Could I be a Daytona man? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 12-18-12, 00:34   #1
Zen

Default Could I be a Daytona man?

I have so far 1000 miles on my 2012 STR(Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1355808632.133830.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	34462)

I've been on this side of the forum a lot lately fellas...anyone relate? I feel like the Daytona would be more responsive. I could start buying mods for my streety but, I dont know. I'm a commuter, and I feel like my daily ride can use a little spunk.

Update: what am I saying...

Last edited by Zen; 12-18-12 at 02:02.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-12, 07:51   #2
Jstu202
John the Jersey Admin

CCS Expert # 900 STT - Advanced TPM - Advanced NESBA - Advanced TTD - Advanced
Spammer Kill Count - 215 "Piranha Gun! Oh Yeaaa!!"
Ridersdiscount
- BridgewaterAcura - VIP Honda
"Death smiles at us all, All a man can do is smile back."

Old 12-18-12, 08:10   #3
Disrupt

Your STR can be made to be a more fun (Sprockets, chain, slip-on, filter), but dislike the daytona for commuting. In crazy traffic situations I kinda hate it, but even than its enjoyable. You will get mixed responses, but go try it out yourself. You will enjoy the initial ride, but wont get a good idea unless you take it for a long ride.

Old 12-18-12, 10:31   #4
Neanderthal

I've had my Striple since Nov '08. My riding mileage is pretty evenly split 50/50, commuting (16 miles/day, work) and weekend road trips (ranging from 25-300 miles). This past summer I had plenty of opportunities to ride a couple good friends Daytonas and even a Ducati 1098, along with my wife's Suzuki SV650S.

While I loved being able to ride these other bikes, they were not short jaunts around the block, but nice long rides. Fun as those were, I would not trade or give up the Striple for the D675. I would have no problem adding a D675 for variety, but for day to day comfort no way, the Striple is a better over-all tool. And performance-wise, until you are over 130 mph or so, the Striple will do just fine against the Daytona. jd_gun13 and I swapped bikes a bit and I believe he's ready to trade for a Striple, lol.

Old 12-18-12, 11:34   #5
Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
I would have no problem adding a D675 for variety, but for day to day comfort no way, the Striple is a better over-all tool.
You're right. My Striple will be a lifer, but I will be in the marketplace looking for a D very soon...if not for the road, for the track :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disrupt View Post
Your STR can be made to be a more fun (Sprockets, chain, slip-on, filter),
I figured, I've probably already spent 2gs flat on my STR already, by the time the spring comes, I would of probably spent on it the amount of a used D675. Should I keep the Striple stock and classy(just some bolt ons) and just buy a used D675 at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Zen; 12-18-12 at 11:43.

Old 12-18-12, 11:35   #6
Chrisbell42

I have a daytona and I love it. I ride it everyday and commute in it. I like riding it and have no problems and its still fun. However, I've never ridden a street triple I would love to try one out someday. I guess for the guy that doesn't know the other side I can't talk much. But I wouldn't trade my d675

Old 12-18-12, 12:00   #7
Csorin

I went the other way. Had an 09 Daytona for about 8 months. Sold it and bought an 08 standard Triple. This is the bike I should have bought in the first place. Far more comfortable for riding around town, far more comfortable for country burns, and far far more comfortable for multi-hour multi-day trips (which weren't even an option for me on the Daytona).

The Street does all this at 90% the performance of the Daytona. Things I miss (but could be fixed with aftermarket) are the radial master cylinder, adjustable forks, and the Daytona's quasi-slipper engine braking. The Daytona made better induction noises and might have been a smidge faster up top. You also feel like a badass in the tucked position but then you feel like a twat at about the 30 minute mark when your back is screaming and you're riding home one-handed.

Having said all that, I am actually looking at adding a Daytona to the stable for track duties. The Street is a ball at the track, but I'd like to see what a true supersport position feels like on a closed circuit. I'm either buying a used GSXR-600 or going balls out and buying the 13 675R. One makes my brain happy, the other my heart. Maybe the Ohlins justifies it a little for my brain.

Old 12-18-12, 17:40   #8
Zen

Coincidentally I've had the best ride so far this morning lol.

Old 12-19-12, 09:42   #9
Papachristou

i would not recommend the Daytona for an everyday commuting bike. that being said, you can make it more tolerable with tank pads, heli bars, rearsets etc.
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Old 12-19-12, 20:14   #10
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

If the majority of your riding is on the road keep the Street. If you do track days then the Street will still be fine but a Daytona would be better. If you do both then buy one of each. That's what I did!

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement