Going to race a 2009 R1 2013 season - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 Racing Forums > General Racing Discussions

General Racing Discussions Discussion area for any non 675 related racing (Moto GP, World Superbike, etc) & general race set up / questions.

Old 12-13-12, 13:33   #1
Rink675

Default Going to race a 2009 R1 2013 season

I decided that I am going to enter my first year of racing in the Novice class with an R1 in the AFM organization. I know this is not the usual path that almost all racers take, either they start out on 250's or 600's and some never even leave the 600 class.

It would have been nice to race the 675 in the 600 class but the bike is being picked up next Friday by it's new owner. In the mean time I will be on the hunt for a 09+ race R1 bike and attending every trackday possible and going through the levels of the riding schools such as CSS, Disalvo Speed Academy and the local instruction of the trackday hosts as well.

Racing has to work for me, it's the only thing I have ever been so passionate about. I used to drag race 800hp cars but it got really boring just doing burnouts, lining up in the groove and trying to tree the person next to you at the light and make the perfect pass. Being on a bike has brought a whole new side of me out that I didn't know existed. I was always interested in motorcycles, I did a lot of BMX and mountain bike riding ever since I can remember but until last year this has gotten a hold of me!

A lot of the experienced I have gained was self taught via my motivation to read and learn. The only thing I had someone to show me when I first got my CBR600RR was how to start, stop and shift gears. Everything else I learned on my own such as body positioning, countersteering, riding in heavy wind and ect. A friend of mine and I went up into the canyons and I was only riding the bike for 2 weeks at this point, yes I had the death grip on the bars but managed to really learn a lot. I rode the bike for about 2k miles and already made my way up and down Mulholland without making a special appearance on Rnickey's channel (which was 2.5 months) and then took a cross country trip from CA to MN by myself on the RR.

Most would have considered that possible suicide, I rode from sun up to sun down and slept in a hotel at night. Once I got to MN I got into group riding and got myself a 1pc suit, from there I was up in the pack with the fast guys and they were amazed to know I have only been on a bike for 3 months ever in my life!

Not saying I am a force to be reckoned with because of these things but I just wanted to throw some inspiration out there to anyone who is thinking about getting into racing and that it's ok to go against the norm because everyone has different things they excel in.

I am looking forward to a great season in the 750CC + class in AFM, I hope to see some of you guys out there!

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-12, 23:48   #2
Dave675se

Keep us posted on the Disalvo Speed Academy. I want to attend one before the end of 2013.

Good luck with the racing career. I start mine this upcoming year, as well, but on an sv

Old 12-13-12, 23:54   #3
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave675se View Post
Keep us posted on the Disalvo Speed Academy. I want to attend one before the end of 2013.

Good luck with the racing career. I start mine this upcoming year, as well, but on an sv

I will for sure and thanks! Good luck with yours as well, have you been to any other schools?

Old 12-14-12, 03:28   #4
Dave675se

No, I have been doing track days for the past two years though. I picked up 2 SV's this year and have learned a lot. I was asked to join an endurance race team next year, so I am going for it.

Old 12-14-12, 06:58   #5
Rink675

Quote:
No, I have been doing track days for the past two years though. I picked up 2 SV's this year and have learned a lot. I was asked to join an endurance race team next year, so I am going for it.

Oh that's awesome dude! Good luck with that

Old 12-16-12, 23:34   #6
TRMN8TR

Quote:
What org do you race with? Don't happen to race with Moto Series do you? I just saw you were in Pitt, and we primarily ride at Nelson Ledges and Beaverun/PIRC.

And to the OP, how old are you? I dont want to knock anyone's hopes and dreams but unless you're in your teens, a racing career is probably out of the question. With that said, I'm 28 and just started racing last year and did fairly well. But I'm already considered past my prime, lol.

Old 12-17-12, 03:03   #7
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8TR View Post
What org do you race with? Don't happen to race with Moto Series do you? I just saw you were in Pitt, and we primarily ride at Nelson Ledges and Beaverun/PIRC.

And to the OP, how old are you? I dont want to knock anyone's hopes and dreams but unless you're in your teens, a racing career is probably out of the question. With that said, I'm 28 and just started racing last year and did fairly well. But I'm already considered past my prime, lol.

I am 24yrs old, can't remember the name of the rider but he rides one of the CRT bikes and he is 43yrs old. That gives me another 19yrs to at least get one year in the GP lol....

Who knows maybe I will be in the AMA before I am 30.

Old 12-17-12, 20:16   #8
Dave675se

I don't currently race, and like you I am past my prime (28). However, I am not going for a career in racing, just looking to have some fun with friends.

I have done track days with moto series and like the organization.

Old 12-20-12, 03:34   #9
Rink675

Changed my mind.....CBR1000RR instead lol

Old 12-20-12, 09:03   #10
TRMN8TR

What prompted that change? I thought the R1 was the king of the 1000's for road racing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement