her are:
- SES Lock stop protector
- Brembo RCS19 Master Cyliner
- Brembo Rotors
- Brembo pads
- Yamaha R6 Calipers
- Fren Tubo braided lines
- Captive Spacers
- Race Rad Overflow bottle

Mods I've done so far:
- Removed the ISM
- Removed SAI Valve and routed crankcase breather into reed valves
- Removed intake flapper
- Removed ignition (keyless)

My plan for this bike is to be as close as it can be in specs to my 2008 D675 with the exception of the engine work on this one.

Ultimately the plan is that when I finally pull my finger out, get myself into shape for next season to start racing, this 09 D675 will be the dry bike and my 08 D675 will be the wet bike.

Here's some more pics of some parts that are rolling in and the bike.

Thanks for reading guys. I'll update this thread as she goes back together. I'm still yet to have this bike on the track. Have only had a couple of sneaky ride around my local area but cant wait to unleash her.

Cheers,
LG

#11 ·
Got around to doing a bit more work on the 09 Bike.

Fitted the rear shock which is now re-sprung and revalved. I have dialled it in to the same pre-load, comp and rebound setting as my 08 675. Changed the gearing to better suit my local track 15-47 and fitted captive spacers to the rear wheel. I am told my forks are a few days away. Cant wait to get it all back together.

#15 · (Edited)
A mystery pallet of spares arrived today.

- Spare 675 engine (stock with 14,000k)
- 08 675 Harness
- 08 675 Fuel Pump
- 08 Riders Seat
- Assorted nuts and bolts

Was a bargain I couldn't refuse and the seller was happy to throw in some extras with the engine.

Forks for the 09 675 are also done and will post updates as I start putting her back together.

#17 ·
Some more work on the 09 D675 "Chase" today.

- Fitted freshly rebuilt forks
- Refitted front wheel with fresh Brembo rotors and captive spacers
- Fitted R6 Calipers
- Fitted Lightech Chain Adjusters

Just waiting on some new clip ons to arrive tomorrow so I can fit the Brembo RCS19 Master Cylinder and R6 Braided lines.

Also am sick of referring to my daytona's as the 08 bike and the 09 bike So have named the 08 after my Daughter "Belle" and the 09 after my Son "Chase".

Here's some progress pics.

#18 ·
A bit more work done on "Chase" tonight

- Fitted RCS19 Master Cylinder and Brembo 45ml Reservoir with Tygon hose
- Fitted FrenTubo Stainless Braided lines
- Fitted Motionlogics Brake Lever Guard
- Charged the system up with Motul RBF600 and bled

#20 ·
Quick Job today.

Ordered in some new caliper bolts (Stainless Race Spec) for "Belle" and some new stainless axle pinch bolts for "Chase"

Had to be done as the old caliper bolts are looking real sad and are quite rounded off and I lost one of the axle pinch bolts for the other bike.

Bolts were sourced from ProBolt Australia.

#21 ·
Im super curious about the brakes upgrade you've done to both your bikes. Looks super legit!
What is the performance of the R6 calipers versus the Triumph ones?

What year R6 caliper are you using and what is the spacer size? Did you also need to do spacers to the brake rotors as well? Thanks a lot for the info!

#23 ·
Quick update:

Some more gear has arrived for "Chase"
- Motion Pro Quick Action Throttle
- Renthal Kevlar grips
- Alien Motion Lithium Ion Battery (This thing is like a feather)
Weighing in at just under 800grams or just under 1.76lbs for the US folk here.

Fairings and tank are approximately 1 week from being completed. Not long now before the bike is back together and track ready.

#26 ·
Another update with pics ofcourse. Nearly completed.

All my fairings and tank are freshly painted in jet black 2pac. Got most of the bike back together today and started it for the first time in a long time. Was difficult to start, ran rough until all of the stale fuel was gone, Had the tank propped up with the airbox off so I could balance the throttle bodies using TuneECU after I had them off the bike to fit the new quick action throttle. Bike is running well but didn't want to start the second time around after that (fouled plugs). Have now ordered new plugs.

- Fitted Alien Motion Battery
- Removed Throttle Bodies and Fitted Motion Pro Quick Action throttle (So smooth)
- Fitted Renthal Kevlar grips
- Fitted fuel pump back into freshly painted tank
- Fitted Oberon billet Fuel cap
- Changed Oil
- Fitted HiFlo Filtro oil filter
- Fitted magnetic sump plug
- Flushed cooling system and topped up with redline water wetter/water

Here's some more progress pics.

Next job on the agenda is to change out the spark plugs and fit the race glass

#27 ·
Some nice modding for sure!

Really like the paint scheme on the first bike, Looks just like mine before some added stickers! :smile2:

#30 ·
I can change the kill time and sensitivity easily at the track. Also I can select the direction of shift that it kills spark(push or pull or both). Also the HM uses a strain guage, no moving parts so doesnt wear out. It is better than the OEM unit in every aspect. With the OEM you need to access the ECU with TuneECU to alter the kill times (pain in the.....).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.