Triumph 675 Forums banner

question about the 1050 throttle tube mod

17K views 99 replies 45 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
When ordering a 1050 throttle tube for my '12 str, does it matter if its for the regular 1050 or the r? Or are they the same?

#8 ·
Ugh. In that case, why even have a sport bike? A ST3 isn't a necessity for any of us. Nor is it the most practical bike in the world.

I notice a difference when going WOT. It's not a major difference, but I like it. That's the point. Also, it's nice not having to have my wrist cranked so far back when I do go WOT.

#12 ·
I guess the hooligan in me outweighs the need for a bit more comfort. I do keep my wrist in line when at the normal throttle postion, btw. It's when I go from normal position to WOT (which is more often than I should) that having a shorter throw is nice.

I see your point about being smoother with the stock throttle tube, but if I want a super smooth ride, I'll take my other bike out. :laugh: Actually, even with the 1050 tube, I don't notice much if any difference in smoothness in normal riding, provided the road isn't incredibly rough or bumpy. And if it is, I just ease off of the throttle, which you'd have to do anyway.

#13 ·
Understood. I like wheelies and I'm not saying I don't ever go over a ton on the street just not nearly as much as I use to and never in populated areas.

I should say more then anything I'm trying to give a counterpoint to the 1050 throttle because I feel there are probably a lot of people that would be better off without it but are being lured in by the amount of threads and comments for it around here by a bunch of throttle happy people. I can't say I'm not one of them but I've turned most of my throttle rage to the track.

#16 ·
I am very happy with my 1050 throttle-I'm not a racer or even a very quick road rider. I found it made ordinary riding even easier and helped me with my adaptation to the Striple which some people find has a snatchy throttle action compared with some other bikes. The action now feels natural and relaxed.
It is so cheap and easy to do that it is something I'd heartily recommend since if it doesn't suit you can revert and re-sell the new tube without a second thought.

#23 · (Edited)
The cable ramp on the 1050 tube is larger in diameter and absolutely shortens the throw to WOT from the stock (any year) Street Triple unit.

Triumph have a habit of fitting different parts to the same bikes (look at the swingarms - some later bikes still got the short one, well after the long one had been introduced, and both swingarms have the same part number), so maybe later ones got the 1050 tube, with no change in part numbers on the fiches. I've not compared the cam on my throttle to a 1050 tube, but I know it's the throttle that it left the factory with, and has exactly the same travel as a 1050 Speed Triple (and the same as my Bandit with quick action throttle cam on) - 1/5 turn from closed to fully open. Whatever they've done, the later bikes (or at least mine) certainly have less throttle travel than the earlier ones, with none of the excessive travel problems that owners of the earlier bikes complain of. Given the fact that it's already a 1/5 turn throttle, and the snatchy nature of the Striple's throttle when getting back on the power from a closed/trailing throttle, I wouldn't want to reduce it any more.

#53 ·
As we know some parts can carry over to a newer year. I just measured my '13 D675R with an OEM tube as sent from the factory. It has exactly 78 degrees of rotation. This sure sounds like a 1050 tube comes stock at least on my bike. Be sure to measure before hassling with this mod. you just maybe putting the same tube back in.

#24 · (Edited)
Forgive me if I call foul but even the 1050 throttle tube is between 1/4 and 1/2 turn when on the Street Triple let alone 1/5 ....

Easy to clear up though, the two have very different profiles at the cable mount and can be told apart visually so why don't you slip the throttle tube off and post a picture of the cable mount end, head on please :thumbup:

EDIT: Correction to my previous statement, just checked and with zero cable slack my throttle throw with the 1050 tube is right at 90* or 1/4 turn from resting position to WOT.

#25 · (Edited)
Forgive me if I call foul but even the 1050 throttle tube is between 1/4 and 1/2 turn when on the Street Triple let alone 1/5 ....

Easy to clear up though, the two have very different profiles at the cable mount and can be told apart visually so why don't you slip the throttle tube off and post a picture of the cable mount end, head on please :thumbup:

Maybe in spring - garages are a lot colder in winter here than they are in Florida, lol. I don't know without taking it off whether mine got a 1050 tube at the factory, but I can categorically say that it is less than 1/4 turn from closed to fully open (and I've just been out to the garage to double check that - it's easy enough to check, just use one of the lines of dots or moulding seams on the grip as a datum). When it's warmer i'll measure the exact angle. I'd guess it's around 85 degrees (admittedly that's more than 1/5 turn, but it's definitely less than 1/4). In 20 years of riding bikes I've never ridden anything that has anything even close to a 1/2 turn throttle, you'd need very odd wrists for that, lol.

Lol, you edited that after my post. Still too cold to be taking anything off and photographing currently though - have you ever been to Yorkshire in mid winter? I've not been to Florida, but I've seen it on telly, and it looks a fair bit warmer there, lol. :laugh:

#28 ·
Here's a thought...I have the 1050 tube but still have a slight (to me) feeling of it being twitchy at low speeds and on bumpy back roads . Not as much as with the stock tube, but still there non the less. If I were to get the throttle tamer by G2 for the SPEED Triple...I wonder if it would still be shorter to WOT? At least shorter compared to stock? They claim "The radius increases or “ramps up” after ½ throttle to keep overall rotation requires to reach full throttle at or near stock rotation." Flame suit on and checked...but after my off last summer I'm looking for ANYTHING that will up the joy and decrease the "I'm not liking this anymore" feeling.

Thanks guys.

#33 ·
Wont be able to get it until mid-March if I do...going on a cruise at the end of this month and saving the funds for that....can't ride on the islands but when it this crappy here, sitting on a beach in St.Johns with a rum drink in my hand.....well it can't be beat. I'll give it a shot and let you guys know, but it will be a while. If anybody here has done this or any other thoughts please let me know.

#34 ·
I did this mod to my '12 Daytona 675R. You have to back off inline throttle cable adjuster, near throttle. The 1050 throttle tube makes the rotation from closed throttle to wide open, much better. It's a 10 minute max install, so switching back is a snap. It does make the throttle a bit more sensitive, but you get used to it quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.