Paint options - Triumph675.Net Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 06:34 Thread Starter
bmw4422
Senior Member
 
bmw4422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mahomet, Illinois
Posts: 814
Thanks: 6
Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Paint options

For those of you that painted your fairings with rustoleum, "$50 way", do you think you could have the same success with this?
sherwin Williams

It says all surface exterior oil-based enamel. Those are the key characteristics correct? I was looking for more color options than what rustoleum offers.

Brian
2011 daytona 675 SE (sold)
bmw4422 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 20:24
Lankford
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honestly man spend some money and get it done right. I work at a shop and I've tried to go a cheap route several times and it NEVER ends well. Just my opinion because it's a nice bike so why go cheap ya know?
Lankford is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 20:37
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner
 
shouldnthave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,297
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I have rattle-canned a few bikes in my day (way back before I knew better). The one flaw the "$50 thread" never touched on is fluids. If its not at the very least a two stage, your "master piece" will be ruined as soon as you make a mistake with a splash of gas.

Two stage, or go home in my book.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
shouldnthave is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 21:40 Thread Starter
bmw4422
Senior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
bmw4422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mahomet, Illinois
Posts: 814
Thanks: 6
Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I should have mentioned its for a track body.
Not trying to cheap out, seen others on here that seemed happy with the quality for that.

I hadn't seen anyone have issues before with gas or other fluids. That would definetly be a concern.

Brian
2011 daytona 675 SE (sold)
bmw4422 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 21:49
Rink675
Senior Member
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
I have rattle-canned a few bikes in my day (way back before I knew better). The one flaw the "$50 thread" never touched on is fluids. If its not at the very least a two stage, your "master piece" will be ruined as soon as you make a mistake with a splash of gas.

Two stage, or go home in my book.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Yup I have experienced this before when I painted my street bike. I was filling up at the pump and some gas came out unexpectedly and it was a flaw that couldn't be fixed and really annoyed me!

I think the best way to go overall is just a base color of what you want via spray can and then put vinyl over it and clear coat the vinyl. This way you can get whatever detail you want without hours of airbrushing, orange peel on your rattle can job and once you wipe out then you can even just replace the part of the vinyl that got damaged and re-coat it.

I have seen some AMA bikes done this way, they weren't factory teams but it's a great way to get your bike looking professional without shelling out thousand of dollars for a paint job. I even talked with a local paint shop that just opened up and offered to put their name on my bike for a discounted rate on the paint work and it was still over a grand for just 2 basic colors....



2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Rink675 is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 21:53
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner
 
shouldnthave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,297
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
All my bikes are track only bikes and I paint every single one with two-stage paint. Nothing more sad than a wilting paint job...

Simply put: The rattle can guys are the same people totally satisfied with blue tape covering lights.

It's really not a big deal as far as value of life, it's just: life has an order. In that order is a right, and a wrong way to do things.

Paint your bike how ever you would like, but in the order of things, spending $40 more dollars is the right way to do this kind of business (in my opinion).

This won't make it faster, or help it crash better, but it's the right way to do it.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
shouldnthave is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 21:57
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner
 
shouldnthave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,297
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink675 View Post
Yup I have experienced this before when I painted my street bike. I was filling up at the pump and some gas came out unexpectedly and it was a flaw that couldn't be fixed and really annoyed me!

I think the best way to go overall is just a base color of what you want via spray can and then put vinyl over it and clear coat the vinyl. This way you can get whatever detail you want without hours of airbrushing, orange peel on your rattle can job and once you wipe out then you can even just replace the part of the vinyl that got damaged and re-coat it.

I have seen some AMA bikes done this way, they weren't factory teams but it's a great way to get your bike looking professional without shelling out thousand of dollars for a paint job. I even talked with a local paint shop that just opened up and offered to put their name on my bike for a discounted rate on the paint work and it was still over a grand for just 2 basic colors....
I'll show you how to paint 2-stage yourself. It's more easy than a rattle-can. Just takes a little (very little) investment in equipment is all.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
shouldnthave is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 22:15 Thread Starter
bmw4422
Senior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
bmw4422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mahomet, Illinois
Posts: 814
Thanks: 6
Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
So you're saying I could spray it for $100? I know someone that would do it for free, just have to get the paint. Didn't want to burn my 'I owe you one' card.

I figured getting two stage would be much more.

Brian
2011 daytona 675 SE (sold)
bmw4422 is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 22:29
jardineD675
Member
 
jardineD675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: sacramento
Posts: 208
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shouldnthave, show us, I'm interested, what kind of equipment etc... and stages?

Sent from my X10a using Motorcycle.com Free App
jardineD675 is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 12-11-12, 22:29
Rink675
Senior Member
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
I'll show you how to paint 2-stage yourself. It's more easy than a rattle-can. Just takes a little (very little) investment in equipment is all.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Sounds good, I will hopefully be in CA in Feb or March. Although my race bike wont be a 675 though....



2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Rink675 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome