$50 paint job: multiple colors, sharp lines. You can do it! - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Cosmetic Mods

Old 12-06-12, 15:01   #21
dlk7u

I really like the black borders you added to the white stripes on the side. Really helps to bring the design together and look more "finished".

I actually like your first design a lot, but agree that I probably need to lose a cylinder in order to run with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-12, 18:00   #22
dlk7u

So I actually found an example of a 675 using an 848-style color block on the nose. His pattern is quite close in terms of the side-design that I'm going for, so it gives a pretty good sense of what it might look like. I think it's pretty sharp looking:

Thoughts?

Old 12-09-12, 03:55   #23
firedude
BOTM Winner

like the color scheme and layout. not sure about the lion.

Old 12-09-12, 07:11   #24
sittingturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk7u View Post
The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree. A very narrow (1/8") stripe dividing the color blocks would be a nice effect.

Can you buy colored pin stripes that you apply on top of paint (before the clear)? The plastic tape I'm currently using to achieve my edges is intended for painting pinstripes. But actually painting the accent stripe isnt really an option given my skill level: masking off a 1/8" strip would be a nightmare and the edges would never come out parallel. If there is something I can lay down on top, that would be great.
Yes, I have some on my bike. As its a track bike, I just applied it over the clear coat, but I would have been more protected under the clear... But I figured for easier repairs, I'd leave it on top.

Old 12-09-12, 07:23   #25
sittingturbo

Quote:
Also, I couldn't help myself after I saw the one on the far right. Sorry in advance:

LOL That is all I was able to think of too. Haha, love it.

Old 12-10-12, 11:28   #26
dlk7u

Primed the belly pan over the weekend. Which brings me to my least favorite part: sanding. Hopefully I can finish the prep up this evening and get a first coat down.

Old 12-10-12, 13:22   #27
dlk7u

Updated mock of the front / nose. Current plan is to use a white 1098-style color block that traces the (imaginary) contour of the 2009+ headlights, which I prefer to the 2006 lights. I've incorporated a black pinstripe at the color boundaries per StayAwake's suggestions.

I like the idea of tracing Daytona headlight contours as a way to preserve the look/identity of the bike (even though i'm heavily borrowing from another brand's paint scheme). I want it to be obvious that this is a daytona from a distance. That said, I'm slow as hell, so folks should have plenty of time to contemplate which bike it is as I come by :)

I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to get the outline for the 09 lights. I might have to apply masking tape to an 09 at my garage, trace the outline on that, and then use that outline to lay down 1/8" tape on mine. Typing that out, it sounds like a dicey plan, so i'd love to hear ideas on a better way.

Last edited by dlk7u; 12-10-12 at 13:44.

Old 12-11-12, 14:07   #28
StayAwakeAtWork

You don't have the skills to do it by hand? Get the symmetry by going from low detail to higher detail. I'd just look at it straight on, put down some straight painter's tape from the cockpit down to the under-side of the nose. Move it around until it's symmetrical, then put down your 1/8 tape on the inside of it, add a general horizontal arc, make sure that's symmetrical, then add the headlight detail to the arc and cut away the excess. You can check symmetry by putting your head where the windshield should be and look at the whole thing in a mirror.

Old 12-14-12, 11:23   #29
dlk7u

So I went out for dinner last night, and ended the meal with an "affogato," which is a tasty italian drink that's basically 2 shots of espresso with a scoop of gelato on top. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep until 4AM.

On the plus side, made some progress:

On the down side, I was a sprayed too heavily and got some runs in the paint. I'll probably finish up the (black) bottom part first, then go back and sand and re-coat the red. Getting the red-black line to be parallel with the top edge of the bellypan is tricky - so going back with also let me fix that up.

Old 12-16-12, 05:24   #30
louie3

Quote:
Also, I couldn't help myself after I saw the one on the far right. Sorry in advance:

Lmao!!

Looking good so far man. Can't wait to see the final product. And since you don't have an avatar pic, I nominate this pic for your avatar!!

"Life is all about maximizing experiences and minimizing regrets, and the last thing you want is to regret the experiences you didn't have." -MadMel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement