How To: Brake Caliper Rebuild - Page 8 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > How To's

Old 11-27-12, 01:24   #71
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

I took my sweet ass time last time i did it, brakes is not an area to hurry over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-12, 01:31   #72
MGFChapin

Depends how dirty they are and how clean you want them. Mine were really dirty, and I wanted them really clean, so it took me about 3 hrs.

Old 12-10-12, 20:20   #73
Lemonfresh

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was a very bad idea to take apart two piece calipers like that.

Old 12-11-12, 02:50   #74
MGFChapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonfresh View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was a very bad idea to take apart two piece calipers like that.
Like what? According to the manual? I'm correcting you. You're wrong.

Old 12-11-12, 03:12   #75
thejuiceman

1. If I want to do more of a quickie clean (not removing seals or pistons), in between total rebuilds, how would you suggest doing that:
What can I use to scrub everything down good that will make the job as easy as possible but not harm the caliper/seals if some of it remains behind the pistons or on the seals themselves. I would more than likely be blowing out any excess with a compressor but I want to make sure I don't do more harm than good trying to clean them.

2. I read that some of you knew where the bubbles were in your system. How did you know where?

3. Is there a particular brake bleeder you recommend?

4. Where can I find a good tutorial on the "Back Filling" brake bleeding method?

THANKS!

Old 12-11-12, 11:01   #76
Lemonfresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Like what?
I know a lot of manufacturers don't want you taking the halves apart for reasons I can't exactly remember. I think it has something to do with not getting the halves to seal properly or if you torque them down incorrectly or unevenly you can run into problems. It has been years since I read the article about it and I can't remember where I read it.

Old 12-11-12, 11:07   #77
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonfresh View Post
I know a lot of manufacturers don't want you taking the halves apart for reasons I can't exactly remember. I think it has something to do with not getting the halves to seal properly or if you torque them down incorrectly or unevenly you can run into problems. It has been years since I read the article about it and I can't remember where I read it.
There's a specific section in the official Triumph Service Manual that details how to service the calipers. They are made to be taken apart and cleaned. Not getting the assembly put back together correctly is user error, has nothing to do with product design. These calipers (as most) should be completely taken apart and cleaned as needed.

Old 03-06-13, 11:37   #78
Victor Ward

Is there any need to rebuild the master cylinder as well?
I haven't seen any threads about that so thought I would ask.

Old 03-06-13, 11:48   #79
MGFChapin

The OEM M/C isn't really rebuildable. You can get a new piston from Triumph, but I don't see anywhere you can buy all the seals separately.

Most nice aftermarket M/C's like Brembo have rebuild kits available, and it is recommended to service them every once in a while.

Old 03-06-13, 16:30   #80
Desmoto

Hi, I,m wanting to rebuild the callipers on my 07 race bike but have been quoted $320 just for the seal kit.Does anyone know if other bikes use the same callipers or is there aftermarket kits available.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement