Triumph 675 Forums banner

GoPro Hero3

11K views 96 replies 36 participants last post by  !!675R!! 
#1 · (Edited)
Looks like everyone needs to add something else to their Christmas list, GoPro has done it again, they just came out with a newer, thinner, lighter, better quality camera

It will come in 3 models

White (which is base) - 199
Silver (that will have alittle better quality than the white) - 299
Black (which will be the Pro edition that will offer movie quality) - 399

Release Date: Oct 22

http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras

Here is CNet overview

http://m.cnet.com/news/tiny-gopro-hero-3-black-edition-captures-4k-video/57533878

So unless the Hero2 goes down under 150 I would wait til Hero3

#2 ·
I think gopro, apple, and triumph should go out on a date.....:whistle: Lets make a new model every 6 months and then make 12 different versions of each model and call them different names even though they are basically the same shit.......Just put it all into one fucking camera jesus.....

#6 ·
Damn it, I just bought the Liquid Image over the Hero 2. This might have been the way to go though. Oh well, at least I didn't spend $400 on it.

#35 ·
The white version records at the same spec as Hero HD, Silver=Hero2 and Black is the new top of the line.
Is that accurate? If you didn't care about the WiFi, wouldn't you be better off getting the Hero2 for $199 (I know it's slightly larger) instead of getting the Hero3 White at the same price, paying $299 for the Hero3 Silver?

I'm new to the GoPro market but wife and son are shopping for me for Christmas. I may need to steer them in the right direction.- I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to load up on more than I need.:whistle:

#15 ·
The reason why they have to keep releasing new better models is to stay on top of the business. The market is being flooded with the latest greatest action cameras. GoPro is the standard and as these other companies release products to compete with GoPro, GoPro has to stay a step ahead or risk losing marketshare.

#22 ·
I have had my Hero2 for a while now and it gets amazing footage, I can't justify spending another 400.00 for a Hero3. Yea the features are better but not good enough to spend 400.00 on one when after those come out you could get a Hero2 for much cheaper especially used.

I guess it depends on what intentions you have for it but I will say if you get the proper video editing software combined with the Hero2 you can put out some great footage!

The biggest issue I have seen with people uploading videos is after they render or save the video the quality lessens because the software they used decreased the quality! Hence even with a better camera you will still have the same problem, it will just be slightly less shitty until you get the correct software lol.

I spent like 60.00 for adobe premier 10 at best buy and my videos always come out 10x better then others who just upload their video.

60.00 is a lot cheaper then 400.00 :)

#39 ·
IThe biggest issue I have seen with people uploading videos is after they render or save the video the quality lessens because the software they used decreased the quality! Hence even with a better camera you will still have the same problem, it will just be slightly less shitty until you get the correct software lol.

I spent like 60.00 for adobe premier 10 at best buy and my videos always come out 10x better then others who just upload their video.

60.00 is a lot cheaper then 400.00 :)
Thanks for the tip on the software. For the few occasions I might need video, I'll just get the Hero2 and spend $60 for some decent software after watching the vid you posted. Very sharp.
:thumbup:

#23 ·
Id bet on the Hero 2 at $150 for black Friday as sellers try an get rid of the old stock. Last year the original was at $100 for BF

#24 ·
Here is a video I did.....please excuse the squidness....this was very early in my riding so my turn in points are too early, ect yata yata just watch the video in HD lol...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xosi68Kdsq8"]Twisty 60 - YouTube[/nomedia]

#25 ·
Ah f*ck.

Wonder how soon TJ will have these in stock. I've been holding off on buying the hero 2 becausei had a feeling something else was coming out.

Ill actually be looking for some hero 2's on clearance. But might have to get this hero3.

#27 ·
Folks - don't forget GoPro is NOTORIOUS for advertising features that they build in but are not operational until later in the game. For those of us that have the Hero2, we still don't have the 720p/Medium mode that is still advertised. And it took what.... almost a year for them to roll out the wi-fi backpack chit.
No doubt the Hero3 is an improvement on an already market-superior product, I just would not want to rush right out and get the new model until you can verify that ALL the advertised features really work as advertised, lol.

#29 ·
As the fps keep going up...so do the file sizes of our videos.

after a day of taking video with multiple batteries, it takes a long time to transfer all the video to the computer. would it kill them to offer usb 3.0 on their cameras so that we could transfer the files quicker.

#42 ·
I have 3 gopro's 1 hd2 and 2 hd's. I won't buy another one until the battery in time lapsed mode lasts a whole day. All they need to do is make it go into sleep mode in between pics. Just shy of 3 hours is a little to short to do nice time lapsed sequences.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#43 ·
I just spent the week at SEMA and got to talk with and handle a new Hero 3 and all I can say is wow it's soo damn small and light I had my Hero 1 with LCD backpack on and held the Hero 3 with touchscreen LCD backpack in other hand and its ridiculous how much lighter and smaller it is, I'm definitely going to buy a black because you get a free remote but if you already have a remote just buy Silver and on a plus side I have a $100 off coupon from them

#44 ·
The silver doesn't have all the features of the black model. The silver is basically a HD2, but smaller. The black adds all the new modes (like 60fps in 1080p, and 120fps in 720p).

That being said, my HD3 Silver should be arriving on Wednesday, and I'll have all of next week testing it out while diving in Grand Cayman. Already fabbed up some mounts.

Kind of hard to see, but there's a pvc pipe with holes drilled in it with a tripod mount on the end, and the second mount is 2 handles with a bar between. I need to pick up a second tripod mount to attach there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.