Triumph 675 Forums banner

Talk to me about rearsets: AP vs Woodcraft

13K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  Phicurious86 
#1 · (Edited)
So now that I'm going more trackdays on my 14 DaytonaR I'm looking at getting some aftermarket rear sets to help improve my body positioning. I've got it narrowed down to either the AP or the Woodcraft rearsets and while I like the added adjustability of the APs I can get the Woodcrafts for about $100 cheaper than the APs. I also like the pegs on the Woodcrafts vs. the APs. I'm also not terribly interested in GP shift and plan to stay with the stock shifting for the foreseeable future.

I'm looking for feedback on these two sets. Has anyone used both sets and found reason to prefer one over the other? If you were in my shoes would you still spend the extra $100 to get the attacks? Are there things with either set that bothered you or were serious enough that you couldn't live with?

#2 ·
I've ridden both extensively and I prefer the AP's currently on my bike. They shift smoother, they're more adjustable, neutral is easier to find and in my experience so far, they crash better.

Woodcrafts are more common so if you go down at the track, you're more likely to find someone with spares. @mszilves will tell you repairing a minor lowside will cost $100 minimum for a footpeg and bracket. Lowside the Attacks and it's $50 if you're lucky and just need a footpeg, or $80 if you also broke a brake or shift lever. The cost will even out if you crash enough...

Also, if you care about cosmetics, Woodcraft's anodizing will fade in the sun. I've had no such problem with my AP's.

#3 ·
Having ridden both, I have to agree with @MGFChapin. ANY crash on the Woodcraft will likely need a new bracket and peg, which is $100. The bracket is designed to bend to save the frame tabs. The AP brackets are much heavier duty, and in most cases won't bend or break. Every crash is different, so there are no guarantees, but cost-wise on replacements it will probably be a wash in the end. I run Woodcraft regular shift and haven't had a single issue with them, and they shift well. Also, if you're a shorter rider, 5'7" or less, the AP have a little more forward/up adjustment.

#4 ·
Woodcraft doesn't use bearings or bushings. Just metal on metal which binds which is one reason why they don't shift as well as the Attack. Also the Attack can be used in standard or GP shift completely reversible as you wish. As well you can adjust the throw of the shifter. Shorter but stiffer shifts or longer easier shifts by changing the leverage point. Lastly unless they've changed things the Woodcrafts don't align the shift rod. It runs at an angle. Once again this is to the detriment of shifting.

#21 ·
Lastly unless they've changed things the Woodcrafts don't align the shift rod. It runs at an angle. Once again this is to the detriment of shifting.
They did actually fix this a couple years ago, they updated the shifter arm and made it offset, so that the rod lines up properly.

#5 ·
I have also used both Woodcraft and Attacks but on different bikes and I have only used Attacks on my Daytona.

The only reason I got Attack rearsets for the Daytona was because of the shifter setup. Woodcrafts place the shift rod outside of the frame. You also can not switch between GP or regular shift without having to buy different shift levers. For Attacks, it keeps it OEM style through the frame and shifting is switchable between GP and regular.
I also find that the Attack rearsets are a lot easier to adjust or swap out broken parts. The Woodcrafts have to be taken apart slightly to get to the bolts for the foot pegs. The Attacks also shift a lot smoother because of the bearings.

The only thing I don't like about the Attacks is that parts need to be ordered since they are not common at the track events I go to. No big deal though; you just need to make sure you don't crash :wink3:

#7 ·
I have also used both Woodcraft and Attacks but on different bikes and I have only used Attacks on my Daytona.

The only reason I got Attack rearsets for the Daytona was because of the shifter setup. Woodcrafts place the shift rod outside of the frame. You also can not switch between GP or regular shift without having to buy different shift levers. For Attacks, it keeps it OEM style through the frame and shifting is switchable between GP and regular.
I also find that the Attack rearsets are a lot easier to adjust or swap out broken parts. The Woodcrafts have to be taken apart slightly to get to the bolts for the foot pegs. The Attacks also shift a lot smoother because of the bearings.

The only thing I don't like about the Attacks is that parts need to be ordered since they are not common at the track events I go to. No big deal though; you just need to make sure you don't crash :wink3:
I can adjust my footpegs without removing the rearsets from the bike - just takes a stubby 5MM (I believe it's 5MM) hex key. Crashed my Woodcrafts two weeks ago (slow lowside in turn 5 at NJMP Thunderbolt) and took 5 minutes and $20 to swap out a new peg.

#8 ·
Regarding GP Shift ... dooooo eeeeetttttt. Don't even install the atacks in normal shift. Go GP right out the gate.

You will never go back, and you will kick yourself for every track day you spent on normal shift.

It really is that much better.

#10 ·
One great option no one seems to talk about is the Triumph branded race rearsets. I'm sure someone else makes them, but they are beautiful and functional. Installation was a breeze. The main reason I went with them is the footpegs are on a spring pivot like the stock ones. Models like the Woodcraft have a solid peg that does not give. When you lean way over, it's possible the solid peg can hit the track. When that happens, you get a sudden loss of weight on the tires and a lowside can happen instantly. I really like the pivot action so I can gently control lean without anything unloading. Another plus is they will just fold up in a low side and not bend up everything like is common with solid pegs.

The downside is they are not GP shift swappable if that is a must have.

Attachments

#12 ·
One great option no one seems to talk about is the Triumph branded race rearsets. I'm sure someone else makes them, but they are beautiful and functional. Installation was a breeze. The main reason I went with them is the footpegs are on a spring pivot like the stock ones. Models like the Woodcraft have a solid peg that does not give. When you lean way over, it's possible the solid peg can hit the track. When that happens, you get a sudden loss of weight on the tires and a lowside can happen instantly. I really like the pivot action so I can gently control lean without anything unloading. Another plus is they will just fold up in a low side and not bend up everything like is common with solid pegs.

The downside is they are not GP shift swappable if that is a must have.
I've seen the triumph brand sets on a friend's bike and agree that they look slick. However, they are much more expensive than either AP or woodcraft (at least at the prices riders discount offers) and I suspect you'd be hard pressed to get replacement parts for them in a timely manner.

#11 ·
Folding pegs "may" work well on the street however a fixed peg is a better option on the track. You don't have to worry about it moving with pressure and your foot slipping off the peg. The peg also does a good job of acting as a slider in a crash (might just rash the tip of that Akrapovic instead of the entire canister in a slow lowside).

#13 ·
The biggest problem with the Triumph rearsets is getting parts. Attack is available and a day or two away if need be. The Triumph ones are typically at least two weeks.

As far as solid vs folding pegs. If you're Street riding I'd keep folding it's nice not having the pegs jam you in the legs by accident.

On the track the pegs work as additional crash protection. They're strong and cheap to replace. They help keep you're feet from being trapped under the bike in a lowside. Also if placed in the proper position to put your knees up into the tank cutout. For most people 6' and under that's the highest furthest forward position. Then the only way you'll ever touch them is either you have horrible body position or you've crashed.

#14 ·
I watched one of my friends clip the curbing at the apex with his Woodcraft peg and destroy his new ZX-10. That wreck would not have happened with a folding peg. Solid pegs do indeed work as a slider, but probably cause more lowsides than people think. It's tough to figure the greater evil.

#16 ·
Solid pegs do indeed work as a slider, but probably cause more lowsides with inexperienced riders than people think. It's tough to figure the greater evil.
^^^^Fixed that for you

If folding pegs were a better option on the track then you would see all of the race teams using them. I don't know of a single professional racer (At MotoAmerica and higher) that uses folding pegs on the track.

#25 ·
Have you considered Giamoto's?

I have them on my '15 non-R, but I've added an OEM quick-shifter and it was no problem bolting on with the giamoto's that also look great (the main reason I chose them - aesthetics, but the work great and have a large amount of adjustability):

#26 ·
Have you considered Giamoto's?

I have them on my '15 non-R, but I've added an OEM quick-shifter and it was no problem bolting on with the giamoto's that also look great (the main reason I chose them - aesthetics, but the work great and have a large amount of adjustability):

Those look nice but I'd worry about time to replace parts after a crash. Also, is that shift clamp (the billet piece at the transmission shaft) your current setup? If so you might look into getting a longer shift rod. The clamp should be as close to 90* with the end of the rod as you can get it for the most solid shifts.

#32 ·
I love my ap rearsets! The pegs are spiky as hell, reminds me of meat tenderizers primo made for bmx. I stay away from them until I have boots on. I just converted to gp shift and it's soooo much easier to ride on the track. Just had an off and replaced peg for 43 bucks from rider discount.

#40 ·
Love my AP rearsets. Only complaint I have is during a crash on the track the right side bent just enough to contact the swing arm. Besides that it's been nothing but smooth shifting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.