180 vs 190 Rear tire size? - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Tire Tech

Tire Tech For all discussions related to your Tires and what you are running.

Old 01-09-13, 12:23   #11
Triumph Race Support

When Paul Young tested the 190 rear he said it didn't suit the bike and he was slower with it on. That was a Pirelli 190 rear. I've always stuck with the 180s with me running the Pirellis or Metz but this year I have a set on Dunlop D212 GP Pros to try in a 190. Not tried em yet but the first thing I have noticed is how much taller the front is. The tyre is still a 70 profile but rubs on the mudguard (fender) and thats before its hot and expanded at speed. So I've had to ditch the front mudguard for testing in two weeks time in Spain. I'll report on the tyres when I get back.
Anyone got a quick fix for the mudguard?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-13, 12:26   #12
BMAF

With the taller rear tire raises the tail, reducing your rake and trail. That's why it seemed to "turn in" faster. Not necessarily a good thing.

Less rake and trail = less contract patch = less feeling = crash!

BMAFRacing GP Brake Res kits - CLICK HERE

Old 01-09-13, 12:31   #13
BMAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph Race Support View Post
When Paul Young tested the 190 rear he said it didn't suit the bike and he was slower with it on. That was a Pirelli 190 rear. I've always stuck with the 180s with me running the Pirellis or Metz but this year I have a set on Dunlop D212 GP Pros to try in a 190. Not tried em yet but the first thing I have noticed is how much taller the front is. The tyre is still a 70 profile but rubs on the mudguard (fender) and thats before its hot and expanded at speed. So I've had to ditch the front mudguard for testing in two weeks time in Spain. I'll report on the tyres when I get back.
Dunlop claims no expansion. I don't have any issues of rubbing when they are up to temp. It IS a squeeze with warmers. lol

Mudguard fix: You can get new bolts with finishing washers. You'll have some play like 3 or 4 mm... not to much but some. You could also try to ream the holes a little on the bottom. my .02

BMAFRacing GP Brake Res kits - CLICK HERE

Old 01-09-13, 14:47   #14
MadMel

Quote:
Ditch the little plastic fork protectors. Then you'll be able to lift the mudguard up a few mm. Sounds odd, but it worked on my bike when I got D211s and the front rubbed.

I'm super-curious about how your 190 goes in testing.

Old 01-09-13, 14:52   #15
speedfreak

Quote:
That's very interesting I will be waiting to see your review on the 190s thanks a lot for that feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 01-09-13, 14:54   #16
speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaussiegrown View Post
With the warmers just get the bigger ones, you can always use a step down with them. Who knows later on if you decided to get a bike with a 190 or more.
Well too late now I actually grabbed a set of warmers from a member here for a 180 because it was a good deal.

Old 01-09-13, 14:55   #17
speedfreak

Everywhere I go I read good reviews about Dunlops I should probably give then a try

Old 01-09-13, 16:21   #18
Marcismo55

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Everywhere I go I read good reviews about Dunlops I should probably give then a try

From what I hear they are THE DOT tire to run although I really enjoyed my Supercorsas on my Ninja in 190 size.

If I didn't already have a spare set of DOT race Supercorsas in 180 size sitting in my garage I would've purchased a set of 190's.

Old 01-10-13, 07:47   #19
Triumph Race Support

I have tried lifting the mudguard on different bolts etc and removing the guards. Still no joy. I've made a new mudguard up and drilled the holes as low as possible and it just clears but when you get any rubber or grit on the tyre as you come back into the paddock it rubs like buggery on the mudguard. I'm now making a completly new one which will be flat on the sides, brackets on the fork legs and a couple of Dzus fastners inbetween it all to hold the mudguard on. Wont have time to get it done before testing though :-(
Thank you for your inputs guys.

Old 01-10-13, 08:11   #20
Far Canal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement