question about the 1050 throttle tube mod - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > The Street Triple 675!

Old 12-07-12, 14:31   #11
MacBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastybutler View Post
Ugh. In that case, why even have a sport bike? A ST3 isn't a necessity for any of us. Nor is it the most practical bike in the world.

I notice a difference when going WOT. It's not a major difference, but I like it. That's the point. Also, it's nice not having to have my wrist cranked so far back when I do go WOT.
I understand your view point and obviously there are reasons for both. For me a sport bike is to be light and nimble and fun in the corners. 100mph on the straights is for the track. On the street a longer throttle travel means smoother throttle control and therefore comfort which is what most want on the street. Where I live the Street is the perfect bike as there are a lot of twisty roads. As for having your wrist cranked back there is a technique that most people never bother to learn that keeps your wrist and arm in line at your normal throttle opening. From there full open is only a partial twist and closed likewise. It's an easy technique and it doesn't require removing your hand. The only issue is it requires you to have a very light grip mostly with just your fingers not a death grip like most people have as if they are trying to give the throttle a hand job. On the track on the other hand you don't use this technique and the fast turn throttle is a necessity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-12, 15:54   #12
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

I guess the hooligan in me outweighs the need for a bit more comfort. I do keep my wrist in line when at the normal throttle postion, btw. It's when I go from normal position to WOT (which is more often than I should) that having a shorter throw is nice.

I see your point about being smoother with the stock throttle tube, but if I want a super smooth ride, I'll take my other bike out. Actually, even with the 1050 tube, I don't notice much if any difference in smoothness in normal riding, provided the road isn't incredibly rough or bumpy. And if it is, I just ease off of the throttle, which you'd have to do anyway.

Trinity's Mod Thread

Old 12-08-12, 00:01   #13
MacBandit

Understood. I like wheelies and I'm not saying I don't ever go over a ton on the street just not nearly as much as I use to and never in populated areas.

I should say more then anything I'm trying to give a counterpoint to the 1050 throttle because I feel there are probably a lot of people that would be better off without it but are being lured in by the amount of threads and comments for it around here by a bunch of throttle happy people. I can't say I'm not one of them but I've turned most of my throttle rage to the track.

Old 12-10-12, 15:01   #14
vintagespeed

going from 40-50mph lane splitting to 80-90mph cruise with traffic over & over again makes it a pain in the ass to re-position my throttle grip all the time. and being lazy and riding with a kink in my wrist hurts.

Old 12-10-12, 16:16   #15
old blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
Personally if you are only riding street then I really don't see the point.

I have to disagree. But then, I grew up on dirt bikes with quick action throttles, so the standard 675 throttle turn seemed painfully long to me.

O.B

Old 12-10-12, 17:10   #16
jcp

I am very happy with my 1050 throttle-I'm not a racer or even a very quick road rider. I found it made ordinary riding even easier and helped me with my adaptation to the Striple which some people find has a snatchy throttle action compared with some other bikes. The action now feels natural and relaxed.
It is so cheap and easy to do that it is something I'd heartily recommend since if it doesn't suit you can revert and re-sell the new tube without a second thought.

Old 12-11-12, 00:35   #17
MacBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post
I have to disagree. But then, I grew up on dirt bikes with quick action throttles, so the standard 675 throttle turn seemed painfully long to me.

O.B

I did too but it really didn't bother me until I got to the track.

Old 12-18-12, 07:08   #18
jason68278

I liked it. I couldn't do a power wheelie till i installed it. My nerves never let me rip it that hard. I can clutch up a consistent 2 feet tho. Taking baby steps......

Old 12-19-12, 19:10   #19
Kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltySparc View Post
Everytime i see one of these threads it reminds me that i need to do this mod.
Not necessarily. I've not physically compared the throttle tube cam on my 2010 bike to a 1050 throttle tube I meant to look at it when I fitted my Rizoma bars, but forgot), but I have compared the throttle action, and mine is the same as a 1050 (about 1/5 turn from closed to fully open) - I think later bikes may have left the factory with the mod already done, I've never experienced the overly long throttle action that owners of earlier bikes talk about.

Old 12-19-12, 19:47   #20
Orangeman
BOTM Winner

The cable ramp on the 1050 tube is larger in diameter and absolutely shortens the throw to WOT from the stock (any year) Street Triple unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement