The 2016 FORUM Member Race Thread - Page 14 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General Racing Discussions Discussion area for any non 675 related racing (Moto GP, World Superbike, etc) & general race set up / questions.

post #131 of 136 Old 10-10-16, 12:44
Zaph

Had a fun season racing my 300. We're all done for the year up here in Wisconsin. My greatest accomplishment isn't the couple of 4th place finishes I managed to get, it's the fact that I didn't crash it or end up in the hospital at all this year.

Racing these little bikes is a lot of fun.

Photo credits: RyHNoFoto on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 136 Old 10-10-16, 12:55
HoneyBadger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Had a fun season racing my 300. We're all done for the year up here in Wisconsin. My greatest accomplishment isn't the couple of 4th place finishes I managed to get, it's the fact that I didn't crash it or end up in the hospital at all this year.

Racing these little bikes is a lot of fun.

Photo credits: RyHNoFoto on Facebook
Not crashing is great, having fun is the whole point of it - if you're not enjoying it, this sport is way to dangerous to do if you're hating it!

Congrats on a good season and feeling accomplished!

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
post #133 of 136 Old 10-10-16, 18:52
Zaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Not crashing is great, having fun is the whole point of it - if you're not enjoying it, this sport is way to dangerous to do if you're hating it!

Congrats on a good season and feeling accomplished!
With my history, accomplishment takes a different meaning. I've had a couple of nasty debilitating crashes in 2014 and 2015. Megabucks worth of hospital bills, physical therapy, rehabilitation of various limbs, 3 titanium plates and 50 screws. I was almost, but not quite, ready to give it up.

So just getting through this season was a major mental effort. My first race this season, I'm sitting on the grid and quivering and thinking oooooh fuuuuuuck! All I wanted to do was get my mojo back and not be afraid. But by the end of the season I'm sitting on the grid and thinking oh yeah, let's go!

I made it through and I feel awesome.
post #134 of 136 Old 10-10-16, 19:00
HoneyBadger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
With my history, accomplishment takes a different meaning. I've had a couple of nasty debilitating crashes in 2014 and 2015. Megabucks worth of hospital bills, physical therapy, rehabilitation of various limbs, 3 titanium plates and 50 screws. I was almost, but not quite, ready to give it up.

So just getting through this season was a major mental effort. My first race this season, I'm sitting on the grid and quivering and thinking oooooh fuuuuuuck! All I wanted to do was get my mojo back and not be afraid. But by the end of the season I'm sitting on the grid and thinking oh yeah, let's go!

I made it through and I feel awesome.
Oh, I can understand - my "big crash" wasn't quite as bad as all that, but still earned me a whirly bird ride and some permanent hardware....that was 2012, this summer was the first time I made it through that corner about as effectively as I could. I was riding and racing, but that corner in particular I would pussy-foot through. When I was finally carrying the speed I could and that elbow touched down I knew I'd finally overcome the fear.

So, I COMPLETELY understand that kind of a sense of accomplishment!

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
post #135 of 136 Old 10-27-16, 15:47
HoneyBadger

Garage
Well, the AFM season has wrapped up, and I've got my full race report up on my blog! I learned a lot over the year, made some big gains, and made a fair bit of improvement as a rider. I'm really looking forward to next year, however, and stepping up my game even more.

Hoping to hang onto my daytona and run a class or two on it just to keep my skills sharp! I'll update as the winter progresses, I've got a lot of work between now and next spring, between getting myself into some seriously good physical shape, getting the new bike, and earning the $$ for the new bike! Won't be nearly as much fun or exciting as being out there, but it's the work I need to do if I'm going to reach my goals!

AFM #302

post #136 of 136 Old 05-30-17, 10:22
mpusch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpusch View Post
Have been following this thread for a while and was looking forward to adding my contribution to it. Had my first race weekend at my "home" track at Pittsburgh International Raceway. After three years of trackdays, I felt like I was as ready as I'd ever be to dip my toes into the waters.

WERA and N2 did a combined weekend together with a trackday Friday, four hour endurance race Saturday, and sprint races on Sunday.

I ran Friday and felt really good. This was my second weekend on the SBK Pros, and I was getting more comfortable with how they feel. Previous PR was 2:05, and I brought it down to a 2:03. Nothing really notable on the day other than taking the race school through N2. They cover the bases pretty well to get you prepared, and then you have a mock race at lunch time. Although it doesn't techinically matter, I came in second out of four riders taking the school.

Saturday I joined up with a team through the WERA forums to help out in the pits for the endurance race. Helped out team DLNQNT doing everything from holding a fire extinguisher, timing, fueling, etc. Very excited to get 2nd in class and 5th overall out of 28 or so teams. Incredible event, and I'm hoping to have my own team together for it next year.

Sunday was finally time to put everything together and start racing! First practice session of the day I felt relaxed and wasn't pushing too hard. Ended up increasing my PR to a 2:02. I felt I had my head in the right place to stay within myself and not get carried away with the red mist (usually being too cautious is a trademark for me on the track).

I talked to the Pirelli rep (Colin from Shagmoto) there and he recommended that at the least I switch to an actual race front, but both would be better. I thought I was taking the "tires are cheaper than hospital bills approach" by swapping out the front, since you can usually manage the rear end. Everything was mounted and set and I went out for my first race. My goal was to finish all the races and hopefully not be in last. Unfortunately, the next thing I can remember was waking up in the hospital a couple hours later...

Second crash I've ever had, and really the first that was due to a riding error. Crashed on the second lap of my first ever race...I'm pretty embarrassed and very frustrated at the result. Fortunately, I had a GoPro running so I could at least see what I did. Crashed in a corner I've taken literally hundreds of times without a single incident. Problem was I was a bit sloppy that whole lap missing apexes and I added some throttle while adding lean angle in the corner of the crash. Obviously a big no-no. Some other people who have seen the video think that an SC1 or SC2 on the rear would have "covered" that mistake at my pace, but obviously I still just messed up.

I'm itching to get back out there as soon as I can to have a mulligan on my first race experience. Bike is in pretty good shape with mostly just consumables needing to be replaced. I had a bit more damage than the bike - mild concussion, whiplash, swollen knee, and left wrist broken in two places.

Video of the crash:
So...after my rather cruddy start to my racing career quoted above, I gave it another shot this past weekend at NJMP. This was an odd weekend for WERA, as there was an airshow going on during lunch on Saturday and Sunday. Makes it tricky for the scheduling (can't race during those couple hours), but makes it awesome to attend since the Blue Angels were there. Very cool!

Saturday was spent watching the endurance race and the Blue Angels. Not a bad way to spend a day, especially since it was my wife's first time seeing the Blue Angels perform. Here's a nice shot from The SB Image - https://www.facebook.com/TheSBimage/

Sunday was go time. It had rained overnight, and NJMP has a bit of an issue with drainage when they get a lot of rainfall. The dry was mostly dry, but there were a couple areas that had puddles that never dried up. Makes for interesting conditions, but everyone was racing the same track! I only had a couple laps in practice due to the odd scheduling, and me not realizing that there was only one practice session for each group, instead of the usual two. So I'm going into a race on a track I've only ridden once two years ago and four laps of practice. Never really set my brake markers, so for most of the day I'm just turning laps by feel (which = slow).

I made the call to use my Q3s for the first race since there was still some water and I would likely be running a relatively slow pace anyways. Most people were on race rubber still, so I guess I was just being a pansy! Felt good to be back out on the grid...

First race I got off to a pretty good jump, but gave up several positions going into T1. Ended up on the tail of one guy for two laps before making a pass on the brakes. That was about the end of the excitement for that race, other than getting my doors blown off the front-running experts on the last lap (two wave start). Honestly not quite sure where I finished (not last!) as there was apparently another 716 novice out there as well. Official results should be out soon though.

Second race was the 750 class, although most are 600s anyways. Again I had a good start, but this time I didn't give up as many spots going into T1. Fairly uneventful race overall, but began to get more comfortable with the track layout. Ended up finishing 12 out of 15.

For the third race I made the call to switch over to the slicks. I knew the limiting factor for the day was me, not the tires, but I wanted to turn some more laps and gain experience using race rubber. This was a 600 Superbike Novice class, so just 1 wave and only people in my class. Got off to a good start again and ran a good race. There was a mixup right in front of me going into T3 (caught nicely on the video). Other than that I ran by myself for a good chunk of time. As expected, I was only mildly faster on the race tires.

Overall, I'm happy with how the weekend went. My goal was to keep the bike upright and get a clean weekend under my belt, and that's what I did. I'm not really happy with my pace, and really would have liked to turn more laps, but hey, that's racing. Next event will be the WERA/N2 endurance race at Pittsburgh in July. Already have a team together, and it'll be on my bike. Really looking forward to that.

Last edited by mpusch; 05-30-17 at 10:33.
The Following User Says Thank You to mpusch For This Useful Post:
Shamrock (05-30-17)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement