Triumph 675 Forums banner

Triumph Daytona 675R wins 24 Hour Endurance

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  TRMN8TR 
#1 ·
...again.

December 8/9 of 2012 saw the second running of the BikeSA 24 Hour Motorcycle Endurance Race at Redstar Raceway. Proceedings kicked off at exactly twelve midday and saw 37 bikes blast of into the first corner. There were a couple of first session incidents which sent plenty of teams into early pit stops to repair what needed fixing.

Slowly the field spread out and the early front-runners were identified, most on supersport machines. Then there was still 23 hours remaining. Teams fought hard on track, mechanics and pit crew spent hours and hours awake, crowds were massive and the racing was brilliant.

I'm not going to babble on for too long, but I just want to extend some congratulations, firstly to all that participated, it was a massive turnout. Secondly, all those that finished, great job!

Special mentions to Team Sandvik Racing who had an early crash in the first session, fell back to 33rd odd place and clawed their way back to finish 2nd on the only other Triumph Daytona 675. Team Mammoet who had a ridiculously slow GS1000E and four riders who have never been around that circuit. Team RAD Moto on a brilliant finish on a underpowered CBR600F and the Red G Superbike Magazine Ladies team. We are 99% sure that this is the first ever full ladies team that have finished a 24 Hour Race. Excellent job girls!

Lastly, Team Illiterate on again dominating the 24 Hour with a margin of 18 laps this year. The professionalism in that pit is immense. Complete wheel and brake pad changes in under two minutes (without the aid of any fancy quick release special endurance kit) and managing to keep it at consistent pace, on the black stuff. Two years in a row, on the same bike. Just fantastic.

Here's a little something I put together over the weekend

See less See more
#10 ·
Awesome, very cool video.

#15 ·
I have competed in several 24 hour races (car not bike) and oh man are they such a huge difference compared to a normal race. It is quite a feat just to be able to finish one, let alone place at all. Congrats to all who are able to participate in something like that. It sure isn't easy.

You can tell in the vid how much off of an actual race pace they are

#17 ·
You can tell in the vid how much off of an actual race pace they are
Well there were a bunch of slower riders as the rules are quite complex to try and even out the competition, as to not have one team full of national racers dominating the event. Illiterate however are all a bunch of fast guys, even though only one races on national level.

The pace this year was definitely slower than last year. Actually, wow, okay, no. I lie. I thought there were way more sub-2's last year, there was only 1. But yeah, the front runners are all capable of sub-2's for sure. Team RSR Bridgestone got the fastest lap through a little kid (16yo) on a Fireblade named Anthony Shelly. He is RIDICULOUSLY fast. I think this might have also been the first time he's raced a thousand.

That's the first time he's been on the bike, brand new 2012 Blade off the showroom floor. Perfect way to break it in I say!

The final results aren't displaying for me, even on 2 different browsers? :(
Works fine for me? Otherwise, go to www.zatiming.co.za and look for the event there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.