The 2016 FORUM Member Race Thread - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General Racing Discussions Discussion area for any non 675 related racing (Moto GP, World Superbike, etc) & general race set up / questions.

post #31 of 135 Old 03-04-16, 22:33 Thread Starter
aftriathlete
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Well it seems I spoke too soon -- got an email today that I was picked for the Racing Program! It didn't provide a ton of info, but it did say that any orders for parts or bikes will be directly through the program director. Wondering what's qualifies as "Triumph parts" -- I kinda assume all the race kit parts are included, but I don't know. Anyone here that was involved in this program last year? Is everything on the T3 Racing site fair game? My bike is in good shape, but if anything I could use a slipper -- I can think of one turn in particular on my home track where I'm hard on the brakes in 2nd gear and the engine braking is really dragging the rear.

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
The Following User Says Thank You to aftriathlete For This Useful Post:
Shamrock (03-07-16)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 135 Old 03-07-16, 01:01
Shamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavrdr View Post
Battling with 2 140+whp R6 superbikes and Stefano Mesa. 6 races entered, 5 podiums and a fourth.

http://youtu.be/B60E3Qfp6YQ
Thanks Alan! I subscribed, and am watching all the vids. Entertainment value is high.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shamrock For This Useful Post:
wavrdr (03-07-16)
post #33 of 135 Old 03-09-16, 15:28
HoneyBadger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
What's your street bike? You mentioned it's bigger than the Daytona?
2013 GSXR1000, the Commemorative Edition they came out with. Sad thing was when I went to the BMW test day last year I was more comfortable in less than 2 sessions on that bike than I was on my bike I've been riding for over 40K miles...the newest liter bikes really are a step up....hoping I can ride the wheels off the Daytona this year so I can justify the new ZX10R for next year

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
post #34 of 135 Old 03-09-16, 16:42 Thread Starter
aftriathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
2013 GSXR1000, the Commemorative Edition they came out with. Sad thing was when I went to the BMW test day last year I was more comfortable in less than 2 sessions on that bike than I was on my bike I've been riding for over 40K miles...the newest liter bikes really are a step up....hoping I can ride the wheels off the Daytona this year so I can justify the new ZX10R for next year
I hear ya man. I'm pretty confident I want to stay on middleweight bikes for the foreseeable future -- I like the flexibility it offers for what races I run. But the new R1s and the new ZX-10s are pretty amazing.

I wish I could put a 13+ engine easily in my 2010, I think I would be much more inclined to stay on this bike after this season if that were possible. I'm sure anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, but the little I've seen is that it would NOT be an easy upgrade.

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999

Last edited by aftriathlete; 03-10-16 at 11:34.
post #35 of 135 Old 03-09-16, 16:48
HoneyBadger

Garage
Quote:
I hear ya woman. I'm pretty confident I want to stay on middleweight bikes for the foreseeable future -- I like the flexibility it offers for what races I run. But the new R1s and the new ZX-10s are pretty amazing.
FTFY

If I can make those 5 seconds disappear this year, I want to step to the heavies - but I definitely want one of the newer ones, the ZX and the bimmer fit me the best, and I still really miss my Gen1 ZX10R.

In comparison the GSXR was WAY more work - felt like I was trying to slow a freight train compared to a compact car LOL...that and a lot more work to make it turn in - the Daytona loves it, the GSXR needs to be talked into it LOL.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to HoneyBadger For This Useful Post:
aftriathlete (03-09-16)
post #36 of 135 Old 03-09-16, 23:13
Schwags13

@aftriathlete - Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on here much. I was apart of the program last year as well. You are entitled to 50% off of genuine Triumph Race parts, not over the counter aftermarket parts. They will have a list of parts available to you through their website you can login to. I also just call them directly to inquire about the parts and prices. Congrats man!
The Following User Says Thank You to Schwags13 For This Useful Post:
aftriathlete (03-10-16)
post #37 of 135 Old 03-10-16, 11:58 Thread Starter
aftriathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwags13 View Post
@aftriathlete - Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on here much. I was apart of the program last year as well. You are entitled to 50% off of genuine Triumph Race parts, not over the counter aftermarket parts. They will have a list of parts available to you through their website you can login to. I also just call them directly to inquire about the parts and prices. Congrats man!
Cool man, thanks for the info. They haven't pushed out a ton of info yet, and I'll be racing my opening round this weekend without any of the patches and stickers they should be sending me. But hopefully they do just post a website of all the race kit parts with prices for the people on the program. I think there's a strong chance now that I have my chassis sorted out so nicely that I will wind up swapping a 13+ engine in later this year, so I would probably pick up all the kit parts for 13+ engines with the 50% discount and then build a monster 2nd-gen/3rd-gen beast. I think that might be the easiest way to do the engine swap anyways -- find a slick 13+ engine on Ebay with a radiator and airbox and throttle bodies, and then just buy the kit ECM and harness and engine internals to make it work (minus the alternator kit, I can't imagine that thing being worth over $2K to me).

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
post #38 of 135 Old 03-14-16, 10:29
wavrdr

Quote:
Cool man, thanks for the info. They haven't pushed out a ton of info yet, and I'll be racing my opening round this weekend without any of the patches and stickers they should be sending me. But hopefully they do just post a website of all the race kit parts with prices for the people on the program. I think there's a strong chance now that I have my chassis sorted out so nicely that I will wind up swapping a 13+ engine in later this year, so I would probably pick up all the kit parts for 13+ engines with the 50% discount and then build a monster 2nd-gen/3rd-gen beast. I think that might be the easiest way to do the engine swap anyways -- find a slick 13+ engine on Ebay with a radiator and airbox and throttle bodies, and then just buy the kit ECM and harness and engine internals to make it work (minus the alternator kit, I can't imagine that thing being worth over $2K to me).
Havin raced all three gens, I prefer the 09-12 engine the best. IMO, by reducing the stroke and increasing the bore on the 13+, the new engine has lost some of the "robust" feeling the previous gen had. If I were you, I'd have the top and bottom end refreshed, mill the head, install a kit gasket/valve springs and degree the cams. Then, tune for race gas and you will be good.

Just my $.02......

CCS Florida expert #52

Sidi boots-Forcefield Armor-Amsoil
post #39 of 135 Old 03-14-16, 12:27 Thread Starter
aftriathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavrdr View Post
Havin raced all three gens, I prefer the 09-12 engine the best. IMO, by reducing the stroke and increasing the bore on the 13+, the new engine has lost some of the "robust" feeling the previous gen had. If I were you, I'd have the top and bottom end refreshed, mill the head, install a kit gasket/valve springs and degree the cams. Then, tune for race gas and you will be good.

Just my $.02......
So after this weekend, I'm having some second thoughts that are right in line with what you're saying here -- with the access I have now to the race kit parts at half price, I'm guessing it would be cheaper to just do a Supersport build on my current engine with all the kit parts. I'll be the first to say that I'm a pay a race shop to do my work kind of guy. I'm comfortable with basics like changing oil, pulling my wheels/tires off, bleeding brakes, and normal track weekend type ops, but for anything beyond that I pay an expert. So I'm guessing that finding a good 13+ engine and getting it shipped to me, having my shop swap it in, and work out all the issues that come along with it is going to come in way more expensive than just building my current engine up. It's not a very near term thing for me to worry about considering my race season has started now and I have another race in 3 weeks, but I'll be thinking about it as the season progresses.

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
post #40 of 135 Old 03-14-16, 12:57
CloudInsurance

I just watched the video posted earlier in the thread. I must move at a turtles pace compared to you guys. Very impressive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement