Triumph 675 Forums banner

Would you buy a 2012 675r with 4 track days?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  luciano136 
#1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 675r with 4 track days and 17K miles for $6,500. Overall, the bike looks, sounds, and drives good. Due to time constraints, I don't have enough time to have a shop to look it over. Should I pass on it or it is it generally reliable to buy a used bike with minimal track days?

#2 ·
If someone has their shit together enough to buy gear, a motorcycle, track day costs, and a tow vehicle/trailer they are probably responsible enough to maintain a motor. You would be surprised how well engineered these engines are. I personally would not hesitate to buy a track bike. I Would give it the same level of scrutiny as a non track bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I would much rather buy a bike that has seen a few track days than a bike that was owned by a squid that is always running 100Mph wheelies on the freeway. I'd say if it looks good then go for it. It seems like a good price also, I saw one in Atlanta GA not too long ago for $8000
Wow, very interesting perspectives... To be honest, I never thought of it that way. The bike is about 300 miles away from me, but I did stop by while I was out of town to look at in in person. The guy did not seem like a squid out all but rather a young professional engineer type. He is also throwing in spare track fairings (OE), original OE fairings in mint condition, new track oriented brake pads and almost new spare tires. Thanks for the advice so far guys! I am really glad I joined the forum. :rofl2:

#5 ·
All the engineers I have known are pathological when it comes to their toy maintenance. I would consider this bike if I wanted to purchase one.

Also it sounds like you haven't been to a track day. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I would say go for it...

My 2011 has just under 19,000 miles, street and trackdays, not to mention carrying 2 up the whole time (I am a big person). runs like a champ still.

#10 ·
I would consider buying it.

I would say 2 or 3 track days not 4 if the 1st time he this bike was on the track was the sellers 1st track day. Everyone's 1st track day is overwhelming so you hold back until the later part of the evening. Your 2nd track day you will be more comfortable but still would hold back here and there. For me my 3rd track was my best, I was really pushing it.

Trust your gut, talk to the seller feel him/her out , see what tracks they have ridden and ask what levels they have ridden in.

#11 ·
I would consider buying it.

I would say 2 or 3 track days not 4 if the 1st time he this bike was on the track was the sellers 1st track day. Everyone's 1st track day is overwhelming so you hold back until the later part of the evening. Your 2nd track day you will be more comfortable but still would hold back here and there. For me my 3rd track was my best, I was really pushing it.

Trust your gut, talk to the seller feel him/her out , see what tracks they have ridden and ask what levels they have ridden in.
This is sarcasm right?? If not, WTF:nopers:

#12 ·
I would do it for sure. I track or race most of my bikes and I have no hesitation about jumping on any of them and putting my life on the line. The only time I would at least do some extra diagnostics (compression test) was if it had a ton of track only miles with no refresh on the valve springs. Like was noted earlier, track days usually don't see the sustained redline environment of a race. Heck, most of a TD is getting round squids on 1000s parking it in the corners. Do it and have a blast!

#13 ·
I wouldn't, dude. As soon as a bike has seen a trackday it's like its hymen has been popped - it's never the same again.

Why don't you post a link to the ad and we can either confirm or deny our suspicions? >:)

Yeah dude, four track days isn't shit - as stated above, his being an engineer is an added bonus - they do take really good care of their shit (on the whole, there's always exceptions).

#15 ·
I am very happy I ended up buying the bike! Life is good!

Here's the BEFORE shots...

AFTER shots - replaced all the fairings. Put the stock RIGHT mirror back on but am still missing the LEFT one. I already ordered a chewed up used one on Ebay, but if someone has something nicer, please let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.