The 2016 FORUM Member Race Thread - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General Racing Discussions Discussion area for any non 675 related racing (Moto GP, World Superbike, etc) & general race set up / questions.

post #21 of 135 Old 03-02-16, 16:37
wavrdr

Battling with 2 140+whp R6 superbikes and Stefano Mesa. 6 races entered, 5 podiums and a fourth.

http://youtu.be/B60E3Qfp6YQ

CCS Florida expert #52

Sidi boots-Forcefield Armor-Amsoil
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wavrdr For This Useful Post:
aftriathlete (03-02-16), HoneyBadger (03-02-16), Shamrock (03-02-16), TwoWheeledWonder (03-02-16)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 135 Old 03-02-16, 16:51
HoneyBadger

Garage
First trackday of the year was - okay. I had some great students, and it was cool to see everyone again, but due to ownership changes and their possible staff changes that was "announced" less than 48 hours before the event, there was a definite air of "meh" overhanging all of us. I don't think customers could have picked up on it, but we sure could.

The street bike was fine, made coaching C group a hell of a lot easier, but I only got a few sessions all weekend to try to pick up anything resembling speed. Between squirmy street tires, "way over due for service" suspension (scheduled, but not done yet), not wanting to toss my commuter, and all on a bone stock bike, my speed was about 11 seconds off my race pace....but I still managed to have some fun, realized the bigger bike is a LOT more work (physically speaking) than the littler bike, especially on a course like Sonoma, and kept the shiny side up.

Since I was going slow and basically not carrying any corner speed I just sat and worked on nailing some lines in a couple corners I struggle with at that track. Felt like I managed to get the one corner really dialed in, the other got better but not great yet.

Looking forward to getting the race beast back together, although I may begin to haul the street bike up just for coaching purposes! Toss a set of Pirelli supercorsa DOTs on there once the rainy season ends...although I know I'll be cursing the lack of a quick shifter with stock throttle anytime I'm really trying to push it a bit LOL!

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
post #23 of 135 Old 03-02-16, 17:21
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

God I still have a month till the first trackday... I really can't wait to move out of the midwest haha

Im still waiting on my body to come back from painting anyways.

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
post #24 of 135 Old 03-02-16, 17:29
HoneyBadger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
God I still have a month till the first trackday... I really can't wait to move out of the midwest haha

LOL, my race bodywork and rims are all at the painters - should be done this week though, then it's time to try to get stickers on their straight (last year mine were kind of crooked LOL).

So glad to be FROM the midwest - it had it's charms, but I don't miss it!

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
post #25 of 135 Old 03-02-16, 18:11
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
LOL, my race bodywork and rims are all at the painters - should be done this week though, then it's time to try to get stickers on their straight (last year mine were kind of crooked LOL).

So glad to be FROM the midwest - it had it's charms, but I don't miss it!
Yeah mine will probably be done this week.

Also I am planning on moving out west at the end of this year.

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
post #26 of 135 Old 03-02-16, 21:26 Thread Starter
aftriathlete
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
First trackday of the year was - okay. I had some great students, and it was cool to see everyone again, but due to ownership changes and their possible staff changes that was "announced" less than 48 hours before the event, there was a definite air of "meh" overhanging all of us. I don't think customers could have picked up on it, but we sure could.

The street bike was fine, made coaching C group a hell of a lot easier, but I only got a few sessions all weekend to try to pick up anything resembling speed. Between squirmy street tires, "way over due for service" suspension (scheduled, but not done yet), not wanting to toss my commuter, and all on a bone stock bike, my speed was about 11 seconds off my race pace....but I still managed to have some fun, realized the bigger bike is a LOT more work (physically speaking) than the littler bike, especially on a course like Sonoma, and kept the shiny side up.

Since I was going slow and basically not carrying any corner speed I just sat and worked on nailing some lines in a couple corners I struggle with at that track. Felt like I managed to get the one corner really dialed in, the other got better but not great yet.

Looking forward to getting the race beast back together, although I may begin to haul the street bike up just for coaching purposes! Toss a set of Pirelli supercorsa DOTs on there once the rainy season ends...although I know I'll be cursing the lack of a quick shifter with stock throttle anytime I'm really trying to push it a bit LOL!
What's your street bike? You mentioned it's bigger than the Daytona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post

I was born and raised in the Chicago area, and my whole family still lives there. Lemme tell ya, it's freakin AWESOME living in the southwest. Fly south for the winter, even if just for a weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavrdr View Post
Battling with 2 140+whp R6 superbikes and Stefano Mesa. 6 races entered, 5 podiums and a fourth.

http://youtu.be/B60E3Qfp6YQ
Woo buddy, there's a lot of big fast straights on that track! Good stuff! What are you riding? A Superstock build or a Superbike?

I'm glad to see a few more regulars starting to check in here. It should start getting hot and heavy in the next couple weeks as a lot more peoples' race seasons are starting to pick up (those south of the mason dixon line anyways ) The big opening round for me is next weekend, so I have about 10 days to wait now. Only last minute thing I'm getting done to the bike after last weekend on the track is gearing (going from 15/47 to 15/49 which should be much better for Arroyo, especially because the longest straight isn't terribly long (btw, it's already getting difficult to find gearing options for this bike -- I wound up having to go with literally the only option I could find for a 525 chain, the vortex aluminum 49T despite the fact that I don't love aluminum sprockets or Vortex stuff).

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
post #27 of 135 Old 03-02-16, 22:47
wavrdr

Supersport build(Degreed cams, head gasket, all bolt-ons and MR12) 129whp/54ft lbs.

Homestead is basically 4 straights with 14 corners worked in. I run stock gearing and ride the rev limiter in 5th going into turn 1 fwiw....

CCS Florida expert #52

post #28 of 135 Old 03-02-16, 22:55
wavrdr

Long straights? Here are some long straights for you guys! Daytona 200 warmup/practice last year....

http://youtu.be/aBpnTC8JjEs

CCS Florida expert #52

The Following User Says Thank You to wavrdr For This Useful Post:
Shamrock (03-02-16)
post #29 of 135 Old 03-03-16, 16:00
swest122

More info on the support. $125 for National club level wins.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...ying-and-wins/

Sloan West
CCS#112
Wera#112
post #30 of 135 Old 03-03-16, 21:12 Thread Starter
aftriathlete
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swest122 View Post
More info on the support. $125 for National club level wins.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...ying-and-wins/

yep, I'm certainly convinced that I'm not eligible for this now, so no longer holding my breath to hear anything positive from my application. ASMA and CVMA are definitely not national club racing organizations. Ah well, no big, the season goes on!

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement