Sliding front tire - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Riding Skills

Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

Old 01-02-13, 15:41   #31
sallison30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttilghman View Post
i lost it once but was able to catch it at least half a dozen times. reducing radius (stop turning so hard) and standing the bike up a hair so it can regain grip.
You are spot on. The chances are, you haven't reached the limit of grip on the front tyre. (track day rider, not Valentino Rossi) so the problem was caused by the rider, probably pushing the front in too hard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-13, 09:42   #32
kmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallison30 View Post
You are spot on. The chances are, you haven't reached the limit of grip on the front tyre. (track day rider, not Valentino Rossi) so the problem was caused by the rider, probably pushing the front in too hard.

Im confused by what you mean? If a tire is starting to slide how have you not approached the limit of grip? If you lessen your lean angle and it regains grip, then weren't you just on the edge of what your tire can do?

What do you mean pushing the front to hard also? Im not knocking you at all just want to understand what you mean as ive had front end issues myself. If you mean your in a hard lean and you are not on throttle enough or braking still (overloading the front tire) Then your tire will almost instantly tuck i would think. The only time ive ever made it out was when i was still on throttle therefore not overloading the front.

Old 01-04-13, 09:46   #33
MacaveliMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo View Post
Im confused by what you mean? If a tire is starting to slide how have you not approached the limit of grip? If you lessen your lean angle and it regains grip, then weren't you just on the edge of what your tire can do?

What do you mean pushing the front to hard also? Im not knocking you at all just want to understand what you mean as ive had front end issues myself. If you mean your in a hard lean and you are not on throttle enough or braking still (overloading the front tire) Then your tire will almost instantly tuck i would think. The only time ive ever made it out was when i was still on throttle therefore not overloading the front.
HAHA! I agree, what he said was confusing and not quite thought out, but what I believe the point was, was this: the limit of the front tire WAS reached, but not really in appropriate fashion. More like because of rider error, and incorrect riding technique. And in order for the front to regain grip, it's pretty much going to be about maintaining throttle, and letting the bike auto-correct, because it does want to. Whether you recover or not really depends on how bad it is, and how quickly you let the bike work itself out.

"I actually just have my throttle cable pulled so its
wide open even when i start the bike. balls to the
wall is how i live, screw stoplights and slow people."
- TwoWheeledWonder

Old 01-04-13, 15:01   #34
mx3TT

Sliding the front can be a little scary the first few times. I do not do it on purpose, but every once in a while I will turn in sharper and harder and it will move a little. My worst one was in the decreasing radius right at NJMP Thunderbolt. I was coming back out after a red flag and completely forgot to brake I tipped in anyway and the front slid. As it did that I pushed the bike back up onto the tire by turning the bars and pushing my body away. Here is the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRNOx99ic8

You can see at about the :50 mark where it slides. That one could have easily taken me down if I didn't react.

Other front end slides will catch themselves without you doing anything. Every situation is different and all you can hope for it that you have enough of a warning to decide which way to go.

Old 01-04-13, 18:44   #35
BMAF

Quote:
Are you refering to the front tire actually pushing while your at full lean, or are you refering to the wiggle the guy in the video is getting at 11:30 as he is getting ready to turn into the right hander off that straight?

If your talking about that wiggle or squirm then thats not front end slide. Thats just downshifting and braking to the point where your front tire and back tire are spinning at different speeds and your back tire wants to come around. This is pretty common when people are running that fast but can happen to anyone if they downshift to many gears too quickly without revmatch.

If your actually sliding your front tire then you need some better tires...haha
You are wise like a little buddha!

BMAFRacing GP Brake Res kits - CLICK HERE

Old 01-04-13, 18:55   #36
BMAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacaveliMC View Post
HAHA! I agree, what he said was confusing and not quite thought out, but what I believe the point was, was this: the limit of the front tire WAS reached, but not really in appropriate fashion. More like because of rider error, and incorrect riding technique. And in order for the front to regain grip, it's pretty much going to be about maintaining throttle, and letting the bike auto-correct, because it does want to. Whether you recover or not really depends on how bad it is, and how quickly you let the bike work itself out.

agreed! Most of the time your tires will warn you when they are at the limit. As you said there are two ways to get to your tire limit. Speed or error. One is more correctable that the other.

that's where smooth is fast comes in.

I'm still working on this theory. I like to tuck the front. Lol

Old 01-09-13, 10:56   #37
munch

How about something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lbt...e_gdata_player

Old 01-09-13, 12:18   #38
BMAF

^^^ that's called chatter. lol. I would have been like "OHHH SH!!!TTT HERE WE GOOO!"

Old 01-09-13, 12:27   #39
WiK1d

Jaslaaik, I bet his arse was chewing heaps out of his seat :P

www.bertusras.com | @bertusras
'07 Derbi GPR125 2T | '07 Triumph Daytona

Old 01-09-13, 15:27   #40
sallison30

Quote:

Yes, sorry for the confusing way I phrased that. A race rider for example can go into a corner way faster than us without sliding the front. Therefore the bike nor the tire are on the limit but Less experienced riders tend to tense up on the bar and try to force the bike into the corner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement