Triumph 675 Forums banner

Triumph Daytona 765

9K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  MGFChapin 
#1 ·
Are they going to make a Daytona 765, or not? I'm thinking of buying a new 675R for racing, but if they're going to come out with the 765 Daytona, I will wait for that. Anyone heard any leaks/ have inside tip?

JB

#2 ·
Nothing yet, but remember you'll be severely restricted by classes if you race a 765. Probably only legal in 750 and 1000 classes, in which you'd be at a big power disadvantage. Also, the new motor doesn't make much more HP if any; it's just bigger and less-stressed to pass Euro 4. A Daytona would probably be tuned differently but I'd rather race my 675.

#3 ·
i have only put 250 miles on my new 765 rs (street triple) and its a great bike. However, so far i think i would agree with MGFChapin in that if i was racing, i would prefer the D675 motor. Maybe i just miss my old bike, but that motor is a dream. the new 765 is fun and has personality and torque but to me so far the new 765 motor feels more like a smaller 1050 than a bigger 675 (daytona version) motor. this might change after break in when i can take the rpms higher but so far i wouldn't downplay how good the daytona 675 motor is :)

#5 ·
MGFChapin: Yeah, I knew it'd only be legit in 750 and 1,000cc classes, but I assumed that it would hold up, even as a 765 triple. But you're right: it seems like it would be underpowered. The problem was that got "led on" by this space machine coming out by Spirit Motorcycles:

http://www.spirit-mc.uk/ 180bhp at 749cc. I understand that this engine is a stroked 675, as opposed to the new 765, which I guess is a different engine altogether; but I guess my hopes got up about the possibility of so much power coming from the 749cc that Spirit has, that I assumed that a "new" Daytona would be something closer to that.

But yea, bill_yyy, hopefully we'll get a Daytona based off these 800cc Moto2 spec engines. So let me rephrase my original question: what do you guys think is the likelihood of Triumph coming out with a mid-size (750cc class) Daytona?

#7 ·
If you want a bigger version of the 675R, you will have to go buy a MV Agusta F3 800... That's what I did.

Will post up a ride report and comparison of it compared to my 675R.

#10 ·
I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. There has not been a peep about development or concepts, if it ever does happen it won't be anytime soon.

If you want a bigger version of the 675R, you will have to go buy a MV Agusta F3 800... That's what I did.

Will post up a ride report and comparison of it compared to my 675R.
I have to say I would be curious. It seems if you find a good tuner to really get the mapping spot on, that bike is quite good.

#11 ·
yes i was and still see one in my garage in the future. Just decided for my type of riding, which is mostly around town, the tuono wouldn't be happy whereas the street triple would be in its element. plus the new bike is closer to an upright version of my daytona so went this route.

this fall, however .... , may be looking to add a '17 rr tuono :)

#13 ·
I'd bet we see a larger displacement Daytona in a few years. It would seem silly for Triumph to have all that exposure in M2 and not try to capitalize on that in the sports bike scene. Heck, they could keep the same frame / fairings and not spend any money on redesign and just put the engine in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.