Triumph 675 Forums banner

2013 D675 Clip-On Riser Options

28K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  nripin 
#1 ·
I searched the Clip-On Riser Option Sticky above, but the thread has no/minimal information for the 2013 Daytona.

I tried installing the Apex clip-on risers, but riser posts interfered with the ABS module and the lever positions, so I put it back to stock for now..

Does anyone out there know how to make the Apex risers fit on a 2013 Daytona?

Additionally, does anyone know the installation pros and cons for the 13 Daytona of other clip-on riser options such as Woodcraft, Gilles, LSL, Helibars, Convertibars, Tarozzi, etc... ?

Thanks!:smile:

#4 ·
They didn't work :unhappy: ......

There are three main challenges of installing clip-on risers on the 2013 D675....

1. The thickness of the triple tree clamp is 8mm:

2. The clearance from brake assembly to fairing is limited:

3. The space for brake and lever lines is limited:

CLIP-ON RISER OPTIONS (early results:curtsey:)
1. APEX clip-on risers
Here are the Apex clip-on risers:

There are 3 complications with the Apex riser clip-ons:
1. There is only 6mm of clearance between the riser post and the inside of the clamp:

2. The post can't be raised high enough to clear the triple clamp because it hits the fairing; and,

3. The riser post that hangs below the clamp interferes with the brake and lever lines underneath the brake reservoir.

So, Apex riser assembly no worky :pout:

(Luckily, my hubby has a 2013 GSXR 750 he will be able to install the Apex risers on instead.:wink2:)

2. Apex GP Clip-Ons
Although they are not a "riser," per se, if set at the 0 degree angle adjustment, it should give you about an inch of rise. I have these on order and will post up results when they arrive. :thumbsup:

3. Speedymoto
Speedymoto clip-ons with Omni bars:

I called Speedymoto this morning, and a representative measured the distance from the inside of the clamp to where the clamp holds the bar, and I was told it was.......

wait for it....

8mm!!!!!!!!! :threecheers:

The benefit of the speedy moto over the Apex GP Clip-Ons may be that we get a little more rise out of them. However, it may be too much rise and hit the fairing. I ordered a set and we are going to see how it goes, will post up results. We may need to lightly sand the outer band of the triple clamp to make a smidgen more room, but we will see:hmm:

4. Gilles Vario Bars
These have a lot of potential, but I have been unable to get a measurement on the distance from the inside of clamp to the piece that holds the bars....
If anyone out there can give us that measurement, that would help mucho:icon_wink:

5. Heli Bars...

Dunno if these will work. We need some pix and detailed measurements.
Can someone out there help us with this? :computer:

6. LSL...

Again, don't know if these will work yet. If anyone out there has detailed measurements and info on these, I would appreciate it :thumbup:
The LSL's look like they should work.... again, we have multiple clearance issues to figure out. Maybe I should just order a pair to add to the research pile :rolleyes:

Cheers:icon_thank:

#5 ·
It's a very good possibility that any "riser" clipon is going to require some modification. At the very least, mounting the brake fluid res. It is almost probable some adjustment, or perhaps replacement, of brake lines. Possibly some cutting of the fairings as well. It boils down to how much rise you need. I have GP's on my 06 and everything was close. Also, keep in mind all of your controls will require either drilling holes in the aftermarket clipons or removing the locator pins on the controls. You might need to get creative at that point to get them to stay in place without rotating. Heli-bars are the only ones I am aware of that come pre-drilled and have all the "bugs" worked out for a true put on and go... But you pay for them... Good luck!

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks. Yes, I realize most options are going to require some kind of modification. I guess I'm looking for 1-1/2" rise, as long as I don't have to cut the fairing... for some reason, I am "cut the fairing resistant." Also, the price isn't that much of an issue (<500. US), my priority is to get the bike right ergonomically for me using the most simple/elegant solution. :grin:

Not in the market, but great post. I love when people make really informative posts around here. So useful. :cool2:
Thank you. :curtsey:

I'm really liking this thread. Seems like you're going to be the pioneer on the 2013 clip on front. Without measuring and just from comparing the clip ons of the previous Daytona to the 13 I think Helibars are an option. Keep in mind that the clip ons were already raised 5mm from the last model so the stated 42mm raise might end up being 37mm. The brake fluid reservoir seems to be in the same spot. I just hope it clears the fairing. I'll be purchasing these once I get home from a work trip end of June. If you haven't already sorted out the kinks I'll let you know how I go.
The Heli bars would be awesome if they fit. I will look forward to your report!:thumbsup:

NEWSFLASH :celebrate:I just received the following email from a Triumph salesperson:

"Good news, LSL will be developing a Tour Match Kit for the Daytona 675 2013, but it can take a few weeks.
They have asked us to contact them again in 4 weeks to see how they are doing.
LSL would also make the bars so you will not have to adjust the bike at all."

I will report in when I hear more. Until then. :cheers2:

#7 · (Edited)
I'm really liking this thread. Seems like you're going to be the pioneer on the 2013 clip on front. Without measuring and just from comparing the clip ons of the previous Daytona to the 13 I think Helibars are an option. Keep in mind that the clip ons were already raised 5mm from the last model so the stated 42mm raise might end up being 37mm. The brake fluid reservoir seems to be in the same spot. I just hope it clears the fairing. I'll be purchasing these once I get home from a work trip end of June. If you haven't already sorted out the kinks I'll let you know how I go.

#11 ·
SPEEDYMOTO

Installed the Speedymoto Clip-ons today, and they fit perfectly :lucky:

Even though the speedymoto clip-ons aren't advertised as risers, I would say I gained a good 1-1/2" inches rise, plus, the angles of the bars are adjustable.

They are awesome. :thumbsup: No need for any modification or additional brake line (we just had to trim the stock reservoir bracket a bit - pic below).

Here ya go:
Brake side (my husband had a leftover fluid reservoir from his Tiger that). The Triumph fluid reservoir is a tad slimmer than the stock one, but just by a 1-2mm. :

Top view:

Rear view shot of hinged back (no triple tree removal after you install these puppies!:), notches for accurate setting of the bar angle:thumbup:, and -on the lefthand side- the bit where we used a sawsall to trim the reservoir bracket:

:curtsey:

#13 ·
I am going to jump in for AlohaGirl as I see she never responded.
The Speedy Moto's did the trick for her and you really are not going to go any higher with stock cables and lines. Remember, these all come with ABS now so that front brake line goes back to the ABS block and probably have a special fitting (not normal banjo fitting).
Hope that helps!
DT

#16 · (Edited)
Just confirming Aloha Girl's success with speedymoto clip-ons. I just had them installed by dealer at 500 mile service and they fit perfectly with no modifications using the brake cylinder mount provided by speedymoto using the closest of the 3 attach points. View of tach is still clear but reservoir does seem to be a tad over the tach more than before but still totally clear of tach numbers. I have a 2015 daytona 675R with the brembo brakes and brake cylinder so just letting all know. I measured rise from floor to stock bar end on showroom stock bike and then on mine after speedymoto adjustable clip-ons with their Adjustable Omni-bars. The dealer was able to get the omni-bars installed with some rear-ward and downward angle the resulted in a height 1.5 inches higher than stock. I only did a short test-ride after they installed them but the ergos felt more comfortable yet still sporty. If you aren't aware of the omni-bar it has a 14 degree bend in it and you can rotate the bars in the clamp to however you want. There is limited set point on the daytona of course due to the tight quarters with the windscreen/faring but it is possible with a 1/2 inch clearance at tightest point between brake reservoir and windscreen when approaching right hand steering lock position.

Edit: does seem like a tiny bit of buzz in bars above 8K rpm now that wasn't there before. Keeping hands close to controls no buzz but if you hold bar more to the end then it is noticeable now. I'm very sensitive to this since I had a very buzzy bike once so it may be nothing just thought I'd mention it since the Supermoto option isn't cheap if you don't like it. Riding position is definitely more comfy though and useful since head checks in normal street riding are easier since in a more upright position.

#17 ·
After reading this forum I decided to order the Speedymoto clip-ons and Omni bars for my 2014 675R. In trying to order it looks like Speedymoto is now part of www.motowheels.com. They show that they are out of stock. I was able to order a set from www.proitalia.com. Crossing my fingers.

#18 ·
The speedymoto's are a nice peice fo work for sure, and with the mni bar pretty versatile..
I am on my 2nd set fo these, as had some on my 2012 675R but sold them with the bike... after going back to my 2011 675R with renthals, it ws nice and day difference that the speedymoto were far more comfy and capable.

#19 ·
ProItalia came thru

I received the SpeedyMoto bars from ProItalia. My wrenching skills are limited at best. The mechanic at the local Triumph dealer installed them for me - some modifications required. I can also confirm they work well and the ride for me is improved.

#20 ·
I realize this is an older thread, but thought I would let people know that my 2013 675R has the APEX clip-on risers and they work fine. I bought my bike used and they were already installed, so I can't talk to any issues regarding installation. However, they work great.

#21 ·
Installed Speedy Moto's on my 2014 D675R today. I'm a complete novice to working on bikes, took me about 4 hours to install :(

Didn't have to make any big modifications, used the brake res relocation bracket that was included

Random tidbits I learned for the curious...
Yoke nut is 38mm, wrap in electrical tape for protection
Those bar ends are a PITA to get off even with the numerous videos explaining it, I ended up cutting the grips which was a worse choice.
Putting on new grips...not fun. Do yourself a favor and buy grips that come on a throttle tube, there are a few options

#23 ·
Using the 25mm riser ones with the Omnia bars.. think that is the one they are called.. still had to have them down a bit on the forks even after much moving of the brake reservoir..

As for the issues some experience with the stock brakelines and that locator tab, CUT IT OFF..

#25 ·
And heard back from SpeedyMoto's Canadian dealer, they don't make the adjustable ones now, just the Tall Boys. They would probably be too tall. If I slid them down the forks would it interfere with the brake line, etc?

#26 · (Edited)
If speedymoto still makes the omni bars then you could just buy the omni bars and a pair of the woodcraft 1' risers to achieve basically the same effect. Though you'll have to rig something up for mounting the brake reservoir. Thinking this - http://www.revzilla.com/product/woodcraft-universal-reservoir-mount-bracket or http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/driven-racing-universal-reservoir-clamp
+
http://www.motosport.com/sato-racing-universal-bracket

This is what I'm thinking of doing since it'd also be about 100 cheaper.

#28 ·
Got the Woodcraft risers and Speedymoto bars. Loosely fit everything and turned the bars to full lock in both directions, I think they'll work just fine. I'll update this once I get all the controls back on and settle on a position for everything, and of course take some pics.

#29 ·
Okay, got them mounted loosely and just checking clearance, looks like they'll be good to go. Here's some pics, obviously the 2 bars aren't matching yet, was working more on clearance for the throttle side. Also installed my motionpro kit while I was at it.

It's very tight, but have it at a place right now where nothing is rubbing, and that's with the omnibars pointing almost all the way up.

Attachments

#32 ·
No problem. I have a list of mods I want to do and the throttle and clip ons were near the top since the others are mostly cosmetic and I feel like being more comfortable will be safer if my throttle hand isn't falling asleep on me. I have damaged the tendons in my right hand before which I think is a contributing factor to that. Hopefully this helps.

As far as the low profile seat goes, I'm sure in combination with clip ons it would be an improvement, although I don't really think there's a low seat for the 2013+ bikes. On its own I think you only lose .5-1" of height so it's not drastic. Could try shaving the stock seat down but I don't think that's something I'd try myself.

#33 ·
JJR thanks again for all this :bowdown: - im also from Canada (Ontario)

Im looking to order parts.

Earlier you posted this link http://motowheels.com/i-6921187-spee...-ons-50mm.html it seems they have them in stock. - so this would be an option - but you also mentioned your solution is a $100 cheaper - may i ask where you ordered from? - would this solution offer the same rise? - Am I looking for 50mm?

and your absolutely right about the seat. I found figures close to a .5 drop - not significant enough for the money spent on the seat.

looking to the riser mod immediately.

#34 ·
I think someone else said it was $100 cheaper. That place didn't actually have it in stock when I was looking and they're discontinued, so I would call or email before you order.

I ordered from Bayside Performance in BC. You'll want to email if you order from them because the Woodcraft riser kit normally comes with handle bars and I didn't want them. They special ordered me a kit without the bars as opposed to just taking the bars out of another kit.

I ordered a bunch of other crap too so not sure if it was any cheaper. Either way, it was the option available to me to get omnibars as well as a 1" rise at the clamp.

I used the driven clamp for the brake reservoir. I'll take some close up pics tonight if I manage to put pants on and get off my ass. Sessioning Dark Souls 3 pretty hard lately.

#35 ·
From the photos you posted earlier it seems like the omni bars were longer in length from stock, so did you cut the excess ? Or what? I'm noob at this. Photos would be so good, but no feel you on darks souls III :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.