Cold gas = more power? - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 12-28-12, 16:58   #21
daVogel [ger]

Cooler gas helps to keep a lower temperature in the cylinder head.I donīt know exact values but it has to be a pretty smal benefit.
A much bigger benefit would be injecting more fuel than necessery at 0% throttle (e.g. at braking). It helps to cool the cylinder due to atomizing of a liquid extracts heat from the envrironment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-12, 15:59   #22
tasty danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroking339 View Post
air is denser and less humid at lower temp --> more power
Yes, but this discussion is about gas.

03 Aprilia Tuono; mucho carbon, Ohlins, this winter: big throttle bodies/cams/2-2 exhaust.

Old 01-02-13, 14:53   #23
khr

I can't speak to the colder = more power conversation but I just came across this interesting bit of news from a blog written by Kevin Cameron:

"We are lucky to get time with experienced engineers Jeremy Burgess and Tom Houseworth. Burgess mentions in passing “the 20 large freezers that the teams have to carry with them.” They are to chill the fuel, shrinking it so that more will fit into the 21-liter tank volume each prototype bike is allowed. Hydrocarbons shrink at a rate of about one cc per liter, per degree Centigrade, so cooling the fuel from room temperature to the freezing point of water lets a team put 440 extra cc of fuel into the tank."

Link to complete article: http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/29...kevin-cameron/

Old 01-02-13, 15:43   #24
1 riktig svensk
BOTM Winner

Send a message via MSN to 1 riktig svensk

It's the colder air...denser, more oxygen. Look at cars being dynoed in 100F weather...compared to 50F...

My Gallery

Find me on Facebook!

Old 01-02-13, 15:44   #25
KRoweMCD

Default Cold air please.

I agree with other saying about cooler air offering more power as it is denser therefore you increase volumetric efficiency. Basically the amount that you can fill up the cylinder with ignitable fuel/air before compression/power strokes.
I always thought that colder fuel would offer the same but from what some have said it seems that warmer is better? I did read up a while ago that GP teams freeze their fuel in some cases for longer tracks especially so that can have it extremely cold when they go to fill up their fuel tanks, as it allows them to put more fuel in initially as it has contracted. I can't remember what bike mag I read that in but it did sound rather extreme...

Old 01-02-13, 15:45   #26
KRoweMCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRoweMCD View Post
I agree with other saying about cooler air offering more power as it is denser therefore you increase volumetric efficiency. Basically the amount that you can fill up the cylinder with ignitable fuel/air before compression/power strokes.
I always thought that colder fuel would offer the same but from what some have said it seems that warmer is better? I did read up a while ago that GP teams freeze their fuel in some cases for longer tracks especially so that can have it extremely cold when they go to fill up their fuel tanks, as it allows them to put more fuel in initially as it has contracted. I can't remember what bike mag I read that in but it did sound rather extreme...
Just seen the reply above. Kevin Cameron. There we go ;)

Old 01-02-13, 17:13   #27
armarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by astat4 View Post
So I was at work and its like.... 43 degrees turned my bike on to warm it up. Warmed it up nd took off, so when I go WOT the bike pulled like a mofo.! Was it the cold air its sucking in cause I know motors work better with cold air yeah. But what about fuel? Does it make difference if the gas was cold cause I could feel my tank freezing on my legs..
I also have a Triumph car, which cools its fuel when the air conditioner is on by using fuel line coiled around the cold piping to the car cabin.
hmmm... its probably trying to stop the fuel vaporizing before it hits the carburetors, but it may also replenish some of the horsepower that the air-con takes away.

Cold fuel is good for horsepower but because it atomizes poorly, it could mean worse economy.
Cold air is denser so there's more air getting in, which also makes the bike's ecu put more fuel in.

that's my take on it...

Old 01-02-13, 22:12   #28
karlInSanDiego

Trying to imagine which car you have that's sporting working A/C. TR8?

Old 01-11-13, 00:11   #29
purpletriumph

Yes cold fuel does make a difference....i used to tune cars and we have fuel coolers were you run a line through a cylinder and fill it up with dry ice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement