Flecks/grit in oil? - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair

Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

Old 11-29-12, 09:32   #11
Moeman

May be its residue from the earlier oil changes as you might have not drained every drop of the old oil from break ins for example completely so such flakes were left behind OR from an older unchanged oil filter that were inside the filter for quite some time but just came out with the current oil change .
Usually it's always a good practice to change the oil while the bike is slightly warm as that helps with the flow of oil and get anything and everything out of the motor . When you changed the oil before did you always change the oil filter as well or did not reason i am asking cause of what you stated that might also be a reason for the shavings they accumulated in the filter but just rolled out during this oil change I think you should be alright

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-12, 10:05   #12
Neanderthal

Get a good magnetic drain bolt as well. There's a link buried in a thread somewhere. Some metallic residue is normal wear and tear, especially the first few changes.

Old 11-29-12, 14:42   #13
archetypicalone

Magnetic plug is going to be purchased. And to those who asked, its had one previous oil change change, and I don't know if they did the filter. And yes I warm the bike up (or do it when I get home from a ride).

And argh! It's mimicking my boyfriend! And it ate my cellphone! It's evil oil out to dominate the world! :p

Old 12-07-12, 19:15   #14
MadMel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Ward View Post
Oh my god!
This is far worse then you think. I can clearly see a human face in your catch pan. You better get this checked out right away!
Ghost in the machine.

Old 12-07-12, 20:34   #15
dabird

Send a message via Yahoo to dabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypicalone View Post
Magnetic plug is going to be purchased. And to those who asked, its had one previous oil change change, and I don't know if they did the filter. And yes I warm the bike up (or do it when I get home from a ride).

And argh! It's mimicking my boyfriend! And it ate my cellphone! It's evil oil out to dominate the world! :p
A lot of the stuff in oil will not adhere to magnet. copper brass alumnium etc. A good oil filter should trap most filings. Personaly I use a hacksaw and cut my filter open to see what has been trapped. As Kegdale said it's probably normal wear. As far as the face in the pan, I feel quite sure it will disappear when you reinstal the pan.

Old 12-08-12, 06:11   #16
archetypicalone

I was going to cut the filter open, but took it whole to the dealer and they disposed of it :( all is well according to triumph, completely normal! Always nice to hear from the dealer lol :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 12-08-12, 07:27   #17
Moeman

Glad to read its all good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement