Triumph 675 Forums banner

How to remove PITA screws on inner fairing 13-15 Daytona 675R?

11K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Spagolli94 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to remove the front cowl to get to the parking lamp and headlight housings to replace with LED'S. I know I need to remove the side fairings and then the front cowl and head bowls slide forward? I'm hung up on the fairing removal because I can't get those PITA screws to come loose. What is the trick? I have read that these are a problem and have tried to manipulate with a small flathead at the base of screw, squeeze screw while turning, etc but can't get them out.

What is the trick?

Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I sat for hours trying to turn these things in the right way. I then put the bike up on front and rear stands, and these things came right out.

I have since, installed LED head and parking lamps. I'll post a pic once I figure out how to upload them.

#9 ·
I originally had the same issues with removing those screws until I found the secret. If the screws don't seem like they're coming out, try tightening them a little, then try unscrewing them again. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's a matter of getting the threads to line up.

#13 ·
Gravedig, but wanted to leave this here for people. Speednuts and Allen bolts can be had for about $1ea on eBay:

I had a 12% success rate getting them out the way they are designed to work, which combined with a lack of empathy or compassion on my part meant that I just had to monster them out with a pair of needle-nose pliers, trashing them in the process. My conscience is clear and I will sleep fine tonight. For simplicity's sake I did also remove the two main fairing panels to get access to the upper pair on either side.

Then it was just a case of slipping the new 'speednuts' onto the plastic lugs of the fairing... except of course it wasn't that simple. The first one was... but the other three on each side didn't allow room for the entire speednut assembly, so I had to Dremmel them down:

Here they are fitted to the fairing:

And the finished product. There you go Triumph, how fcuking hard was that? Factory quality look, reliable and simple to use:

I might find some larger washers to spread the load a bit better.

The only irritation is that these are a 1mm smaller Allen key than the two underneath, but still a win.

#14 ·
Gravedig, but wanted to leave this here for people. Speednuts and Allen bolts can be had for about $1ea on eBay:

I had a 12% success rate getting them out the way they are designed to work, which combined with a lack of empathy or compassion on my part meant that I just had to monster them out with a pair of needle-nose pliers, trashing them in the process. My conscience is clear and I will sleep fine tonight. For simplicity's sake I did also remove the two main fairing panels to get access to the upper pair on either side.

Then it was just a case of slipping the new 'speednuts' onto the plastic lugs of the fairing... except of course it wasn't that simple. The first one was... but the other three on each side didn't allow room for the entire speednut assembly, so I had to Dremmel them down:

Here they are fitted to the fairing:

And the finished product. There you go Triumph, how fcuking hard was that? Factory quality look, reliable and simple to use:

I might find some larger washers to spread the load a bit better.

The only irritation is that these are a 1mm smaller Allen key than the two underneath, but still a win.
You can take this concept and just put Dzus fasteners on it. Easy on and off with no tools and they are pretty cheap. I keep packs of them around and you will be amazed how often you use them.

#16 ·
I'm trying to change my oil and I'm about to lose it and start punching walls!!! Uhghghg!!! I've tried some of the techniques I've found online, including this thread and I only managed to get ONE out. I'm trying to put a flathead screwdriver behind the larger part and apply some leverage while turning the smaller Phillips head screw out. It worked on one of them, but I'm totally failing on the rest. The technique requires two hands in a very cramped space.

I've read to try to use very little pressure when turning the screw out. This is tough because if I don't use at least a little pressure, I can't get the screwdriver to bite and it starts to spin and strip the crappy plastic screw.

Am I missing something? Is there some special tool required?

#17 ·
I literally took mine off 2 hours ago. Dont use a philips. Use a flat head that fits pretty much exactly in the slot and don't put pressure the screw. Just take it slow and they will likely screw out without too much fuss unless they have been off multiple times, then it might be a bit more tedious.

#18 ·
On my phone and it won't let me edit...by flat head i mean either a stubby screwdriver or a flat head bit in the 1/4" adapter so you have a lighter touch. Literally use the ends of your fingers on either one or the axial load on the screw will likely be enough to stop it from unscrewing.

#19 ·
Thanks - I'll try a flat head and see if I have any better luck. I'm not sure I have a flat head small enough to fit such a tiny groove. Did you need to apply leverage to the base as well? On the two I was able to get out, it seemed to be key to start to pry them out, then the prongs would begin to compress around the screw and allow the threads to bite.

#20 ·
Fail on the flathead as well. I think I'm just going to return the oil and take it to the dealer. I've already wasted 3 hours on this, meanwhile I have clients with 6-figure projects that I'm not attending to. Sure, I guess it's cheaper to change your own oil, but this is the definition of penny wise, pound foolish.

Also, I had a buddy stop by this morning to help. He's a mechanical engineer who design a tire bead breaking product and founded https://beadbuster.com/

He concluded this is one of the worst designs that he has seen. Even with multiple tools, a little crow bar thingy, etc., we were only able to get the bottom two screws out.

I thought changing my own oil would be quick and easy - maybe even a little fun. Wrong!!! Uhhghg.

As a final shot, maybe I'll try picking up some more tiny flatheads but at this point, I'm not very optimistic.

I even tried these: Push Pin Pliers

Those failed as well.

#21 ·
Using a small flat head, I was able to get 3 of the 4 out. After stuggling with the final pin for 15 minutes, I just grabbed some wire cutters and ripped it out. I ordered some non-screw pins from Amazon but 8mm and 9mm are too big. So I'll be returning those. I bought a "variety pack" with a bunch of different styles ranging from 6mm - 10mm. I'm hoping ONE of those will do the trick. The good news is the rest of my oil change went off without a hitch - but it was way harder than it should've been!!

#22 ·
I happed to be at Pep Boys today and they had Hillman 1/4" push-in nylon rivets, just like these:
Hillman Rivets

A two pack was only $1.69 so for a whopping $3.40, I solved my issue. These rivets fit perfect. Nice and snug, yet easy to get out with a screwdriver or needle nose pliers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.