Triumph 675 Forums banner

Any ideas to cure a hot seat??

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  chomorro 
#1 ·
Looked at lots of posts about this and the general answer is to buy a arrow full low boy exhaust to solve this hot seat problem. I have been putting up with it for a year because I love the sounds and looks of the twin high mount way better.

Im starting to ride a lot more these days and I need some solutions otherwise im just going to get a italian low mount slip on (full arrow system is too much to spend for me).

Is there something I can put under the seat to maybe make things better?? Engine heat blanket or something, but it would have to be super thing for it to fit....... Has anyone wrapped their exhaust pipes and it made a big difference? These options cost some money so I would rather not trial and error when it cold go towards the new exhaust :grin2:

#2 ·
You can try wrapping the mid pipe, I felt it only made a minor difference, it is where the bulk of the heat seems to come from.

Or start chasing around bike wreckers or eBay for the parts to make a up complete secondhand Arrow low boy system.

A low boy system really is the only cure, aside from a lot of ugly visible heat shielding over the top of the pipes.

#3 ·
thanks for the response, exactly what im looking for. Don't want spend on exhaust wrap if it doesn't help enough.

I will search for a used low boy for sale, but the Italian slip ones are about $600 and use the stock headers

#5 ·
Low mount exhaust will cure it, though I hear slip on high mount cans don't retain as much heat as the stockers. One of the most uncomfortable parts of the stock system for me was the midpipe put a lot of heat onto my right leg, I was so happy when my arrow came in!

#6 ·
Hafa Adai! ;-)

If you wanna stroll without the heat you gotta go lowmount man. I recently did it and it was a night and day difference. The Zard low mount slip ons you are talking about (I know I looked too...LOL ebay from Italy) features a near 360 bend in it so you will lose some power due to that. Best bet is to

A. Send your headers to member: TRMN8TR and have him cut out the cat and weld on the correct pipe. Great service and turn around is pretty good. Then get a Comp Werkes pipe...great sound, Gain a bit of power (3-4hp max). Here is the thread:http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=135322&highlight=headers

B. Just buy the $600 low mount slip on...Zards do look good, but for the same money you could have option A with more HP.

C. Buy a full dedicated system: Zard -$1k, Arrow -$1k on ebay (one of our members is actually the seller of the ebay one for $1k - he wouldn't drop the price any further...LOL http://www.triumph675.net/forum/member.php?u=82506)

I did some pretty extensive research on options...there are other options...but not if you want to keep the stock subframe ;-) Let me know if you have any questions.

#7 ·
Hafa dude! Seems like you haven't been on here since forever! The heat is mostly from the engine and not really from mid pipe. Don't get me wrong the pipes are hot and emitting heat also but majority of it is engine heat. Stop and go traffic is the worse. I've seen some people heat foil the bottom of their seat but not sure on the results of it.

Reactions: chomorro
#8 ·
what are you wearing when you ride if you don't mind me asking.

not sure how you haven't acclimated to it after 1 year; every bike I've ever was hot when I first got it, went away after more usage.

Reactions: chomorro
#9 ·
The stock mufflers are the main heat culprit for the seat. They get very hot and retain a lot of heat. Simply switching to some carbon slip-on cans will almost get rid of the heat. I have the TORS on mine and the heat was reduced quite a bit since they are flow-through not baffled (trapping heat).

I don't feel that much heat off the mid-pipe, and since the cat is down low under the motor it does not effect me personally at all. If the cat was under the seat it would be a serious issue IMO.

Good luck with what-ever you decide.

#10 ·
I have heat wrapped previous bike headers and mid pipes and it worked instantly dropping the heat coming off the pipes, i would soak it in water before application makes it more pliable, use hose clamps instead of stainless steel ties and only buy the black heat wrap as the beige wrap gets dirty and you cant clean it. The thinner the wrap the better it looks around bends.

#11 ·
Strange I didn't get any notifications for this thread!!! HAFA!!!

I currently always wear riding jeans with Kevlar.

I already have arrow dual slipons which did lower the heat some, and I also put new seat material to combat heat as well. (really wanted to keep the high mount look).

I have had the bike for a long time and don't notice the heat until I get into stop and go San Diego traffic. Even splitting lanes it was toasty, more so for my passenger though. So bad I had to pull over because the heat was starting to burn right through her jeggings or what ever girls wear nowadays.

I was hoping a simple solution would be to powder coat the mid pipe but because no one has done it, its hard to spend the money when it could go towards a low mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.