Low Idle and Stalling - Page 7 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 10-27-10, 21:37   #61
wiggeywackyo

wuzertheloser, how did this turn out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-10, 22:41   #62
wuzertheloser
BOTM Winner

problem is fixed for now
idle seems fine in TuneECU (1200 rpms)
i'll probably need to adjust the fueling a bit as it idles a little rough....but other than that's its good!

Old 10-28-10, 02:58   #63
PanzerIVman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I don't know anything about Power Commanders (except that they are an unnecessary add-on on Triumphs) so I can't help you there.
Not many do like Power Commanders. Mine came with one so I've just left it on. Anyway rode my girl to work today and shes fine. A1

Old 10-28-10, 09:58   #64
wiggeywackyo

So all you did was adjust the ISM?

Old 10-28-10, 10:01   #65
wuzertheloser
BOTM Winner

yup! according to what MacBandit said to do

Old 12-06-12, 20:47   #66
spargett

Just read through this thread. I'm having the same issue on 2010 with 33k, just out of warranty. The bike will intermittently idle erratically after warmed up, often stalling if I don't keep the revs up.

Another symptom I've noticed along with it, is that sometimes when turning the bike on the stepper motor won't do anything and the bike won't start. Push the starter and nothing. Turn the bike off and wait a while, usually the motor will kick back in and then the bike will start. But slightly more labored than usual, a few extra clicks before the engine roars to life.

Think this is the stepper motor needing calibration? Tough for me to take in since the bike is my daily rider.

Old 12-06-12, 21:34   #67
MacBandit

So you turn on the key and wait a couple seconds and the stepper motor never runs?

Old 12-06-12, 22:13   #68
spargett

Yes, nothing happens. But this is much more intermittent than the idle, happening only 2-3 times over the past few weeks. The first time it happened was after my idle was acting funny for the first time ever while at a light... then bike stalled. I tried to start the bike again, but nothing. I quickly pushed the bike out of the intersection, tried to start it, and still nothing. Turn the bike back off and waited about 10-15 seconds. Took a breath, turned it on and it fired up and I was off.

Since then I haven't let the bike stall, always keeping the throttle open a bit if it starts to become erratic. But a couple times when turn the bike on for the first time the ISM won't run, and the bike won't start (what I was mentioning earlier). I turn the key off for a few seconds then turn it back on and it fires up.

At first I thought the idle problem was a vacuum hose since I had removed the tank somewhat recently. I propped it up one night to check the hoses, everything looked good, but I still wiggled and seated the hoses anyway. The bike ran perfect and idled solid for a few days afterwards so I thought I had fixed it. But it's returned since then.

Also checked battery terminals (secure). Checked the battery level (bike is charging it up and holding a charge), and reset the TPS by not touching the throttle until the fan kicks on. I don't use the kill switch, always keep it on.

Sorry if that was long winded, hope that's thorough and clear. I, as well as many others appreciate you lending your expertise in helping.

Quote:
So you turn on the key and wait a couple seconds and the stepper motor never runs?

Old 12-06-12, 23:04   #69
MacBandit

No worries about being long winded. Often the more the better.

Okay so there may be more to this then just adjustments but this is what I would start with. Reload your map using TuneECU and let the ECU relearn the adaptation values. Try it out. If that doesn't work then adjust the ISM and TPS (it's all the same procedure) and see if that does it. If not then we'll go from there.

Oh, also. Do you have a charcoal canister on your bike? If so remove it first and see how it works without it. They're a frequent cause for stalling. They get plugged and then you develop negative air pressure in the fuel tank so the fuel pressure drops and then the bike starts stalling. The stalling could also screw up the idle adaptation values which would make it hard starting.

Old 12-13-12, 18:12   #70
spargett

Update: Solved the idle problem.

I wanted to wait a few days to make sure it was solved, and it looks like it is. I started to get the feeling that it was more of an electrical issue. Many of the symptoms were similar to a R/R issue (which I've experienced twice) but gentler. Pulsing backlight on instruments, ISM acting funny, headlights sometimes dimming in sync with blinkers. All of this intermittent so it was hard to easily test patterns. I checked voltage throughout and couldn't find anything off (again intermittent). Battery was charged, bike was producing about 14v at idle. I had a Scorpio i900 alarm that stopped working after my stator and R/R recently fried. I'm assuming this was related, even though the alarms fuse was still intact. I removed the alarm system from the bike and sure enough. That fixed it. Everything went right back to normal. Started fast, idled great. No other issues with ISM or dash pulsing. Guessing the alarm was somehow leaching voltage sometimes (slowly growing worse). Just enough to effect the bike when idling and not producing as much current? Maybe a resistor fried the alarm?

In any case, I don't fully understand exactly what was happening, but it was clear that removing the dead alarm fixed it.

Quote:
No worries about being long winded. Often the more the better.

Okay so there may be more to this then just adjustments but this is what I would start with. Reload your map using TuneECU and let the ECU relearn the adaptation values. Try it out. If that doesn't work then adjust the ISM and TPS (it's all the same procedure) and see if that does it. If not then we'll go from there.

Oh, also. Do you have a charcoal canister on your bike? If so remove it first and see how it works without it. They're a frequent cause for stalling. They get plugged and then you develop negative air pressure in the fuel tank so the fuel pressure drops and then the bike starts stalling. The stalling could also screw up the idle adaptation values which would make it hard starting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement