Triumph 675 Forums banner

Opinion on swapping in 2009 D675 forks

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
Hi there,
Looking to change the the stock suspension on my 2010 street triple. I'm 75kg without kit, so I guess 85kg with kit, bike is for commuting / urban road use.

I believe the best option is to get the internals upgraded on the stock fork but there are a few logistical (and cost) issues with this option.

Instead I have an offer to buy forks+calipers+master cylinder from a 2009 daytona 675 to put on my 2010 street triple...are there many folk out there running these stock Daytona forks - is this likely to make a significant improvement over the original forks or is it just marginal.

Any advice is appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks
Austin

#4 ·
Yeah they're pretty stiff but the range of adjustment is decent. Fortunately, I never found any really bad roads while I had my gen 2 in California, but I wouldn't want to ride any washboard roads for miles on end. Keep in mind they're forks from a sportbike and behave accordingly.

#5 ·
I think you would like the change, personally I think the brakes alone would be worth the swap. But the forks aren't too bad on rough roads. It's the shock that is bad on rough roads IMO I have mine on factory settings and could definitely go softer so I doubt you would be unhappy unless you are expecting tourer ride comfort.

#6 ·
I'd buy the new forks/brakes and put them on. I run Daytona forks w/5wt oil on my 2010 Triple and I'm only about 5 lbs heavier than you. I have to back out the preload pretty much all the way, however.

Keep your stockers to return the bike to stock before selling. You'll probably recoup most of your investment as long as you don't overpay for the used forks.

#8 ·
Took the plunge and bought the forks + brakes.... will report back when fitted.

I run Daytona forks w/5wt oil on my 2010 Triple and I'm only about 5 lbs heavier than you. I have to back out the preload pretty much all the way
Glad you mentioned this as I think the previous owner put 10W oil in them - will swap it out to 5W before fitting :thumbup:

#11 ·
As I understand it, the thinner oil shifts the lessens the damping overall - both rebound and compression. There is still still enough adjustment to damp bumps, however. I have 5W in both the Daytona forks on my 2010 "Street" Triple and the STR forks on my 2008 "Track" Triple. I like it in both places, but I'm probably too slow to really take advantage of it. Here are the stock air gaps per the service manual:

Daytona 675 up to VIN 381274: 72mm, 495cc
Daytona 675 from VIN 381275: 89mm, 492cc
Street Triple: 107mm, 465cc
Street Triple R: 93mm, 475cc

#12 ·
I too went with 5w fluid/110mm air gap. It made a huge difference in feel, the forks are a lot less harsh now. The 110mm air gap has more to do with the plushness due to air being a better cushion than fluid. Also remember, as the fluid ages, it gets thicker, so if you plan to go the entire 48,000 mile recommended fork service interval (per the service schedule), your fluid will for sure be a lot thicker than 10w at that point, lol. I think the large majority of folks here go with 5w fluid from what I've read.

#13 ·
An update

I have the forks (and also a rear shock) fitted.

First impressions are good...so much better than stock suspension. Not too firm with the 5w oil and 110mm air gap :thumbup:

Brakes are a bit mushy and don't have the expected bite as they should - there may still be air in the system and/or the pads got contaminated.

One thing that is odd, is the compression damping on the forks... the high-speed compression damping adjuster seems to need to be fully tightened otherwise it would just be too loose. Its stock setting (3 turns out); if I loosen it to this it seems like the piece will come away from the fork completely (same on both forks btw). Thanks
I'm wondering if I have the 2009 second gen D675 forks, or perhaps I have the earlier one where the only only compression damping adjuster. Can someone take a look at the pics provided and let me know?

Attachments

#14 ·
I have the forks (and also a rear shock) fitted.

First impressions are good...so much better than stock suspension. Not too firm with the 5w oil and 110mm air gap :thumbup:

Brakes are a bit mushy and don't have the expected bite as they should - there may still be air in the system and/or the pads got contaminated.

One thing that is odd, is the compression damping on the forks... the high-speed compression damping adjuster seems to need to be fully tightened otherwise it would just be too loose. Its stock setting (3 turns out); if I loosen it to this it seems like the piece will come away from the fork completely (same on both forks btw). Thanks
I'm wondering if I have the 2009 second gen D675 forks, or perhaps I have the earlier one where the only only compression damping adjuster. Can someone take a look at the pics provided and let me know?
Your new forks are clearly Street Triple R forks (up to 2012) and they do not have a highspeed adjuster - they are lowspeed compression adjustable only and you only need a flat screwdriver to adjust compression damping. Still nice forks though and they are setup with much more damping than stock Street Triple. Your fork outer tubes looks a lot like stock Street Triple (goldish) where the STR has black outers. So maybe they are mixed from various parts and maybe even modified...

#17 ·
Agree that they do look like STR adjusters and caps, not Daytona. Though they also look like the gold color tubes of the Daytona forks. The Daytona forks are more of a yellowish/darker gold than the pale gold of the standard non-adjustable Street Triple forks. Another shot of the tubes would help confirm. I'm not sure if the internals from the STR forks are swappable into the non-R model.

#18 ·
Another shot of the tubes would help confirm.
Took a while but here's a few more pics - one of which shows an original fork leg beside new franken-forks. The gold colour seems to be the same....so that means the outers *aren't* from a Daytona and are probably from a ST? with different (STR?) internals?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.