$50 paint job: multiple colors, sharp lines. You can do it! - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Cosmetic Mods

Old 12-06-12, 10:17   #1
dlk7u

Default $50 paint job: multiple colors, sharp lines. You can do it!

Hi everyone:

I just wanted to post up some pictures of my efforts to repaint a second-hand set of sharkskinz I picked up for my new (used) bike.

Here's what I started with:

Here's what I'm going for:

I just finished painting the tail last night (clear goes on this weekend), and I'm really, really happy with the results so far:

The real reason I wanted to put these pictures was to show that it is possible to do multiple colors on a rattlecan job and get sharp dividing lines:

The secret is 1/8" 3M plastic tape (also known as pinstripe tape). Unlike traditional painting/masking tape, the vinyl/plastic tape bends and stretches, which allows you to trace curves while still giving a nice sharp line. After I laid the tape down, I used a knife edge to make sure that it sealed well.

One additional trick that I've heard, but did not use, is to "seal" the edge of the tape by first spraying a coat of the "other" color (i.e., the color on the far side of the tape), then laying down the color you really want. that way, the color that bleeds through is the same as the color on the far side, so the bleeding will not be visible.

I still have a long way to go in this project. the finish is not perfect by any means. there are runs, and orange peel, and lots of other defects. but those are really due to my own laziness in prep, not an inherent problem with the rattlecan method. I'm convinced that any bleeding I experienced was due to poor prep, not the tape.

Bottom line: for something that I spray painted (with no experience) on top of a cardboard box sitting on a dirty street in front of my apartment, especially after doing at most a 5/8 ass job on the prep, I'm pretty happy with the results!

More pictures to follow!

Last edited by dlk7u; 12-06-12 at 10:32.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-12, 10:49   #2
bmw4422

Looking good. Can't wait to see the final results.

Also, good tip on the pinstripe. I never thought of that.

Last edited by bmw4422; 12-06-12 at 10:50. Reason: Pinstripe

Old 12-06-12, 10:49   #3
StayAwakeAtWork

Beauty! Love the design, (but anything is better than that neon green and orange disaster)

Does the bike have gold wheels like your photoshop job? Along the edges of red, black, and white I would put some 1/4" or 1/8" gold pinstripe tape, or black-stripe on the border of red-white, white on the border of black-red, red on the border of black-white. (I don't know how you'd do the 3 stripes interacting in the tail, though) Pinstripe really makes a paint scheme pop and look a lot more clean and professional, in my opinion.

Either way, good job!

Old 12-06-12, 10:50   #4
noclue90

Good work. Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Old 12-06-12, 11:18   #5
dlk7u

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to prep and prime the upper and lower this weekend. Good bye day-glo orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAwakeAtWork View Post
Does the bike have gold wheels like your photoshop job?
Good catch. No gold wheels on mine. I have an '06 in the charcoal color, so the rims are grey, I believe. I think they'll go we'll enough with these colors for now, although black powdercoat or gold w/ the accents you sugested would be nice.

My garage-mate has a Street Trip w/ black wheels, so maybe I'll "trade" for his when he isn't looking :)

Old 12-06-12, 11:29   #6
dlk7u

Also, StayAwake- Your wood-paneled bike is amazing! It's a nice antidote to all the seriousness you see in the paddock, and should let you tell women that your bike smells of rich mahogany.

Old 12-06-12, 11:34   #7
Moeman

Brilliant looking man I like it a lot keep them pictures coming start a write up thread when you have the time would be great to share the knowledge you got thanks

Old 12-06-12, 11:44   #8
StayAwakeAtWork

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk7u View Post
Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to prep and prime the upper and lower this weekend. Good bye day-glo orange.

Good catch. No gold wheels on mine. I have an '06 in the charcoal color, so the rims are grey, I believe. I think they'll go we'll enough with these colors for now, although black powdercoat or gold w/ the accents you sugested would be nice.

My garage-mate has a Street Trip w/ black wheels, so maybe I'll "trade" for his when he isn't looking :)
If there's no gold, maybe a 1/8" grey or pewter pin-stripe (to match your wheels) to separate the colours. I'm telling you, it'll make all the difference.

Thanks for liking my vinyl-job, track day guys like it, all the racers hate it, but all the racers' girlfriends love it. Ha! Our designs look pretty similar, but I like the lines of your lower fairing better, much faster looking.

Old 12-06-12, 11:45   #9
FRide5385

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk7u View Post
Thanks guys!

Things that won't be happening.

Old 12-06-12, 12:08   #10
Disrupt

Pretty bad ass especially since your painting in an apartment, are you in Manhattan? some of those buildings look familiar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement