Flat tire! Oh noes! - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 12-09-12, 02:24   #1
Skotbb

Default Flat tire! Oh noes!

My brand new bike, just got to 500 miles on it, and I found her in the parking lot with a flat tire. Turns out, I picked up a nail on the way to a concert. Looks like I'll be getting a new tire with my first service.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-12, 02:30   #2
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Umm and the point of starting a thread for this is?????????

Old 12-09-12, 07:52   #3
chinski

if its in the centre of tyre get it plugged with a mushroom plug & vucanising glue by a good motorcycle tyre shop & it'll be fine, just had one in mine & fixed for $50, done 1500 klms on it since & all good

Old 12-09-12, 09:35   #4
675R_Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
Umm and the point of starting a thread for this is?????????

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinski View Post
if its in the centre of tyre get it plugged with a mushroom plug & vucanising glue by a good motorcycle tyre shop & it'll be fine, just had one in mine & fixed for $50, done 1500 klms on it since & all good
It seems now that every tire shop i have gone to they say not to use pugs anymore and that the correct way to fix the hole is to patch it from the inside.

I have always used plugs on my car/SUV, but never had a flat on a bike. I haven't brushed up on the current literature to fully understand this change. I can see the logic as a motorcycle tire is a different composition than a car/truck/suv tire, but I really don't know if patching a tire is better than plugging a tire. If so, why?

Can anyone comment on this?

Cheers,

Joe

TO the OP,

Which Tire was it, front or back? Don't know if you are a tire guy and wanted to upgrade, but now would be the chance!

MODS: Arrow Slip-On, GB Racing Protection Bundle, Orbital Tank Pad, Tech Spec Tank Grips, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen

GEAR: ICON Airframe Helmet, ICON ARC Leather/Textile Jacket, ICON Super Duty 3 Boots, Dianese Reflective Vest, Cortech Latigo RR Gaunlet Gloves, Triumph Adventure Overpants, Ogio No Drag Mach 5, Cortech Tank Bag, Triumph Sport Saddle Bags

Old 12-09-12, 10:05   #5
Neanderthal

Patching or plugging a motorcycle tire is a crap-shoot. I've done both, had both work and both fail. After my experiences, if I'm only going to ride around town at less than 50 mph, I'd be fine with fixing the tire. If I know I'm going to be pushing it on the twisty stuff, new tire.
One of the failures (on rear tire) was on the Interstate going about 60-ish mph. I pretty much lost the ability to steer the bike, I had to let it coast and gradually guide it to the shoulder of the road. If I'd been on a tight turn, I'd been in serious trouble.

Old 12-09-12, 12:29   #6
jardineD675

I wouldn't trust a plug with my life, don't be cheap, just plug in order to get home.

Sent from my X10a using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 12-09-12, 12:32   #7
Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardineD675 View Post
I wouldn't trust a plug with my life, don't be cheap, just plug in order to get home.
Seriously, buy a new tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 12-09-12, 14:26   #8
Allworld

I have had both good and bad results from using plugs. I use the gooey rope style that you can buy almost anywhere, I also use it with the sealant also sold along side the plug kits. If the hole has a relatively small diameter and you get the plug in deep enough and use the cement you should be fine. I had a rear tire with 2 plugs and never had any issues. I did plug a tire where the hole was made from a larger diameter screw, it worked for about a mouth and then started to leak, so I just replaced the tire.
It is not ideal to ride on a plugged tire, and I would not do very aggressive riding, if you do, plugged it keep checking the air pressure and if it starts loosing pressure, then replace it.

Old 12-09-12, 14:57   #9
LennyZ87

I had the same thing happen to me, I had my tire plugged for now but am planning on getting new tires this spring, but haven't had an issue yet with the tire leaking. I'd say its just a temporary fix.
1989 Yamaha FZR600 (sold)
cars:
03 Pontiac Grand Am GT
72 AMC Javelin AMX

Old 12-09-12, 15:18   #10
GuiltySparc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardineD675 View Post

Sent from my X10a using Motorcycle.com Free App
This.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement