Triumph 675 Forums banner

Knolly's 2013 Street Triple RS Build

14K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Knolly 
#1 · (Edited)
(Shamelessly reposting this since I couldn't figure out who to PM to ask to have my old thread moved)

I've been meaning to post a thread about this for a while and haven't quite gotten some nice shiny photos of it yet, but I wanted to at least share my bike a bit considering how many shiny things I've thrown at it.

I picked up a 2013 Street Triple earlier this year, basically like new with only 500 miles on it. I decided I wanted to do something interesting with it.

It started out with "oh, let's make this a bit nicer," and wound up with being "oh, let's make something that will let me carve up the track and look comfortable while doing it."

So here it is:

My goal (for now at least) was to make something incredibly special, yet not scream "I've modified this a bunch."

So the most prominent thing of course is that I have a 675R front end with Ohlins forks and brakes with a TTX Mk2 rear shock. This is why I've taken to calling it the RS, plus it makes me sound cooler than I really am.

Some detail shots:

It's a hoot on the track too. I was still getting comfortable so was barely faster on this than I am on my 250, but I'll pick up the pace I'm sure!

My attempt at a complete mod list...

Performance
- Daytona 675R Front End Conversion, Includes:
-- Ohlins NIX30 Forks
-- Brembo Monobloc Calipers
-- Custom Machined Lower Triple Tree
-- 675R ABS Sensor
-- Titanium Caliper Bolts
- Ohlins TTX Mk2 Rear Shock
- Brembo RCS Master Cylinder
- Harris Performance Brembo RCS-Style Clutch Perch
- Triumph 1050 Throttle Tube
- Triumph Quickshifter
- SC Project Exhaust

Protection
- Triumph Frame Sliders
- Triumph Front Axle Sliders
- R&G Racing Carbon Fiber Tank Sliders
- GB Racing Engine Covers

Bling
- Rizoma Next Front Brake Reservoir and Mount
- TripleTek Fender Eliminator
- Triumph LED Signals (w/ ELFR-1 Relay)

Street-ability
- FAR Viper Bar-End Mirrors with Lever Guard
- Givi Tank Bag Mount
- Biker Pro Ignition-Wired Dashcam
- CarbonFBR Extended Rear Fender
- Sargent Seat

See less See more
#3 ·
Careful not to melt your headlights taping them up like that.
In case you're not joking... Yeah, that happened, haha. Got some new headlights and learned a lesson since then.

Reactions: Grazzo
#5 ·
Awesome work.

Some good ideas there for my 2012. All said, mine didn't melt and I used foil and tape over it, but won't take that chance again based on reports on this forum.
I confiscated some crown royal bags and will use them next time. Should be a hit.

:nerd2:

#6 ·
Some good ideas there for my 2012. All said, mine didn't melt and I used foil and tape over it, but won't take that chance again based on reports on this forum.
I confiscated some crown royal bags and will use them next time. Should be a hit.

:nerd2:
Why not just take them off? It only takes a couple of minutes, and it's one less thing to worry about replacing if you have a wreck. Plus, it looks cool.

#8 ·
Very nice! I just picked up a '16 Streety R and it's going to be my sportbiking/trackday toy. I'm interested in your impressions on the mirror kits. How easy is it to remove the mirrors for track duty? How well are they holding position when in use on the street? How's the visibility through them? And, where did you get them?

#9 ·
I got them from a company named Moto Ferri in Italy, I had to send them an email for a shipping quote though and just paid them through Paypal.

LOVE the mirrors though. They hold their position perfectly on the street and are really easy to adjust. I'm REALLY happy with the visibility. To remove the mirrors for track duty it's just one bolt per mirror, takes just a few seconds.

#12 ·
#14 ·
Hey thats a nice job on the front-end conversion! I picked up a 675R fork front end with the intention of swapping out the non-adjustables on my 2010 Street Triple.

I'm curious who/what/where you got the bottom triple machined? I figure it needs to be machined out 1mm to accommodate the thicker tubes.. is what what you did? What did it run you?

And what did you do regarding the brake lines? I'd be curious on the lengths you got, since obviously the 675R lines are going to be too short.

(Yeah, this is gonna save me a lot of guesswork!) Yayyy. Thanks a bunch in advance.

#15 ·
The lower triple clamp was machined by a friend-of-a-friend who was referred to as the best machinist at GE Aviation. He charged me $150 and basically said it was way harder than expected so he wouldn't do it again, haha. I believe it was because he actually added incredibly even "ridges" on the inside of the clamp like the OEM finish, it looked fricken flawless though:

As for brake lines, we got lucky on that. The stock Street Triple brake lines work. Because of the ABS routing, the lengths are perfect, what I wasn't sure about actually was whether or not the angle of the lines would be good, but they fit!

#16 · (Edited)

My attempt at a complete mod list...

Performance
- Daytona 675R Front End Conversion, Includes:
-- Ohlins NIX30 Forks
--
Brembo Monobloc Calipers
--
Custom Machined Lower Triple Tree
-- 675R ABS Sensor

-- Titanium Caliper Bolts
- Ohlins TTX Mk2 Rear Shock
- Brembo RCS Master Cylinder
-
Harris Performance Brembo RCS-Style Clutch Perch
- Triumph 1050 Throttle Tube
- Triumph Quickshifter
- SC Project Exhaust
Hi Knolly,

FOA thanks for the inspiration :)
I'm planning to do the same D675R front end mod on my ST '15 (standard) and have a few Qs for you.

1) You didn't mention which brake lines you used. Did you use the ST's stock brakelines ? Do they fit the Brembo monobloc calipers?
I'm under the impression that the ST brake lines are not compatible with the Brembos so am confused. I'm planning to get the M4 calipers to go with the RCS 19 M/C BTW.

2) So you managed to get the ABS work right?
In your photo above looks like the ABS sensor wasn't mounted on the caliper. Then noticed that you listed 675R sensor in the parts.
I checked Triumph parts and seems like the 90 degree ABS sensor has the same part number T2021495 for both ST/STR and Daytona. The 675R sensor that you listed is the stock part or not?

Apparently the wet ABS modulator differs between ST/STR and Daytona 675 though. But it's really expensive (The list price is 1424USD )... and if a Daytona 675 ABS modulator is needed in order to make the ABS work properly then guess I can't do the front end mod.

So you simply used your STR's ABS sensor and it worked or is there something else that I need to be aware of ?

Please tell me what do I need to get the ABS work properly with the Brembo monoblocs.

Also any other input/ advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

#17 ·
Good catch! The track photos were while I was still waiting on the right ABS part. If you check the other photos, the sensor is mounted up. You need the 675R ABS sensor for the front and it plugs right into the Striple harness. I've tested it out and it completely works as intended.

The stock Street Triple brake lines work with the Brembo calipers due to the location of the ABS unit, very handy!

Also if you don't have any of the parts for the conversion yet, shoot me a PM, I might be able to help you out.

#24 ·
Agreed. Torn between hating how huge it is and wanting my neighbors to not hate me. Nearly every exhaust I can find for the H2 is basically a straight pipe.

Supposedly the Fresco exhaust meets Euro standards so it shouldn't be too loud, but I'm hoping someone else will try it out first:

Although to some degree the amount of detail put into the stock exhaust has grown on me. I HIGHLY suspect that this is a case of Stockholm Syndrome though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.