Sliding front tire - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
New Posts Faq / Help? XBOX Live Modifications Classifieds
   
Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Riding Skills

Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-12, 13:48   #21
kmo
Member
 
kmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 518
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

happened to me twice. once it gave me headshake at full lean, I felt i was going down but somehow pulled myself back on the bike and didnt.

Second time was turn 1 at NJMP. Felt the bike falling out from under me, my outside leg came off the peg and i thought I was going down, again bike seemed to correct itself and i was back on. No idea how i was still on the bike though, guessing my outside knee was still pressed in the tank. Either way majorly scary!

I actually got the first one on film. Hard to see because my camera mount was really shaky but if you look at my handlebars at 1:02 you can see them doing some oscillating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQBsiHfXxw&feature=plcp
__________________
Looking for a custom lid? check me out at www.kmocustoms.com
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-11-12, 13:57   #22
Rink675
Senior Member
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo View Post
happened to me twice. once it gave me headshake at full lean, I felt i was going down but somehow pulled myself back on the bike and didnt.

Second time was turn 1 at NJMP. Felt the bike falling out from under me, my outside leg came off the peg and i thought I was going down, again bike seemed to correct itself and i was back on. No idea how i was still on the bike though, guessing my outside knee was still pressed in the tank. Either way majorly scary!

I actually got the first one on film. Hard to see because my camera mount was really shaky but if you look at my handlebars at 1:02 you can see them doing some oscillating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQBsiHfXxw&feature=plcp

Nice, thanks for the video! Everyone has different reaction times and it's funny when you react to something faster then you can even think about reacting to it.....I think that right there is what sets the natural riders apart from the ones who really have to work at going at a certain pace or how well they pick up riding.

When I first started riding about 3 months after I got my first bike I accidently locked up my front brake and the bike started chattering really badly. I made it out without downing the bike, natural reaction just took over and I corrected the mistake.....in my head afterwords I thought to myself "yea let's not do that anymore" lol....
__________________


2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-12, 08:48   #23
ttilghman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hudson valley, ny
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

for sure front end slides are much harder to catch than the rear. i had a bike that had front end issues all last season. i lost it once but was able to catch it at least half a dozen times. reducing radius (stop turning so hard) and standing the bike up a hair so it can regain grip, all very quickly, is what saved me when it worked. if it becomes a regular issue like it was with me, start working on your suspension and maybe playing with tire pressure. if your tire is soft it'll get too hot/greasy and start sliding around, conversely if it's too hard you lose grip too. so when you're riding hard you want to see your tire pressure increase 3-4 pounds from cold to hot. exactly what kind of tire compounds you're running can make a difference in grip and heat as well.
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-12, 00:56   #24
Rink675
Senior Member
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttilghman View Post
for sure front end slides are much harder to catch than the rear. i had a bike that had front end issues all last season. i lost it once but was able to catch it at least half a dozen times. reducing radius (stop turning so hard) and standing the bike up a hair so it can regain grip, all very quickly, is what saved me when it worked. if it becomes a regular issue like it was with me, start working on your suspension and maybe playing with tire pressure. if your tire is soft it'll get too hot/greasy and start sliding around, conversely if it's too hard you lose grip too. so when you're riding hard you want to see your tire pressure increase 3-4 pounds from cold to hot. exactly what kind of tire compounds you're running can make a difference in grip and heat as well.

Cool thanks for the input!
__________________


2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-12, 20:17   #25
FlyinBrian24
Junior Member
 
FlyinBrian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The LOU!!!
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default sliding the front

I started sliding the front end this summer. The first time was at heartland park in the heat of july.It scared the crap out of me,but I just did what Dylan Code at California Superbike School told me to do. Go nuetral throttle and relax on the bars it will catch it self.
I've since slid the front a half dozen time a several different tracks in varying weather conditions and it's worked every time. It works well enough that I trail brake waaaay later knowing I'll be able to save it if I get a little to aggressive on the brakes.
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-12, 21:32   #26
Rink675
Senior Member
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBrian24 View Post
I started sliding the front end this summer. The first time was at heartland park in the heat of july.It scared the crap out of me,but I just did what Dylan Code at California Superbike School told me to do. Go nuetral throttle and relax on the bars it will catch it self.
I've since slid the front a half dozen time a several different tracks in varying weather conditions and it's worked every time. It works well enough that I trail brake waaaay later knowing I'll be able to save it if I get a little to aggressive on the brakes.

Ah nice! I was going to ask when I went there to the school.
__________________


2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-12, 21:47   #27
FlyinBrian24
Junior Member
 
FlyinBrian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The LOU!!!
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Rink,C.S.S. is a good investment. I Plan to go do levels 3&4 this yr @ Barber in June. Where are you planning on going?
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-12, 22:32   #28
Rink675
Senior Member
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBrian24 View Post
Rink,C.S.S. is a good investment. I Plan to go do levels 3&4 this yr @ Barber in June. Where are you planning on going?

Oh I know it's worth it, the crappy part is I have to pay for a plane ticket, hotel, car rental and bike deposit for the S1000 because there is nothing close to MN. I was supposed to go back in November but couldn't swing the added costs of everything so I just had them hold my deposit for another future class.

Hopefully I will be back in CA in March and not have to pay for all the other added costs and just rent a bike since I just sold my 675 race bike.
__________________


2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 11:36   #29
FlyinBrian24
Junior Member
 
FlyinBrian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The LOU!!!
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I used the Beemer for level 1&2 but will use my daytona this time. the beemer was a blast to ride. I think I will benefit more by using my own equipment as Its sprung and valved for me.Plus I want to improve on my weakest skill set; Braking. I don't think I will learn as much with ABS. Besides,I've found I like being able to lock a wheel to get the bike turned. In my opinion a rider will never get really fast unless they get comfortable sliding both ends of the bike.
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 19:09   #30
Rink675
Senior Member
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBrian24 View Post
I used the Beemer for level 1&2 but will use my daytona this time. the beemer was a blast to ride. I think I will benefit more by using my own equipment as Its sprung and valved for me.Plus I want to improve on my weakest skill set; Braking. I don't think I will learn as much with ABS. Besides,I've found I like being able to lock a wheel to get the bike turned. In my opinion a rider will never get really fast unless they get comfortable sliding both ends of the bike.

Yea braking is mine too, not the act of braking but getting a reference point and getting the braking done properly without under shooting myself is my issue. I always find myself being able to brake later then I am actually doing because I approach the corner slower then I wanted to.

I have done the 3rd gear no brakes and I am decent (nobody is perfect lol) with judging speed and distance but once I throw braking in the mix it just messes me up.
__________________


2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump





Forum SEO by Zoints
Copyright 2009 TRIUMPH675.NET Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum