Suspension Books Thread - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > All Things Suspension

Old 12-07-12, 10:14   #1
MacaveliMC

Default Suspension Books Thread

While we can learn quite a bit from reading, the best way to improve our riding form and skills is to actually get out on the track and lay down some rubber.

But when it comes to suspension, translating feel on the track to turning knobs on your fork (giggity?) may take a bit more book knowledge.

I've done some searching on this forum, and the only real book I've found mentioned significantly was Sportbike Suspension Tuning, by Andrew Trevitt, which I promptly added to my Christmas list . Of course we can learn a lot from a suspension seminar as well, but for those of us that may not be able to attend, or just like to teach ourselves, maybe we can get a list of books you guys have come across and would gladly vouch for. Personally I get a bit overwhelmed when I search Amazon and 15 books come up, all that sound the same.

(Also, just a note to admins, it may not be a bad idea to have a sticky in one of the sections of recommended or highly regarded literature, of all kinds....just a thought )

Recommended books:
Sportbike Suspension Tuning - Andrew Trevitt

Mentioned books:
Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible - Paul Thede
Performance Riding Techniques: The MotoGP Manual of Track Riding Skills - Andy Ibbott (suspension info in the back via Keith Code)

"I actually just have my throttle cable pulled so its
wide open even when i start the bike. balls to the
wall is how i live, screw stoplights and slow people."
- TwoWheeledWonder

Last edited by MacaveliMC; 12-07-12 at 14:26.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-12, 10:57   #2
sittingturbo

I have only browsed through it, but I'd like to buy it... The Race Tech Suspension book.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0760331405

Old 12-07-12, 12:32   #3
MacaveliMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingturbo View Post
I have only browsed through it, but I'd like to buy it... The Race Tech Suspension book.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0760331405
I saw that one on Amazon as well, the reviews seemed positive. I'd like to hear from people who've read it before we have it as a recommendation.

I did put another book on my list, not a suspension book, but a riding book called Motorcycle Dynamics. If I get it I'll let ya'll know how it is.

- TwoWheeledWonder

Old 12-07-12, 12:35   #4
sittingturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacaveliMC View Post
I saw that one on Amazon as well, the reviews seemed positive. I'd like to hear from people who've read it before we have it as a recommendation.

I did put another book on my list, not a suspension book, but a riding book called Motorcycle Dynamics. If I get it I'll let ya'll know how it is.
Well I'll let you know then, I just bought it.

Old 12-07-12, 13:02   #5
Polystigma

Before falling asleep last night, I said to myself "You need a book on suspension". Good timing with this thread. Awaiting your feedback.

Old 12-07-12, 13:04   #6
Rink675

This book isn't a full suspension book, however in the back of the book Keith Code has a section about understanding what each suspension adjustment does and how to dial in your suspension using a step by step process.

I have read the book myself and found the information to be pretty helpful but I haven't raced yet so for someone who is an expert class racer may not find as much new information as I did.

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Ri...ing+techniques

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Old 12-07-12, 14:16   #7
MacaveliMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingturbo View Post
Well I'll let you know then, I just bought it.
We're looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearo View Post
Before falling asleep last night, I said to myself "You need a book on suspension". Good timing with this thread. Awaiting your feedback.
Nice! I've said that to myself many times, I just decided to address it now since I'll have the opportunity to maybe pick up a book or two for free via Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink675 View Post
This book isn't a full suspension book, however in the back of the book Keith Code has a section about understanding what each suspension adjustment does and how to dial in your suspension using a step by step process.

I have read the book myself and found the information to be pretty helpful but I haven't raced yet so for someone who is an expert class racer may not find as much new information as I did.

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Ri...ing+techniques
Nice, hopefully we can get some more consensus on that and maybe list it as a recommendation. How was the rest of the book?

- TwoWheeledWonder

Old 12-07-12, 14:30   #8
MacaveliMC

Edited the OP to add books recommended and mentioned. I figured the first one was mentioned enough in my searching to recommend it, and we'll wait on the other two until we have more consensus.

- TwoWheeledWonder

Old 12-07-12, 15:06   #9
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

The RaceTech Suspension Bible by Paul Thede--a friend of mine has it and it REALLY gets into it...it may be a little too advanced. I would start with Sportbike Suspension Tuning by Andrew Trevitt then move to RaceTech's Suspension Bible

However, to have as many books and learn from them and then mold and develop your own methods for diagnosing problems or steps for ideal setup with suspension is the way to go. Suspension is a black art and there is more than one way to get the setup you desire. If you talk to different suspension guys...every one of them I have met has different approaches.

For example. I was taught one way how to measure and set preload via attending a shop class held at Privateer's Garage, saw and read Paul Thede's method of measuring sag, and saw Randy from Inhouse Suspension's. The process was the same but the points of measuring were different...the end result was proper sag numbers though.

If only Dave Moss would write a book. If he has...PLEASE let me know!!!

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Last edited by tooblekain; 12-07-12 at 15:12.

Old 12-07-12, 19:36   #10
Dave73

I have the Race Tech book. Got it last month and finished it in two sittings. I didn't think it was advanced enough. It has a lot of information on "how" the various components work, but I was looking for more information on valving, shim changes, tuning, HSC vs LSC, etc.

The book does read like a Race Tech commercial. They mention their products as the fix for many things....some of which may not be broken.

It does have a section on troubleshooting, but like most written guides it is important to make sure the rider and the tuner are speaking the same language. If the operator does not know what he is looking for, or cant describe what is wrong, then things like this lose their value.

The book concludes with a section on the disassembly and reassembly of a few different shocks and forks. ITs neat to look at, but again its missing what I would call critical info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement