My bike died on me - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 12-09-12, 13:06   #11
weezy84

edited

Last edited by weezy84; 12-13-12 at 17:24. Reason: created new thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-12, 14:40   #12
nixthewiz

I'm not so sure if it's the RR that went bad. Other people with bad RRs report their batteries got drained. My bike just doesn't do that. I started up 3 times no problem after I shut it down.

I'm hesitant to take it back out cause I don't want it to die on me in traffic again. All of a sudden when I'm riding the rev just goes crazy. No power then goes up to 7-8k rpm and then no power and then goes to 7k rpm and then no power and then goes back to high rpms. After that it just lose all power to the rearwheel no matter how much throttle I give it and I have to coast to a stop then the engine shuts off when the bike is stopped. I'll check the voltage tomorrow and see if it's something electrical.

Last edited by nixthewiz; 12-09-12 at 14:47.

Old 12-09-12, 19:18   #13
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixthewiz View Post
I asked the previous owner and he said before he sold it to me his local dealer replaced the RR under the recall.
If you bought the bike more than a couple of months ago then it wouldn't have been done under the recall as that only came up in about August. It may well have been replaced, but with another crap one. If you look for a thread I started recently then you will see I have posted a photo of the crap R/R next to the good recall R/R. See which one you have. In any event give your dealer the bike VIN and see if it has been fixed under warranty. If not then get it done sharpish.

Not sure if the R/R is the problem in your case as the symptoms seems different to those usually reported on here, but for peace of mind I'd find out for sure if the R/R has been replaced with the MOSFET unit. Quick and easy to do if you check out my photo.

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Old 12-09-12, 22:05   #14
nixthewiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
If you bought the bike more than a couple of months ago then it wouldn't have been done under the recall as that only came up in about August. It may well have been replaced, but with another crap one. If you look for a thread I started recently then you will see I have posted a photo of the crap R/R next to the good recall R/R. See which one you have. In any event give your dealer the bike VIN and see if it has been fixed under warranty. If not then get it done sharpish.

Not sure if the R/R is the problem in your case as the symptoms seems different to those usually reported on here, but for peace of mind I'd find out for sure if the R/R has been replaced with the MOSFET unit. Quick and easy to do if you check out my photo.
I just got the bike recently in october. Called my local dealer they said no oustanding recall on the bike. Is the only difference between the old and new RR the size and color? I looked this morning and it looks like my RR is the new one.

The previous owner said the RR got replaced because of the recall. He got it done early october.

Old 12-10-12, 11:01   #15
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixthewiz View Post
I just got the bike recently in october. Called my local dealer they said no oustanding recall on the bike. Is the only difference between the old and new RR the size and color? I looked this morning and it looks like my RR is the new one.

The previous owner said the RR got replaced because of the recall. He got it done early october.
That's good, sounds like it should be the new one fitted. However search for my photo comparison, this will make it a lot easier for you to tell them apart.

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Old 12-10-12, 12:18   #16
nixthewiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
That's good, sounds like it should be the new one fitted. However search for my photo comparison, this will make it a lot easier for you to tell them apart.
I just checked and yes I have the new RR and not the old one. Will have to do voltage checks now.

Old 12-10-12, 14:00   #17
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Excellent. Hopefully you can forget about that now. Good luck.

Old 12-10-12, 19:12   #18
nixthewiz

So today I took the power commander off the bike then went for a test ride. The bike ran well for the first 20 minutes or so. Then as I accelerate from low RPMs to 4-4.5k RPM the rev start increasing and decreasing by itself again. The oscillation is a lot quicker than before. As I get to 5K RPM the jerking stops.

The engine doesn't stall however. Maybe I just need to reflash a new map for aftermarket exhausts? The ECU is still running an old stock map, I have a Jardine slip on on the bike.

Old 12-11-12, 19:58   #19
DeathStar

When my regulator failed I installed a Rick's Motorsports Hot Shot regulator and have had no problems since. Been about a year or two since I installed this. Before my regulator went bad on my 2007 I had a different issue with the pickup coil on my stator and also had that replaced. Lately no problems.

I would try using the Arrow/Triumph slip on tune from your Triumph dealer for the Jardine slip-ons. This should make it run correctly.

Old 12-12-12, 11:30   #20
nixthewiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStar View Post
When my regulator failed I installed a Rick's Motorsports Hot Shot regulator and have had no problems since. Been about a year or two since I installed this. Before my regulator went bad on my 2007 I had a different issue with the pickup coil on my stator and also had that replaced. Lately no problems.

I would try using the Arrow/Triumph slip on tune from your Triumph dealer for the Jardine slip-ons. This should make it run correctly.
After a couple of more rides the jerking at 4K RPM is still there but less pronounced. If it doesn't go away in another two rides or so I'll try loading the new tune onto the ECU.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement