Team PYR Triumph - British Supersport Championship - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
675's racing in BSB/BSS Daytona 675 BSB/BSS racing news

post #31 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 03:24
Sarchi
T675.net Founding Father...

Send a message via MSN to Sarchi Send a message via Skype™ to Sarchi
Maybe it also plays to the whole David vs Goliath ethos of the 675, having the racers out on their own with no support. I mean, if these guys start winning races this year against the Japanese giants, it'll really be something amazing, no?

It's also become clear that Triumph is a very well-run company... the fact they're trying to avoid the ego trap of a big racing program says something about the kind of discipline that Bloor runs the company with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 14:39
DAYTONA.6MAN

Can't help thinking they (Triumph) have missed a great opportunity to raise their profile. Anyone who watched (or went to) the last BSB round in '04 & witnessed Craig Jones taking first place in the BSS race will understand the sort of coverage this gets. Most people who buy this class of bike are into the racing & want their steed to be seen as competitive. If Triumph don't want the 675 to be compared to the 600's I wonder why they have made what appears to be such a blinding track bike. You think of the sort of development that has gone into it for example, hiring such riders as Paul Young. You don't do that unless there is some sort of track ambition. Maybe their PR man wasn't doing his job or otherwise he would have attracted a major sponsor for an attack on the BSS title. Or maybe he was so incensed about the decision not to go racing he left the company. Eh, Mr. Clifford
post #33 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 15:40
Gavin

Send a message via MSN to Gavin
but paul young and some others are doing it anyway.........

post #34 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 16:37
Will

I figure that Triumph did the racing thing, learned a whole lot, and applied a fair amount of that to this bike. If it truly is what it is made out to be, privateers like Paul Young can compete with factory teams fairly well. If privateers start turning up on the podium on 675s, there will be a whole lot more of them on the grid, and they will attract sponsors. It is easy for HM Plant to sponsor a Honda, since they will get press coverage when their bike does well. They know it will do well before they sign the deal. Sponsors spend the money to get something in return, so it isn't all that surprising to see Triumph riders struggling to find sponsorship money. Triumph has a very short recent history in competition, and it is a fairly choppy and limited history at that.

If it runs right, I didn't tune it.
post #35 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 16:41
Scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Triumph has a very short recent history in competition, and it is a fairly choppy and limited history at that.
Time for that to change ..................
post #36 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 16:43
Sarchi
T675.net Founding Father...

Send a message via MSN to Sarchi Send a message via Skype™ to Sarchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYTONA.6MAN
Can't help thinking they (Triumph) have missed a great opportunity to raise their profile. Anyone who watched (or went to) the last BSB round in '04 & witnessed Craig Jones taking first place in the BSS race will understand the sort of coverage this gets. Most people who buy this class of bike are into the racing & want their steed to be seen as competitive. If Triumph don't want the 675 to be compared to the 600's I wonder why they have made what appears to be such a blinding track bike. You think of the sort of development that has gone into it for example, hiring such riders as Paul Young. You don't do that unless there is some sort of track ambition. Maybe their PR man wasn't doing his job or otherwise he would have attracted a major sponsor for an attack on the BSS title. Or maybe he was so incensed about the decision not to go racing he left the company. Eh, Mr. Clifford
I'm not making excuses for Triumph.... I'm sure they'll be watching things with keen interest, to see how competitive the 675 can be. Again, it's just good business sense not to be lured into a big open money pit -- the profits now showing (only since '05) can be plowed back into R&D and safeguarding the future of the company. Much as everyone gets excited about racing, Triumph also have 600 people's employment to be concerned with.

As for Ross Clifford, who knows! I wish I knew what happened there.

post #37 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 16:48
Scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarchi
I'm not making excuses for Triumph.... I'm sure they'll be watching things with keen interest, to see how competitive the 675 can be. Again, it's just good business sense not to be lured into a big open money pit -- the profits now showing (only since '05) can be plowed back into R&D and safeguarding the future of the company. Much as everyone gets excited about racing, Triumph also have 600 people's employment to be concerned with.
Triumph currently employ 980 people worldwide

Sometimes choices have to be made - money into racing or R&D ???
post #38 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 17:48
Will

Profits? I would be surprised if Triumph ever showed very much profit as long as John Bloor owns 100% of it. He is building capital, not cash flow, so there is no reason for him to show a taxable profit. If there is a big operating profit that gets plowed back into product development, then it is very healthy.

If it runs right, I didn't tune it.
post #39 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 17:54
Quickshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYTONA.6MAN
A good theory I guess, I don't think you should be so hard on Triumph, their action or lack of it in this case may seem strange but they know what their doing.

Triumph Triple Challenge & T3 Racing. Home of the 675. www.triumphtriplechallenge.com & www.t3-racing.co.uk.

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."
post #40 of 129 Old 02-02-06, 18:10
kneepuck

I think they know their market. Racing is a huge money pit that has put more than one company in financial problems. I believe that they have made a bike that will compete very well in the middleweight circuits. However, if the bike dominates, each race organization will update its rules to exclude the Daytona. This is just fact. A race series that is not competative is just not interesting.

If you don't smile every time you climb aboard your 675, fire it up, and chuck it into a corner, donít bother checking your pulse. Youíre already dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement