Flat tire! Oh noes! - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 12-09-12, 15:22   #11
Skotbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
Umm and the point of starting a thread for this is?????????
Because I wanted to share my pain. And isn't that what we do in forums? Also, because I knew other members might have something constructive to say about plugs and such.

The nail was in the rear, and I ended up plugging it to get her home. Still gonna get a new tire, but I had done a lot of riding on my old bike with a plugged rear :p ! Thanks for the input gents

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-12, 09:31   #12
Chchadder

This topic has been argued at least once a week since this forum began and we're no closer to a resolution on the topic. Thus far mosly the Neverpluggers have chimed in, but there's a hearty clan of Plugaways in the area too that should get to the party at some point.

Bottom line is this: If you are uncomfortable riding on a plugged or patched tire then you need to buy a new one. The last thing you need to have running through your head while riding is a worry that your patched or plugged tire is not going to hold.

I've done thousands of miles, city and mountain (no track), on plugged tires (rear only) with no problems. Do it right and it will last the life of the tire.
This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat. ~Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-11-12, 09:47   #13
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Here ill be constructive. If you want to be a cheap rider like most 18 yr old fools then buy a little plastic patch. If you want a for sure safe way of riding get a new tire.

Also this did not need a new thread. There is a search function for a reason. Now you have two choices which one you go with is up to you.

Old 12-11-12, 09:58   #14
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chchadder View Post
...Do it right and it will last the life of the tire.
Respectfully speaking - you can not guarantee this and it's potentially dangerous advice. Failure is not always due to the installation of the patch or plug. Motorcycle tires flex a lot more than car tires, which are what tire repair kits are truly designed for.
I've spoken with a few folks that have had a plug come out, and almost every case involved either higher speeds or lots of side-to-side transitions. Either scenario is not the time to lose control. When the rear tire rapidly loses air, it's extremely hard to steer the bike, not something you need to deal with when traveling at speed around a tight curve. Been there myself - I know how it feels.

Old 12-11-12, 11:10   #15
Godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
Here ill be constructive. If you want to be a cheap rider like most 18 yr old fools then buy a little plastic patch. If you want a for sure safe way of riding get a new tire.

Also this did not need a new thread. There is a search function for a reason. Now you have two choices which one you go with is up to you.
Gotta agree man. Didn't need a new thread at all IMO

Old 12-11-12, 13:32   #16
Skotbb

Apologies. Didn't read the guidelines on what topics deserve threads or not. Delete this if deemed unworthy.

Is there also a list of local trolls? ;)

Old 12-11-12, 14:36   #17
Papachristou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chchadder View Post
This topic has been argued at least once a week since this forum began and we're no closer to a resolution on the topic. Thus far mosly the Neverpluggers have chimed in, but there's a hearty clan of Plugaways in the area too that should get to the party at some point.
=.
lol @ your post. so true. My life is worth more than $200 bones. i would get a new tire. but i am not the OP.
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Old 12-12-12, 01:25   #18
Chchadder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Respectfully speaking - you can not guarantee this and it's potentially dangerous advice. Failure is not always due to the installation of the patch or plug. Motorcycle tires flex a lot more than car tires, which are what tire repair kits are truly designed for.
I've spoken with a few folks that have had a plug come out, and almost every case involved either higher speeds or lots of side-to-side transitions. Either scenario is not the time to lose control. When the rear tire rapidly loses air, it's extremely hard to steer the bike, not something you need to deal with when traveling at speed around a tight curve. Been there myself - I know how it feels.
I can't guarantee that the OP won't walk out in front of a bus, but if he looks both ways before he steps off the curb he's much less likely to.

Obviously an internal patch or even patch/plug is optimal, but speaking for myself, I have plugged rears (that sounds dirty ) more than a few times and the plugs have lasted the life of the tires. On these bikes, what are we talking, 3000 miles max on a rear on these bikes with the stock tire? A properly installed, self-vulcanizing mushroom-type plug is what I am talking about here, not the rope style plug.

Losing air for any reason at any speed under any condition is not a great feeling, but I haven't heard of a catastrophic plug failure that resulted in faster air loss than the original puncture. In other words, it ain't gonna to blow out. If the OP is worried about his tires doing anything other than sticking to the pavement while in a tight turn he should rethink being in a tight turn in the first place, regardless of whether his tires are plugged or virgin (again, sounds dirty ).

Besides, you think that simply plugging is dangerous, check this shit out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tQ6hFqifE8

All kidding aside, don't listen to me. I'm part of the Plugaway clan, but I have kin in the Neverpluggers. Do what makes you feel safe on the bike.
This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat. ~Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-12-12, 06:53   #19
Sons31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotbb View Post
Apologies. Didn't read the guidelines on what topics deserve threads or not. Delete this if deemed unworthy.

Is there also a list of local trolls? ;)
Don't worry about it. I too have been scorned by the triumph675 police for not obeying the not-so-transparent ground rules. (maybe somebody can make a list?)

Back to the topic, the same happened to my brother. He went to pick up his GSX-R 600 and ran over a nail. He only noticed it when he came home (pushing a motorcycle with a flat tire is damn hard). Tried to inject the tire with some kind of hardening foam.. Didn't do shit. He's getting a new tire.

Cheers

Old 12-12-12, 07:03   #20
Kaosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons31 View Post
Don't worry about it. I too have been scorned by the triumph675 police for not obeying the not-so-transparent ground rules. (maybe somebody can make a list?)

Back to the topic, the same happened to my brother. He went to pick up his GSX-R 600 and ran over a nail. He only noticed it when he came home (pushing a motorcycle with a flat tire is damn hard). Tried to inject the tire with some kind of hardening foam.. Didn't do shit. He's getting a new tire.

Cheers
Omg. Please tell me he did not try to put fix-a-flat in his motorcycle tire.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement