Just In Need Of Some Input - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #11 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 20:26
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabird View Post
WARNING: buy the inexpensive tester. A friend of mine checked a plug by removing it from engine, and grounding to the head. When he turned the engine over compression forced gas out of the sparkplug hole onto him. The plug proved to be good, because it sparked, igniting the gas coming out of the sparkplug hole and setting my friend on fire. He was burnt pretty bad before we could get the fire extinguished. Freak accident but still. If you use this method, stand well to the side while checking to see the spark.
That is absolutely a possibility. With the tank removed, and a few good cranks before the test should help keep the danger of fire down. The most deadly possibility of testing this way is not fire, but the possible shock. Touching the metal part of the plug, while touching the grounded frame could stop your heart. Don't do that, it hurts. If you do it the cheap way (testers are like $9 though) only touch the insulated plug holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 12-29-12, 00:36 Thread Starter
Renzr
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabird View Post
WARNING: buy the inexpensive tester. A friend of mine checked a plug by removing it from engine, and grounding to the head. When he turned the engine over compression forced gas out of the sparkplug hole onto him. The plug proved to be good, because it sparked, igniting the gas coming out of the sparkplug hole and setting my friend on fire. He was burnt pretty bad before we could get the fire extinguished. Freak accident but still. If you use this method, stand well to the side while checking to see the spark.
Oh snap...will definitely get a tester lol.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-29-12, 01:09
TRMN8TR

Haha yes there is some very high voltage there. Even with such a short pulse, under the right conditions it can really zap you.

Get a tester, it's worth the $9.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-29-12, 05:32
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

If you had removed the fuel tank before the non starting happened it may be you just trapped the fuel hose when replacing the fuel tank and thus preventing the fuel to get to the motor. You can't see if it's trapped once you lift the fuel tank, but usually just lifting the tank and moving the hose around and refitting the tank cures the problem.

Had you done any work on the bike immediately before the problem started?

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos
post #15 of 18 Old 12-29-12, 22:54 Thread Starter
Renzr

No, not when the first time it happened. This time however, I had to replace the clutch gasket after I opened the wrong side. But that's about it.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-03-13, 16:42 Thread Starter
Renzr

Well, cleaned my air filter and replaced all three spark plugs with new factory ones, and still no start.

I think I'll just have to get this towed over to the dealer and have them take a look at it.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-22-13, 00:43
Yiemchun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzr View Post
Well, cleaned my air filter and replaced all three spark plugs with new factory ones, and still no start.

I think I'll just have to get this towed over to the dealer and have them take a look at it.
Well you said you were going to buy the tester and test each plug...Did you do that yet?
post #18 of 18 Old 01-31-13, 08:58 Thread Starter
Renzr

I did, all plugs were good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement