Triumph 675 Forums banner

Ignition issue

2K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  Tyler Strop 
#1 ·
Hey guys first post so bare with me ! Picked up a 08 675 with apparent ECU and wiring issues . Bought a new harness and ECU . Everything has been swapped over and everything but ONE connection is made as I'm not sure where it goes . The connection runs down to the belly pan , one goes to the "pass footpeg" and the component makes noise like a valve opening and closing . The other connector is just hanging there as I can not seem to find anywhere it hooks to ? So know I turn the ignition on , everything comes on check engine light , oil light but when I pull the clutch and hit the ignition the ignition r relay clicks only . Checked the fuse , took the volt meter and it's getting 12v , won't time over at all .....just keeps clicking every time the ignition is hit . Any help ?

#3 ·
Here is the connector at the bottom I mentioned . When clutch is pulled and ignition is hit this relay clicks (the center one of the 3 ) I have 2 of these because of the old harness I replaced as well so I put the other relay in and does the exact samething

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Ok where does the purge valve plug into because I don't see where it goes . The other wire ran with it plugs in under the passenger side peg into the solenoid or valve ? It keeps making noise like it's opening a valve . Ok now lol ....the solenoid up front next to the blue one has 3 Pink Brown 1 Black 1 Yellow Silver . VIN
SMTD00NSX8J343093

#10 ·
Ok so the purge valve was removed from this bike thus the reason the come for is just hanging there . So that's solved. The clicking is coming both from the BLUE relay up front that you stated was the ignition and also the starter solenoid . The starter aolenoid will click constantly if it's grounded and as long as the ignition is being pressed it will click . Doesn't even seem to want to turn over . I did notice the wires from the stator were a little frayed at the connector but not broke through or anything . I'm at a loss as to why both are doing this and the bike won't even try and turn over

#12 ·
So after searching literally all day reading in the forum ....im going to pull the starter and see if it's seized up . There are 2 posts in the forum that were explaining the exact same thing as what's going on here . Idk how to tell if the R/R has been done either . It is mounted right under the battery tray with a metal bracket over it as well .

So i think I will check that starter in the morning and then go from there .

#13 · (Edited)
So i jumped the starter and it spins and tried to start the bike . Now the ground coming off the top of the starter goes to my starter solenoid and the battery is grounded . Getting 12v to the solenoid even when ignition is pressed , still both the starter solenoid and the front one just click still

#14 ·
So if both the starter solenoid and starter relay up front both click , that means the low voltage side is working , however if the start solenoid isn't push the "big" volt side (to the starter) does that mean the wire from the starter to the solenoid is bad ? Again the starter DID SPIN when I tested it .

#15 ·
Take the wire off and test for conductivity. The starter spins when jumped, so that's good. Is there corrosion at the connector? From the pic you posted it doesn't look too bad. Seems the problem is at the solenoid, here's a link for testing it:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55933

Partial wiring for the starting circuit
42 - starter motor
43 - starter solenoid
45 - starter relay (blue)
46 - regulator/rectifier
47 - alternator

#17 ·
Holding the POS side of my multi meter on the starter solenoid in back on the black wire going to the starter....when ignition is hit there is a 12v jump for a moment then there is no V measured on the black to the starter . Still 12v on the positive side of the solenoid but as soon as I put it on the starter black wire and press the ignition the 12v jump then are gone , and of course still the click noise and the bike resets

#18 ·
So ....come out this morning after letting the bike sit on the charger since about 2 yesterday afternoon . Check the voltage at the battery reads 12.9v ....hit the ignition switch and it's cranks !! Haven't a clue how but it's cranking . Put the top end back on (air box and fuel tank) and it cranks but will not fire . Didn't do anything different than before other than left it on the charger literally like 20 hrs straight. This is a brand new battery as said before. Possibly the stator ?

#20 ·
Have not tried push starting it. Everything seems to lead like it should run . I have taken out the plugs and am getting spark . Double checked the fuel line to make sure it's not pinched . Everything seems to be correct . I do not know if the R/R was ever replaced or not . It does still face "backwards" with the fins to the engine . I do not know the current state of the stator either . Those were my next steps . The kill switch and clutch work fine checked both and look practically brand new . Also the TIPS is UPPER right . Also havent gotten i to the ECU as i dont have the cable . My brother owns a motorcycle dyno so he will be the one getting into everything on that end .....just need to get her running . Any suggestions I'm all ears guys !! Thanks for all the help

#21 ·
Well......new ECU ,new wiring harness , new stator, new rectifier, new plugs ....same God dam issue . All this bike does is crank . Made sure the TPS sensor was UP , checked voltage all good , checked relays all getting proper volts , only thing I don't know is if the fuel is getting to the fuel rail . Used a small hose and pumped fuel into the rail while cranking , just cranked no start . I'm at a loss at this point

#22 ·
Since I'm not getting any replies I will reply myself ha !! UPDATE ....after going through everything , the FUEL PUMP RELAY located on the left side of the bike has 4 wires going into it . From what I have seen Purple/Black goes to the ECU , the "Brown" is ground ( which I don't have a brown ) and the other 2 are suppose to be constant 12v and the other 12v ONLY when cranking .....HOWEVER ....i have 4 wires in that plug , which all 3 have constant power once the ignition is ON and the 4th that's suppose to be ground ??? Once I ground it the bike starts , and it makes the fuel pump prime right away once power is put to it . Looked at the old harness and the wiring is the exact same. So somwthing isn't grounding to turn the fuel pump ON to prime BUT if power is put to any of the other 3 wires .....fuse blows in the panel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.