Aftermarket TTX versus 675R TTX - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > All Things Suspension

Old 12-11-12, 12:08   #11
nolarocks

An OEM Ohlins shock is not the same as a Factory Ohlins shock. They are produced by 3rd party manufacturers and are not officially recognized by Ohlins (according to my credible sources in the industry). Also, the OEM part numbers are not in the Ohlins database, from what I understand.

Now the "huge" savings starts to make sense.

DiSalvo is running Factory Ohlins.

Is the OEM stuff high quality? Sure. Perfomance Bikes (UK) - Nov '12 - just did a great story on compariing the base, 675R, 675R modified, and a ss spec 675. The results may surprise you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-12, 00:16   #12
!!675R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolarocks View Post
An OEM Ohlins shock is not the same as a Factory Ohlins shock. They are produced by 3rd party manufacturers and are not officially recognized by Ohlins (according to my credible sources in the industry). Also, the OEM part numbers are not in the Ohlins database, from what I understand.

Is the OEM stuff high quality? Sure. Perfomance Bikes (UK) - Nov '12 - just did a great story on compariing the base, 675R, 675R modified, and a ss spec 675. The results may surprise you.

SO they put ohlins on the R thats not recognized by ohlins??? So is it made by Ohlins? If not then what is it? If it is made by Ohlins then what do you mean Ohlins doesnt recognize it?

Old 12-12-12, 19:24   #13
LennyZ87

to me it almost means like,
triumph makes the daytona, but doesnt recognize any parts from it, doesnt make any sense..
so lets
of course whatever suspension is used for race bikes isnt going to be used for a oem/street application, the price of the bike would be up by 1,000s. sure the kayaba stuff on the regular one is more than any street rider can handle, hell i cant ride nearly at the limit of my bike, but i guess that means that i have alot of room for improvement.
you think the blistien shocks from any z71 chevy truck oem are the same as the ultra super mega awesome ones right from bilstien? no, but do the people who drive the truck really care? i bet not. i bought my bike because it was the only daytona at the dealer i went to, i fell in love with the color and found it cool to have some 'upgraded' suspension.

wise man once said, this is why they make more then one flavor of ice cream.

end of my dumb rant.
1989 Yamaha FZR600 (sold)
cars:
03 Pontiac Grand Am GT
72 AMC Javelin AMX

Old 12-12-12, 19:35   #14
Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolarocks View Post

I'm sorry but there is just no way this is the case. It may be true that they aren't produced in house but ohlins definitely recognizes the shock as an ohlins damper, if they didn't triumph and whoever is making the shock would have a copyright & trademark shit show on their hands.

Old 12-12-12, 19:55   #15
MakinBeer

Is there any reason to believe it's not real TTX Mk I with real TTX internals minus length adjustment and a hydraulic preload adjuster? Maybe something like T36PR1C1?

Old 12-13-12, 13:53   #16
Papachristou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I dunno how much better or worse they are, but Jason DiSalvo broke the track record at Jennings (for stock production bikes), on a 675R. They must be pretty good. :D
good enough for me.

Ive had two daytona's now and my R does ride and wear tires differently. The ride itself is noticeably rougher and my tires are wearing much more on the sides than before. my front is past the treadwear indicators on the sides and the rear is pretty close to the bottom of them (in half the amount of miles). the bikes may have had different tire compounds, i dont know. also, i found that i cornered better on the R, enough that i have to stand up a little to keep from hitting the slick white lines. ive had to relearn some lines on everyday roads and enter higher than normal or carry more speed so i dont tighten up too much.
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Last edited by Papachristou; 12-13-12 at 16:27.

Old 12-19-12, 02:28   #17
Triumph Race Support

Interesting reading. We had the first 2 675Rs in the UK and later I bought 2 TTX shocks off TAG Triumphs 675Rs. One of the TAG shocks had been stripped by K-Tech and they said its was a proper Ohlins shock and not a made under license in China one. Then they stripped our 2 TTX shocks down and shock their heads!

I have 2 TTX shocks coming up for sale soon.

Old 12-19-12, 04:27   #18
BradManUWF

TR9080 is the model number for an oem TTX from a 675R. They do not have the same valving, adjustments, or adjust range. The TR889 was the aftermarket model at the time I was doing my research in 2011 (model numbers may have/probably changed since then). I talked with the guys at Kyle Racing and Dave Moss about this a lot before I purchased my Ohlins shock. The oem TTX is made by Ohlins, it's just a different model and not the same "quality" as the off-the-shelf units. Granted, unless you're an AMA or higher level rider, you're not going to really feel the difference. The oem TTX shock is way better than the standard KYB shocks on the non-R models. But unless you're going to get a sweet deal on an oem TTX, spend the couple hundred more on the aftermarket model. Think of it this way when buying a used shock: A smart guy changes the oil and other fluids on a used car after purchase because you never know how it was treated or when it was serviced last. Same goes for a used shock, and you'll spend 200-400 having it serviced. So unless you're getting a killer deal on a used shock, the price of the shock + servicing will put you up to or near the price of a new aftermarket one that's better to begin with.

Antirich knows they aren't the same because he decided to delay selling his TR602 when he learned from various questions, research, and pictures in his for sale thread that the oem TTX is not the same quality as an aftermarket.
BradManUWF's Youtube Channel

Last edited by BradManUWF; 12-19-12 at 19:48.

Old 12-20-12, 14:19   #19
Kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiW View Post
Interesting reading. We had the first 2 675Rs in the UK and later I bought 2 TTX shocks off TAG Triumphs 675Rs. One of the TAG shocks had been stripped by K-Tech and they said its was a proper Ohlins shock and not a made under license in China one. Then they stripped our 2 TTX shocks down and shock their heads!

I have 2 TTX shocks coming up for sale soon.
I'm reading that as the two OE "Ohlins" shocks causing the head shaking, Si? My understanding is that the "Ohlins" on both the 675R and Speed Triple R are made under licence by third parties, not by Ohlins.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement