Quality Machine Co.lightened OEM rotors - Page 6 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 10-06-09, 01:55   #51
bergs

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.ramaswamy View Post
This is incorrect.

First of all, Pressure is defined as Force per unit Area. Pressure = Force / Area.
But regardless of that definition, the hydraulic connected to the brake-pad applies a constant Normal force, not a constant Pressure.

So the relevant equation is F = u * N. Note that Area has NO RELEVANCE on braking force.

However, P = N / A (where N is constant). So increasing the Area serves to reduce the pressure applied to the disc. Therefore there is less heat dissipation per unit Area - the disc runs cooler. Now this can be a second-order effect on braking efficiency - not sure whether hot vs cool discs are more/less effective.
it all depends on the material. cast iron rotors are really good at dissipating heat, stainless ones have a much higher thermal impedance. GP rotors are carbon ceramic, which need to be super hot to get full grip, so they have an even higher thermal impedance. the pads need to be suited to the rotor material and operating temperature.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-09, 11:47   #52
MTPockets

The rotors look pretty sweet. I don't think I'd be too quick to do the fronts, but cutting away the rear like that is pretty common practice.
For sure the pad wear on the front is going to be pretty rapid due to the increased surface of edges. That's the idea behind wave rotors, but even the big names in brake disk manufacturing have avoided cutting away the interior of the front disks like that.

Old 12-04-12, 02:59   #53
Logans08Daytona675

waste of money from my point of view.... If you understand physics that well you should be helping Triumph Design them... There is a reason why Rotors are the way they are. Pedal rotors are much different than taking your stock rotor and cutting it.

28,000 miles and counting

Old 12-05-12, 23:41   #54
TriumphChris675

i have brake tech ductile iron rotors on my 675 trackbike. i love them
current mods... jardine pipe,TOR map,hyperpro damper,Apexcone hid's,pilot power2ct's,gilles rearsets,sharkskinz race plastics,power broze windscreen,520did conversion,elka 3way shock,tri gelseat,battery tender,blue winscreen bolts,blue reflective rimtape,copmwerkes fender eliminator,helibars,snakeskins/techspec tankgrips,blue progrips......more to come

Sponsored Links
Advertisement