Cold tires are the devil - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 12-07-12, 20:09   #1
sassafras

Default Cold tires are the devil

So, been a while since I've posted here. School has been busy, but I am nearly done! In about six months I will finally have a real job to go along with my crippling six figure tuition debt. My life will be awesome!

Unfortunately, all this business has meant I haven't gotten to ride my baby very much lately. When I do ride, it always seems to be bad luck. I went for a weekender trip with my dad and got a speeding ticket for coasting down a hill, which needless to say, sucked. Just thought I was over being mad about that and not wanting to ride, so this week I thought I would take my bike into the dealer to have the R/R replaced under the new recall. All of this lack of riding means that I forgot the number one rule about cold tires: Let them warm up!

So, if you haven't guessed yet, I just laid down my beautiful unblemished '10SE for the first time. What's worse, it was at about 5MPH, and right in front of a copper. Of course he was also a rider, so he felt my pain as I was surveying the damage. I am now in need of some parts to fix the damage done.

I won't post them here again, but if you have some RH (passenger side) stuff you want to get rid of that isn't worse off then what I have please help a broke student buddy out.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67202 <--- Take a gander if you will?

Also, how are things with you guys?

sassafras

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-12, 22:55   #2
projectrang

I'm sorry about your luck man. At least you are ok. I know very well the cold tires problem though with riding in the mid to lower 30's a few times last week. I have learned to be extremely slow and easy on the throttle through corners, but I've noticed it spinning when I get on it just a little bit out of a corner quite a few times. It's actually kind of fun if you're expecting it haha

Old 12-07-12, 23:26   #3
Rink675

That sucks man, but at least it was only at 5mph! I know what you mean about cold tires, once the temps started dropping around here I became more and more careful with each turn and using the least amount of lean angle possible.

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Old 12-08-12, 00:42   #4
firedude
BOTM Winner

same exact thing happened to me. mine walked away with scratches and bent levers.

Old 12-08-12, 04:48   #5
sassafras

It's always the first turn that gets you. Before you're really paying attention!

Luckily no frame or engine damage, just scratches and rashed pride.

sassafras

Old 12-08-12, 10:07   #6
Papachristou

first off, NO PICS??????????? secondly, does anyone really know how slow 5mph actually is? i think these bikes actually idle fast than that so i dont know how cold tires caused you to go down at 5mph. can you even lean a bike at 5mph? At the end of the day, rider error is the cause.

anyway, sorry to hear. If you still had the stock pirellis, please ditch them. they are absolutely awful in cold weather. I found some bridgestone bt016s under $200 last year and was amazed how much grip i had in the cold. Im about to order some bridgestone s20s for my new bike.

SE parts will be hard to find.
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Old 12-08-12, 16:59   #7
RedRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectrang View Post
I'm sorry about your luck man. At least you are ok. I know very well the cold tires problem though with riding in the mid to lower 30's a few times last week. I have learned to be extremely slow and easy on the throttle through corners, but I've noticed it spinning when I get on it just a little bit out of a corner quite a few times. It's actually kind of fun if you're expecting it haha
Yup. I ride in 0* weather on Dunlop Q2s. It spins more coming OFF the throttle than getting on it.

Old 12-08-12, 19:00   #8
sassafras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papachristou View Post
first off, NO PICS??????????? secondly, does anyone really know how slow 5mph actually is? i think these bikes actually idle fast than that so i dont know how cold tires caused you to go down at 5mph. can you even lean a bike at 5mph? At the end of the day, rider error is the cause.

anyway, sorry to hear. If you still had the stock pirellis, please ditch them. they are absolutely awful in cold weather. I found some bridgestone bt016s under $200 last year and was amazed how much grip i had in the cold. Im about to order some bridgestone s20s for my new bike.

SE parts will be hard to find.
Most definitely rider error. It was more like 15 mph, but I was exaggerating for effect. The turn was from my driveway, so there was a little slope, which means that coupled with an aggressive right turn and a little too much throttle as I leaned it up means it went right out from underneath me. If it wasn't 35 degrees out and wet, I don't know that the tires would have slid, but c'est la vie, lesson learned.

And I am long past those stock Pirellis. Not only were they shit in the cold, but they got maybe 2,000 miles of on road driving before they were bald. I'm running Power Pures now and I like them, though this was my first truly cold day on them.

Also, The good news is that aside from the plastics, I didn't break anything unique to the SE. Luckily, too, my frame and metal painted bits are fine. Hooray!

sassafras

Old 12-08-12, 22:47   #9
Smoke

Glad you're alright and learnd your lesson.

Pirellis teach you to warm your tyres up, never had a problem once they're awake... And they worked flawlessly on snow, I kinda doubt you can top that

And:

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Old 12-08-12, 23:24   #10
jardineD675

U need to invest in gb racing sliders, I heard nothing of u scrapen those up, those would of saved ur bike a ton

Sent from my X10a using Motorcycle.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement