Triumph 675 Forums banner

Brembo brake master cylinder 2014 675R

8K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  bill_yyy 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have purchased a new brembo master cylinder and am wanting some tips from more experienced guys about replacing my stock master cylinder on my 675R.

I have the Triumph service manual and it seems pretty straight forward but if anyone can give me any tips on bleeding the brakes etc I would appreciate it.

Also do I need to consider anything with the ABS at all?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The install is pretty straightforward, I have done it several times on all my race bikes. The only thing to be careful about is not letting any air into your brake lines, or you'll end up doing lot of bleeding.

Bleeding is a big topic of discussion and it depends on how much experience you have with bleeding brakes. With ABS, *sometimes* you may need to bleed the ABS pump separately. The trick is to not let any air creep into the lines and your bleed process will be much smoother. If you can't get the right lever feel after bleeding, then there are many tricks you can try. Let us know if you run into any bleeding issues.

Reactions: Flex675R
#4 ·
Thank you. I've had a few people advise me not to attempt it as the ABS can be a pain. What advise could you give me to avoid letting air into the lines? I'm using an Airboy vacuum bleeder which is supposed to make the process a lot easier. It creates a vacuum and sucks the fluid into the container as well as the air obviously.

#6 ·
You might be right as I have no experience with Triumph ABS. Is it a Bosch unit? On my S1000RR (with Bosch ABS pump), I never had to bleed the pump, but then I was very careful with the bleed process. My friend is a Ducati master tech and he once told me that Ducatis are notorious about this and sometimes the ABS pump on those need to be bled.

Thank you. I've had a few people advise me not to attempt it as the ABS can be a pain. What advise could you give me to avoid letting air into the lines? I'm using an Airboy vacuum bleeder which is supposed to make the process a lot easier. It creates a vacuum and sucks the fluid into the container as well as the air obviously.
1. Make sure to keep the fluid reservoir filled at least 25% at all times during bleeding. This will prevent air from creeping in.
2. Bleed the master cylinder first, followed by left caliper and then the right caliper.
3. The air bleeder hose can suck air from around the mc/caliper bleeder nipple. You can put some silicone grease (silicone doesn't react with brake fluid) around the nipple to reduce this.
4. When bleeding the master cylinder, make sure that there is no air trapped between the reservoir and the master cylinder. I typically replace the stock black rubber hose with clear tubing on all my bikes, as it helps me see the bubbles.

#7 ·
So I got home and mowed my lawns... weekend chores done, cracked a beer and prepared myself for the new master cylinder install. I started reading the Triumph service manual and came across the section "Bleeding for models with ABS". See picture below.

Long story short, taking it to the dealer in the morning.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the triumph diognostic tool costs $3500 australian dollars. I can't justify it so will pay half hr of labour at the dealer.

Anyone want to buy an Airboy brake bleeder kit, lol.

Attachments

#9 ·
So I got home and mowed my lawns... weekend chores done, cracked a beer and prepared myself for the new master cylinder install. I started reading the Triumph service manual and came across the section "Bleeding for models with ABS". See picture below.

Long story short, taking it to the dealer in the morning.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the triumph diognostic tool costs $3500 australian dollars. I can't justify it so will pay half hr of labour at the dealer.

Anyone want to buy an Airboy brake bleeder kit, lol.
Those instructions seem to be for bleeding the ABS pump. I don't see a reason why you would need to do that if you are just replacing your master cylinder. You could give it a try yourself to bleed your master and lines, if you run into any issues then you could always go to the stealer.

#11 ·
So I took it to my mechanic, they had to bleed the entire system. Basically the diognostics tool vibrates the lines and gets any air bubbles out, it Was quite cool to watch.

I got the oil and filter changed, ECU update and master cylinder installed and they only charged me 1/2 hour of labour (mates rates).

Attachments

#14 ·
I did the install and bleed process myself, at the track, after a lowside, which ruined the standard lever.

Perfectly good excuse to put the new master cylinder on.

Bleed it fine with the ABS still on the bike. No dramas since.

Just get that front suspension firmed up, as she likes to brake and dive hard now!

#16 ·
The OEM brembo unit isn't quite the quality of the Brembo RCS units. Definitely noticed a more firm and crisp feel on the brakes when I upgraded to an 19 RCS unit on the same bike you're riding, though I'm still not 100% happy with how the brakes feel. Still feels pretty soft at the beginning of the pull and doesn't have as much bite as I'd like through the pull.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.