DarkHorse's (almost) new Jet Black

27K views 72 replies 21 participants last post by  DarkHorse675 
#1 · (Edited)
DarkHorse is back - Black Daytona #3

\\:D/:dance::woot:

It's here!!! Finally! Introducing... Tona2:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
So what do you with a brand new (close enough) bike?

Strip it down!

Rad Guard:

BTW - anyone who's fitting one of these - I found it MUCH easier to undo the top two radiator mount bolts and loosen the bottom one, thereby allowing the radiator to drop a little bit and give you room to fit the guard. The supplied instructions tell you to undo the steering damper mounting screws, which are Torx screws and a PITA to access.

Lesson learned from last time, GBR protection kit (engine covers, frame sliders, front and rear axle protection) on straight away. Frustratingly I didn't have an 8mm Allen key for the engine bolts, so couldn't get the frame sliders on straight away. Since done.

Woodcraft rearsets as well:

Rear GBR stuff:

TechSpec tank grips - were on the last one and I loved it:

Got the Scorpio alarm in as well, but hadn't thought about the US charger for the remote! I bought it used from the states, and I don't have an adaptor! Oh well, bike still starts and runs fine, so it can wait.

About the only other things I really want to do to it is a dark screen, black bar ends, black chain (when it needs doing) black levers (on the way). Oh, and an in-line pressure brake light switch for the Woodcrafts. Hopefully be able to get the HIDs off the old bike before it gets auctioned.

First impressions are great, it feels really familiar straight away. Little differences are aparent on the over-run - Triumph have done something tricky with the engine management to soften the engine breaking (rather than a slipper clutch) wich makes the bike a little more manageable. This one also doesn't have the quick-action 1050 throttle tube installed like the last one, so it's a bit softer on the power delivery. Haven't decided if I like it or not - softer accel but easier to balance throttle and clutch, or find the sweet spot in a corner. The Jardine sounds deeper and richer than the TOR can on the old bike, but not as loud and seems to cackle less on the over-run (see above.) Only other changes between models are the new front, radial front brake master cylinder, and high and low speed damping on the forks.

Wish the weather was better and I had more time to familiarise. Gotta get the fourbie sorted too now...

#4 ·
Thanks all.

Been a hectic 24hours - picking up bike, fitting everything while I waited for ARB not to call me - never order anything through them if it's time critical, they've now cost me a $75 late transfer fee for the rego, 2 weeks just to get parts up from Melbourne - then finally called them and went to pick up the new front suspension for the car, worked on fitting that until 11pm last night (17yo seized bolts - not fun!) Left the car on axle stands overnight in a No Standing area :shock: (cul de sac type area, so no real drama, although the parking nazis around here are really keen) then two more hours thismorning finishing it off. Have just dropped it at the workshop for a blueslip.

I've got that new rider buzz again - new bike, new helmet, new boots...

Here she is in all her blacked out goodness (well, for now!)

And here is the ghetto rear brake light switch I've rigged up until I can get a banjo for it. Not real pretty, but it works fine for now

PS - sorry for anyone not on a broadband connection!

#5 ·
I'm jealous.
It sure would be satisfying adding the accessories you really like/want straight up, knowing what you know now.

And I like hearing the updates Triumph added are worth having, if they made them in the scorched yellow again I might even update myself.

Looks good.
Enjoy

#7 ·
ozegg - Yeah, makes it feel worth having the box of parts sitting there for weeks waiting to go on!

Updates seem pretty good so far - I'm not likely to really use the finer adjustments for a while yet, and probably wouldn't notice the lighter wheels (which I didn't mention) but the lack of engine breaking is really obvious compared to the original model.

princess - she's pretty schmick! Less than a year old, less than 5,000km, fresh of the showroom floor. Hopefully I can keep her looking that good for a while yet. I'm still a bit wary of wet roads after the last one, let alone dirt! Did a bit of dirtbiking on the old gixxer, but I wasn't nearly as protective of that (bought it 8 years old, 55,000km for $5,000.) I'm pretty fastidious with the Tonas.

#14 ·
hold back those tears dude........:itsok:

#16 ·
Oh, Stu, you hadn't seen any of it? There's a massive thread on NR. Warning - some disturbing images!

I felt terrible - I'd only had the thing for 5 weeks! It was such an inoccuous stack - so slow, I didn't have a scratch on me, but the insurance companies are pretty viscious on these things. Repair quote was absolutely terrifying!

A bit of a dent to the pride and the confidence, but otherwise all good. There'll be a very affordable, minor damage Daytona at Fowles coming up soon if anyone's interested... (if you get it before I can get to them can I get the HIDs back? :wink2: )

Thanks all for the compliments! Brake switch works fine for now. Anyone tell me what size banjo switch I need? 1.0mm or 1.25mm thread pitch?

#17 · (Edited)
Finally got some more work done on her today:

More black stuff - Driven D3 grips, bar ends, and preload adjusters (just because a local shop had a package deal on.) Also the very nice FP levers from the GB here:

Installation is pretty simple - once you get the farkin factory bar ends out! A bit of persuasion required at each step, but nothing too hard. The Driven grip on the LHS is a little shorter than the factory one though, and I had to flatten out the lugs on the end of the throttle tube.

And some practicality - GPS mount in the steering stem:

Cable run under the tank direct to the battery. One day I'll get around to putting a decent connector for the quick-disconnect. This way I can easily and quickly attach and detach the cradle when I need it:

Riders POV:

Rear brake banjo switch wiring, before it was all made pretty with heat-shrink and stashed away out of sight. Easy enough install, just swap out the factory banjo bolt for the switch, make the connections and tidy everything up. I re-used the factory boot to cover the bolt. Then just bleed the rear brakes and job done:

And a bit of blatant bling... makes the bike go heaps faster now:

I reckon I pretty much just have to powdercoat the bars, top triple, and side-stand and she'll be completely blacked out!
Oh, and one more bit of go-fast carbon - tank protectors from NJCustoms are on the way.

#19 ·
Thanks mate!

Got the LED parkers in to match the HIDs today, they look great, and colour is pretty close! Got 'em cheap locally on eBay.com.au - about $12 a pair I think...

Here is a side-by-side with the stock bulbs:

Here is an idea of the colour match:

From front-on:

And here is what the HID beams look like:

#20 ·
Some more blatant go-faster mods:
Infills: (NB - these are for an 06-08, and I had to cut them down to fit behind 09+ headlight casings)

Chain guard:

I promise that once I've got the tank corner pads on I will stop spending money on CF. Promise.

And I finally got around to fitting a decent 'waterproof' connector for the GPS. It's a little clunky, but I don't notice it when the cradle is removed, so all good:

#22 ·
A brief update...

On the build side of things the only progress is that the double bubble dark tint Zero Gravity screen is fitted, and looks awesome! More black!!!

In other news - the oil leak that nearly wrecked my track day has been confirmed as a missing seal behind the Gear Position Sensor, which is being replaced by the dealer out of 'goodwill' - appropriate since it was left out by another dealer...

Anyhoo, my downshifting dramas may be the result of a shifting rod recall that my bike missed out on - pretty simple and straightforward except that I am being warned it could be a 2 week wait to get the part from Triumph UK. To make matters worse they won't give my bike back because it's classified as a 'safety issue' - despite the fact that I've been riding around on the thing for the best part of a year and only came across the problem on the track. Anyway... that's me bikeless. AGAIN.

Getting them to do the 10,000km service while it's there, and while the warranty is still there (only just, so want to find out anything that needs attention now!)

#24 ·
Got her back from the shop today! Woohoo! Perfect timing for the shitty weather snap in Adelaide.

GPS seal and shifter linkage replaced under warranty, so that was all nice.

10,000km service cost $200, which I thought was alright, until I turned the page and saw that the oil filter ($20) oil ($55) and waste disposal ($15) were extra!

Total came to $320ish, which is a bit rich given that all the add-ons are standard elements of a standard service...

Anyhoo, got the bike back, so I'm happy!

#26 ·
Got her back from the shop today! Woohoo! Perfect timing for the shitty weather snap in Adelaide.

GPS seal and shifter linkage replaced under warranty, so that was all nice.

10,000km service cost $200, which I thought was alright, until I turned the page and saw that the oil filter ($20) oil ($55) and waste disposal ($15) were extra!

Total came to $320ish, which is a bit rich given that all the add-ons are standard elements of a standard service...

Anyhoo, got the bike back, so I'm happy!
Peter Stevens told me my bike was the only one ever to have shifter linkage problems. That was their reason for trying not to do it under warranty- I must have caused it. After a huge argument they fixed it but jesus... at least they did yours without a fight.

For servicing try Competition Conversions. Heaps cheaper plus it seems to be a more comprehensive service. They remove and clean the air filter, adjust the chain tension etc...

#25 ·
Glad you're back on the road.

Yeah, when I MUST speak to PS for a stamp in the book, I change all the fluids and filters myself so that they can't skin me for the extras.

Can't believe it's taken this long to get your bike back .... mind you PS have huge service lead times, don't they?

O.B

#27 ·
Cheers guys!

OB - I took the bike in the Tuesday morning after the Mallala day, but they couldn't book it in until the following Monday. To their credit they had everything sorted that afternoon, just waiting on the recall part from the UK (or so they told me anyway.) I was warned that it could be as long as two weeks, which turned into about 9 days - so really can't complain about the communication etc.

Rorz - they told me it was a VIN-specific recall, so maybe yours and mine were the same run out of the factory, they just hadn't realised and issued the recall when yours went in? Dunno.

And thanks for the recommendation - would love to check them out, but I'm only in Adelaide for another 3 weeks. No idea when or where I'll need the next one done!

Hope the rain holds off so I can hit the hills again on Monday!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.