The 2016 FORUM Member Race Thread - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General Racing Discussions Discussion area for any non 675 related racing (Moto GP, World Superbike, etc) & general race set up / questions.

post #11 of 135 Old 01-20-16, 22:49 Thread Starter
aftriathlete
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRecognizeReal View Post
Killer picture of Tyler goss on his Hustlehardracing.com Yamaha r6 from this past weeekend at Chuckwalla racing with CVMA.
This bike is bad!!!! And is soon to be sold. Hopefully it stays within the team.. Tylers a big boy and is waiting for someone to put him on a 1000 lol. You know he needs it.

Good pic -- I thought about buying from the same photographer out there, but I couldn't stomach $60 for pics that I wouldn't do anything with. Maybe post up one or two on FB, maybe put one or two on here. Ehh, just couldn't bring myself to it.

I like to think that that $60 just paid for 2 hours of open track at the famed Inde Motorsports Ranch on Feb 6th!

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 135 Old 01-23-16, 01:53 Thread Starter
aftriathlete

So psyched to test this thing out at Inde in two weeks! My triple clamps turned out awesome -- went from stock 37.5mm offset to 28mm and you literally can't tell anything's been done to them. I trusted the ESP guys when they told me they had a good machinist/welder that they trusted to do work on their own privateer race bikes, but I was a little skeptical they could make it look so clean. So I should be sitting right near 100mm of trail now, and I'm still Superstock legal(ish).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	190866  

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999

Last edited by aftriathlete; 01-23-16 at 14:14.
post #13 of 135 Old 01-30-16, 00:11
Shamrock

For anyone looking to race a Triumph this year nationally, go here to apply for "factory" discounts on bikes, and race parts!

https://fs18.formsite.com/carlama8/form110/index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Shamrock For This Useful Post:
aftriathlete (01-30-16)
post #14 of 135 Old 01-31-16, 20:31
gilly442

Awesome, thanks for that link. It will come in handy for this season of they let me on board. Time to work all the OT to make s*** happen.
post #15 of 135 Old 02-08-16, 18:51 Thread Starter
aftriathlete

I'll bump this thread up since I started it and since I can't think of anything else but racing

Got out on the track this past Saturday at Inde Motorsports Ranch (Willcox, AZ) for my last pre-season track day. Had the goal of testing out my new setup and getting comfortable with it, and I believe I did!

So first off, here's the new stuff I was testing out -- modified stock triples that were 37.5mm offset before and are now 28mm after the mod; 675R Brembo front MC; new SES steering stop; and JHS oil cooler. I was also supposed to be testing out some new CRG levers that I got from TJ, but after fussing with them for a couple hours the night before the track day, I wound up having to put my Ebay levers back on there due to the standard length CRGs being too long to fit inside my lever guards. I was bummed about that, but TJ is gonna exchange them for the shorties, no problem, so I should have that sorted by the time I get back on the track in two weeks time (2 days of on-track instruction at Arroyo, where I'll be racing this season starting next month). Coincidentally, the Ebay levers didn't give me any problems that I can contribute directly to the levers with 100% certainty, but I wasn't really thrilled with my front brake feel, it was more spongy than I'm happy with. So once I get the good CRGs on there I'll know if it's the MC or if it was just those cheap levers.

I tend to base my performance and progress off of the superbike track record for a given track -- for instance, at Chuckwalla the CCW lap record set by an AMA guy on an AMA bike is 1:46.3. At Arroyo I'll be comparing to a MotoGP rider on a borrowed ASMA Superbike, lap record is 1:05.99. So here at IMR, the lap record is a 1:46.5 set a few years back by an AMA rider on an AMA bike. With that said, I'm quite happy with the 2:02.2 that I hit towards the end of the day considering it's the first time I've ever been to this track, and my D212GPs already had a race weekend plus about 140 miles of track day use on them! And I just haven't yet been able to match my race pace and intensity on a track day -- the competition and the adrenaline really brings it out of me, not to mention I'm that much more willing in an actual race to wring the bike out a little more whereas on this track day I didn't shift above 13,000 at any point. It's worth mentioning also that I was physically completely freakin smoked by this last session of the day -- this was my 6th 30 minute session of the day, and because I'm really focusing on keeping my grip light after making my steering input, my legs were doing WAY more of the work than I'm used to. So that combined with the long sessions and lots of track time left my legs literally shaking just trying to press my gas pedal in my truck leaving the track at the end of the day!

For anyone that can make it out to IMR in Willcox, I HIGHLY recommend it -- what a fun track! 2.75 miles claimed (though my lap timer consistently showed 2.25), but it's got 21 turns, many of which are blind over the crest of hills. No kidding, there's probably 5 blind turns out here, it's got everything a track could throw at you really with a nice looong straight of just under a half mile I believe.

Anyways, I'll be sticking with the D212s until Dunlop runs out of them -- I could move up to slicks because slicks are allowed even in the Superstock races, but everything I've read says that the UK tires simply give you way more life than the US tires do. Plus at this point I'm on my 4th or 5th set, so I've gotten used to them. I haven't been confident enough to go all the way down the 17 psi hot recommendation with the rear yet though, I've been running 19 so far, but considering how slippy I was getting by the end of the day I'm definitely going to saddle up and try the lower pressure out next time to see if that affects the slipping. But honestly, these 212s slip very predictably, which tends to be the big strength of Dunlop tires I think. Steering was quite a bit slower with this new shorter offset, but I think I'm going to raise the forks from flush where they are now, maybe start with 4-5mm at first to see how that goes. The 212s are a very round profile, so they transition slower than most race tires do but I like the predictability of it. I'm learning that going fast on the track is all about confidence and predictability!

How's everyone else getting on with their race season prep?

Here's me and the crew, I'm the guy still wearing street clothes and that's my wife and kiddos (Boston Terriers) in the trailer trying to stay out of the wind!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12687825_914004742040139_6884788867146258806_n.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	192353  

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999

Last edited by aftriathlete; 02-08-16 at 18:56.
The Following User Says Thank You to aftriathlete For This Useful Post:
Shamrock (02-09-16)
post #16 of 135 Old 02-11-16, 00:00
gilly442

How long does it take for them to respond on the 2016 support?
post #17 of 135 Old 02-11-16, 16:27 Thread Starter
aftriathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly442 View Post
How long does it take for them to respond on the 2016 support?
Tomorrow is two weeks since I submitted my application, and no response yet, positive or negative. Honestly I'm not really holding my breath though that I'll get it, I understand that they would give priority to those who intend to race major/national race series, and I'm just racing locally at CVMA and ASMA. So it would just be a nice surprise if I do get picked for it.

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
post #18 of 135 Old 02-18-16, 23:47 Thread Starter
aftriathlete

Track weekend! Got the new CRG shorties from TJ put on this week, and now the front brakes feel pretty good, so this weekend will be my first good test since putting the Brembo master on. Had a strange thing this week though -- went to turn my front preload from 14 down to 12 turns, and my preload was all the way out. I honestly have no explanation for how that happened. So it's either 1) installation error, or 2) the preload adjuster is damaged, or 3) Someone at Chuckwalla last month tampered with my forks (I doubt it?). Either way, I left the forks at 14 turns at Chuck and hadn't touched them since, so I'm really at a loss. Guess I'll ride a few sessions on Saturday and then check it to see if it's still at 12 turns. Super super strange.

Anyone else getting out this weekend? I'm doing a race school at Arroyo, only 10 students total with 5 instructors (all the fast guys and the track owner are the instructors), so at least they'll show me the good lines around Arroyo.

Still no word from the Triumph Racing Program, but like I said above, not planning for that to happen anyway.

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
The Following User Says Thank You to aftriathlete For This Useful Post:
Shamrock (02-19-16)
post #19 of 135 Old 02-22-16, 13:45
HoneyBadger

Garage
Here in NorCal our track season hasn't really gotten going much yet - in fact, my first track day of the year will be this coming weekend, and I'll be on my street bike (it's first time seeing the track for more than a parade lap) since my 675 is (quite literally) spread over 3 counties right now

This past year was my first full season racing. I was making great progress at the tail end of the year, and took most of the year to finally get the bike set up to where it needed to be. Also working through a lot of confidence demons.

Bike should be good to go and happy here in a couple weeks, and I've been working on my own fitness and mental approach as well. After moving finally started getting my chunky butt to the gym like I should have done a long time ago :/

My blog (link in sig) tells the whole story if you go all the way back...I started it back when I was still relatively new to trackdays (2012) and have kept it up. House my race reports and such there too.

My goals for this year are to learn to ride the wheels off the 675. If I can drop 5 seconds a lap across the board (each track), I'll feel like I'm taking that bike to what someone with my total lack of talent can comfortably say that "you're riding the piss out of it."

2016 I plan on doing all the AFM rounds, and hoping to try to hit up some of the SoCal WERA or CVMA rounds just for some variety and to ride some different tracks again....Buttonwillow is still fairly new to me as I've only ridden it at the two race rounds last year, but I want to work on my ability to read and learn a track quickly.

This year at a few trackdays I'm going to try tracking the street bike and see how I feel on the bigger bike on the track again (my very first two trackdays were on a liter bike - my street bike at the time - then I dropped down to a smaller bike to learn on). IF I'm liking the liter bike on the track, my long term plan is to pick up one of the new ZX10Rs towards the end of the year and race that in 2017. I'm HOPING (there's a LONG ways for me to go to make this happen, but I want it...) that in 2018 I can dip my toes into MotoAmerica - probably not the full season, but at least do the local round.

I've got some serious work to put in to make any or all of that happen, but that's the mighty plan right now!

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to HoneyBadger For This Useful Post:
aftriathlete (02-22-16)
post #20 of 135 Old 02-22-16, 21:54 Thread Starter
aftriathlete

Good to see another racer check in! Sounds like you have some solid goals for this year -- if you're still at the lever where you are shooting to chop 5 seconds off a lap time, then I think you and I are probably at similar levels. I started what I would consider my season this weekend, and from before Saturday to where I hope to be running consistent lap times for a 7-lap race, it would be about a 5 second improvement. I chopped 3 seconds off already this weekend, but I have the advantage of racing all on one track this year (just alternating directions every round), so I should learn the track very well by the end of the season and maybe even more than 5 seconds is possible. To be honest with you man, I too am strongly considering a Kawi for next season, but I'm trying not to look that far ahead yet. Trying, but that's just about impossible -- their supersport bike has a hell of a lot of up sides. But I really have to just focus on getting fast on what I got, which is a very well set up, stock engined, pump gassed Daytona. I hope to see you check in after this weekend, let us know how the first weekend out for the year went! Btw, you definitely should try to make it to Chuck -- I went in January, and I will probably go to next January's round too after the Arroyo season wraps up.

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement