Paint options - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Cosmetic Mods

Old 12-11-12, 06:34   #1
bmw4422

Default Paint options

For those of you that painted your fairings with rustoleum, "$50 way", do you think you could have the same success with this?
sherwin Williams

It says all surface exterior oil-based enamel. Those are the key characteristics correct? I was looking for more color options than what rustoleum offers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-12, 20:24   #2
Lankford

honestly man spend some money and get it done right. I work at a shop and I've tried to go a cheap route several times and it NEVER ends well. Just my opinion because it's a nice bike so why go cheap ya know?

Old 12-11-12, 20:37   #3
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

I have rattle-canned a few bikes in my day (way back before I knew better). The one flaw the "$50 thread" never touched on is fluids. If its not at the very least a two stage, your "master piece" will be ruined as soon as you make a mistake with a splash of gas.

Two stage, or go home in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881

Old 12-11-12, 21:40   #4
bmw4422

I should have mentioned its for a track body.
Not trying to cheap out, seen others on here that seemed happy with the quality for that.

I hadn't seen anyone have issues before with gas or other fluids. That would definetly be a concern.

Old 12-11-12, 21:49   #5
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
I have rattle-canned a few bikes in my day (way back before I knew better). The one flaw the "$50 thread" never touched on is fluids. If its not at the very least a two stage, your "master piece" will be ruined as soon as you make a mistake with a splash of gas.

Two stage, or go home in my book.

Yup I have experienced this before when I painted my street bike. I was filling up at the pump and some gas came out unexpectedly and it was a flaw that couldn't be fixed and really annoyed me!

I think the best way to go overall is just a base color of what you want via spray can and then put vinyl over it and clear coat the vinyl. This way you can get whatever detail you want without hours of airbrushing, orange peel on your rattle can job and once you wipe out then you can even just replace the part of the vinyl that got damaged and re-coat it.

I have seen some AMA bikes done this way, they weren't factory teams but it's a great way to get your bike looking professional without shelling out thousand of dollars for a paint job. I even talked with a local paint shop that just opened up and offered to put their name on my bike for a discounted rate on the paint work and it was still over a grand for just 2 basic colors....

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Old 12-11-12, 21:53   #6
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

All my bikes are track only bikes and I paint every single one with two-stage paint. Nothing more sad than a wilting paint job...

Simply put: The rattle can guys are the same people totally satisfied with blue tape covering lights.

It's really not a big deal as far as value of life, it's just: life has an order. In that order is a right, and a wrong way to do things.

Paint your bike how ever you would like, but in the order of things, spending $40 more dollars is the right way to do this kind of business (in my opinion).

This won't make it faster, or help it crash better, but it's the right way to do it.

Old 12-11-12, 21:57   #7
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink675 View Post
Yup I have experienced this before when I painted my street bike. I was filling up at the pump and some gas came out unexpectedly and it was a flaw that couldn't be fixed and really annoyed me!

I think the best way to go overall is just a base color of what you want via spray can and then put vinyl over it and clear coat the vinyl. This way you can get whatever detail you want without hours of airbrushing, orange peel on your rattle can job and once you wipe out then you can even just replace the part of the vinyl that got damaged and re-coat it.

I have seen some AMA bikes done this way, they weren't factory teams but it's a great way to get your bike looking professional without shelling out thousand of dollars for a paint job. I even talked with a local paint shop that just opened up and offered to put their name on my bike for a discounted rate on the paint work and it was still over a grand for just 2 basic colors....
I'll show you how to paint 2-stage yourself. It's more easy than a rattle-can. Just takes a little (very little) investment in equipment is all.

Old 12-11-12, 22:15   #8
bmw4422

So you're saying I could spray it for $100? I know someone that would do it for free, just have to get the paint. Didn't want to burn my 'I owe you one' card.

I figured getting two stage would be much more.

Old 12-11-12, 22:29   #9
jardineD675

Shouldnthave, show us, I'm interested, what kind of equipment etc... and stages?

Sent from my X10a using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 12-11-12, 22:29   #10
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
I'll show you how to paint 2-stage yourself. It's more easy than a rattle-can. Just takes a little (very little) investment in equipment is all.

Sounds good, I will hopefully be in CA in Feb or March. Although my race bike wont be a 675 though....

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement